• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam needs to step up this year

Now lets compare that to the other games. 

Id wager we saw man coverage maybe 20-30% of the time throughout the entire season. 

Most teams run base zone D. 

Right now you need to get some proof... All this "i'm willing to wager and most teams do this'' doesn't actually count as facts..

Example ... I'm pretty sure Philly had a DE man on Man with cothchery at least 3 plays..

I'm willing to wager most teams double Olsen and KB and played man on the rest of the garbage we put on the field.. I'm willing to wager the only time they played Zone is when Cam started showing he could run again.. So they had to play Zones to keep eyes on him... Other than that most teams played Man on suckass Cotchery and the rest of the BS WR's after KB..

Right now you need to get some proof... All this "i'm willing to wager and most teams do this'' doesn't actually count as facts..

Example ... I'm pretty sure Philly had a DE man on Man with cothchery at least 3 plays..

I'm willing to wager most teams double Olsen and KB and played man on the rest of the garbage we put on the field.. I'm willing to wager the only time they played Zone is when Cam started showing he could run again.. So they had to play Zones to keep eyes on him... Other than that most teams played Man on suckass Cotchery and the rest of the BS WR's after KB..

we both need proof to be mentioning man vs zone. 

one could argue you need it more for the man arguments as its well known most teams play zone and playing man against Cam is not very ideal with his ability to take off. 

For the people talking about the years before last seasons horrid Oline...

2011 Oline rankings... number on the right is the season before.

9. Carolina Panthers (7th)

Run Rank 5th, Pass Rank 18th, Penalties Rank 19th

Outside of the problem right tackle spot, this is a line that does a particularly good job in opening holes for their backs. They also afford Cam Newton ample time when it comes to making plays. It’s not flashy, but it is effective.

Best Player: Over the past few years, Jordan Gross (+11.5) has worked within his limitations to become one of the most dependable left tackles in the league. Kudos.

Worst Player: In an ideal world Byron Bell (-26.2) wouldn’t have seen any action, but injuries to Geoff Schwartz and Jeff Otah (+1.6) robbed the Panthers of the two guys on the roster capable of playing RT. It’s not an ideal world and Bell was horrible in every phase of the game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/23/ranking-the-2011-offensive-lines-part-2/

2012 Oline rankings... number on the right is the season before.

27. Carolina Panthers (9)

PB – 27th, RB – 23rd, PEN – 14th

Stud: As is often the case, it’s the ever reliable Jordan Gross (+16.4) who continues to get the job done, even if his performance in Week 17 was the worst we’ve ever seen from him. He may never be an elite tackle, but at least he’s more than a one-tricky pony.

Dud: There was a close competition but ultimately the inability of Geoff Hangartner (-14.5) to get any push in the run game meant he was the way to go.

Summary: The Panthers haven’t been shy about investing draft picks on the line, but with the injury to Ryan Kalil this year it fell apart. Amini Silatolu looked every bit the rookie, while Byron Bell isn’t good enough, often enough, to be a starter in this league yet.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/

2013 Oline rankings... number on the right is the season before.

7. Carolina Panthers (27th)
PB: 10th, RB: 7th, PEN: 6th

Stud: It’s been a year to remember for Jordan Gross (+33.5). Retirement had been talked about, but surely he won’t quit when playing this well?

Dud: When you convert a defensive linemen to starting right guard there are going to be teething problems. That said, they can be relieved that Nate Chandler (-9.0) wasn’t the total liability he could have been.

Analysis: A big part of their offensive turnaround. They lost Amini Silatolu to injury but Travelle Wharton came in and played lights out in his 851 snaps. Throw in the good (although media overrated) play of Ryan Kalil and it’s really just the right side of the line you look at and think they could do with upgrading the talent/ experience level there.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/13/2013-offensive-line-rankings/4/

2014 Oline rankings... number on the right is the season before.

22. Carolina Panthers (7th)

Pass Blocking Ranking: 27th, Run Blocking Ranking: 15th, Penalties Ranking: 3rd

Stud: While his work in pass protection was suspect, you have to appreciate the run blocking of Ryan Kalil that contributed to his +6.6 grade.

Dud: The move to left tackle was no easier for Byron Bell (-33.4) who continues to give up too much pressure.

Breakdown: All things considered, this could have been a lot worse. After losing studs Jordan Gross and Travelle Wharton to retirement and dealing with injuries during the season, they tried a number of different combinations with more success than you had any right to imagine. A bit of special praise here for the pickup of Andrew Norwell who has been something of a revelation.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/2/

So, you say Cam has been inconsistent...? :huh:

Now toss in his RB's have been injured on and off through out his career as well. Hindering the Run game... creating the Passing game some issues. Last season He himself was injured.

Least we not forget the great number of productive Pass catchers cam has had in his career...

2011 WR's & TE's

• Darvin Adams
  • Seyi Ajirotutu
  • Armanti Edwards PR
  • Brandon LaFell
  • Kealoha Pilares KR
  • Steve Smith
  • Legedu Naanee (IR)
  • David Gettis (IR)
  • Richie Brockel FB
  • Ben Hartsock
  • Greg Olsen
  • Jeremy Shockey

2012 WR's and TE's

• Joe Adams
  • Armanti Edwards
  • David Gettis
  • Brandon LaFell
  • Louis Murphy
  • Steve Smith
  • Kealoha Pilares (IR)
  • Gary Barnidge
  • Ben Hartsock
  • Greg Olsen

2013 WR's and TE's

• Ted Ginn, Jr.
  • Domenik Hixon
  • Tavarres King
  • Brandon LaFell
  • Marvin McNutt
  • Steve Smith
  • Kealoha Pilares (IR)
  • Richie Brockel
  • Ben Hartsock
  • Greg Olsen
  • Brandon William

2014 WR's and TE's

• Kelvin Benjamin
  • Jerricho Cotchery
  • Jason Avant
  • Brenton Bersin
  • Cory Brown
  • Richie Brockel
  • Ben Hartsock
  • Greg Olsen
  • Brandon William
  • Ed Dickson

Now, again, I'm not saying Cam is perfect. or that he doesn't have things to work on. Because he does have a lot of things to work on. BUT... to get better at something, don't you kinda need a consistent base line to start off on?

2015 looks to have a better Oline at the moment. the WR's (Cotchery, KB, Olsen, Dickson, Ginn, Brown) all now going into at least their Second season with Cam tossing them the ball. Well.. Consistency? Right?

Stew healthy, and Tolbert. That's good!

And Cam himself healthy.

Yes, it's time to prove his worth. But, I think a lot of people forget the Offense as a whole runs THROUGH Cam... but isn't JUST Cam.

well there you go the perfect proof Cam is the answer.

He's got his mind made up. Why waste my proverbial breath when he's not open to discussing it. He expressed his opinion, so I expressed mine. If one of us proves the other wrong, does that mean the loser will like the winner? No. The loser will just think the winner is an a$$hole. And what's the point if we're all Panther fans? Feel like arguing? Go to the Atlanta or New Orleans or Tampa board. You can make plenty of enemies there.

So his play is of elite status? Basically doesnt need to improve much? 

Smh

I say he's got the need talent and specifics down. he needs to be more consistent. (as previously stated by many)... to be consistent, you need a consistent baseline to start from.

That baseline may be starting this season.

You can't deny that he's got the skills. they need to be refined with consistency. Thus my last post... nothing has been consistent for him. At all.

Hell, I didn't even mention OC changes.

Maybe if our front office stops drafting defense and starts spending money on free agents than Cam can be the elite QB you want him to be.

As it stands Cam's number 2 receiver is a converted TE who had a ton of drops, is slow as dirt, and is a rookie to top it off. And his LT is a guy in his 3rd team in 3 years. Personally I'm not expecting much from Cam this upcoming season.

So his play is of elite status? Basically doesnt need to improve much?

Smh

Is that is what I said?

Luke Kuechly can improve too. And Star. And Kelvin Benjamin. Philly Brown.

Basically everybody on the team can improve.

Cam has improved and I believe will continue to improve

And lol at the idiots who think Cam should be on Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady level at this stage in his career.

Those guys were not even on the Peyton Manning, Dree Brees, Tom Brady level when they were 24 years old.

How about just letting Cam develop and putting right pieces in place around him so he doesn't have to try and carry the offense?

I say he's got the need talent and specifics down. he needs to be more consistent. (as previously stated by many)... to be consistent, you need a consistent baseline to start from.

That baseline may be starting this season.

You can't deny that he's got the skills. they need to be refined with consistency. Thus my last post... nothing has been consistent for him. At all.

Hell, I didn't even mention OC changes.

He has all the talent in the world. Just hasnt put it together yet and been consistent. 

Is that is what I said?

Luke Kuechly can improve too. And Star. And Kelvin Benjamin. Philly Brown.

Basically everybody on the team can improve.

Cam has improved and I believe will continue to improve

Their play is elite status. Well Luke's is. But he also can improve, but if he doesnt its ok because he is already one of the best if not the best MLB in the NFL. 

Archived