• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pierre Thomas FA

Roebling

This guy is a beast. We have all seen him tear people up. The past 4 seasons he has had 50, 39, 77, and 45 receptions. He is an excellent third down running back, and is a respectable runner, averaging 5.1, 4.5, 3.7, and 4.9 YPC. In the past four seasons, he has missed 6 games. That's not bad at all.

This guy would step in and form a committee made up of Stewart, Payne, Thomas. Payne is more of a thumper 1-2 down back, while Stewart and Thomas both are well rounded backs, Stewart is the stronger runner, and Thomas is the better receiver. The guy could be had cheap, and I think he would be a solid addition for us. He does everything you want out of a running back on 3rd down. He runs, catches, blocks. He's everything you want. 

I think signing Thomas would form an RB core that has has multiple forms of attacking the opposing defense and provides insurance behind Stewart. Imagine this roster if Stewart went down.

Some other free agents:
Knowshown Moreno
Ahmad Bradshaw

Edit: Some formatting

I wouldn't be against it at all, seems like the sort of in-division guy that Gman has picked up in the last couple of seasons, may have some insight on the Saints offence that he can share.

Also wouldn't count in compensatory pick formula as released (not that I think that matters if hardy doesn't play 10 games). All depends on whether he signs for a reasonable amount. 

Would probably be okay with this, but I do like Fozzy and Reaves and want to see some more out of them before completely being completely buried on the depth chart.

I think Reaves is done. He averaged 2.4 YPC and little to no pass protection. What's the point of even waiting around for him to develop, when he has no desirable traits worth waiting on. Fozzy does everything he does, except better. 

If Stewart went down I wouldn't be worried too much. RBs are pretty much plug and play if you have a line that can block.

This seems to be the popular opinion at the moment but I really think its a bit of a stretch and undersells the position, mainly because there has been a lack of standout RB talent drafted high in the last few years (up until this year). 

Yes a line and the scheme has a huge impact on the running game, but you can't expect to replace someone of Stewart's experience and talent with a no name and expect similar production, we should have learnt that lesson when we were starting Reaves and Ogbonnaya half way through the season and our running game took a dive. 

Its no accident that the same names (Lacy, Mccoy, Lynch, Foster etc...) are at the top of the tree the last few years, they're all first and second round draft picks. 

Foster was undrafted and so was Pierre Thomas. I used a phrase that was a bit stronger than I intended. However if you have a stable of running backs like we do I don't think you need two first round picks in order to feel safe. Stewart and Toller and Fozzy seems a good foundation to me.

This seems to be the popular opinion at the moment but I really think its a bit of a stretch and undersells the position, mainly because there has been a lack of standout RB talent drafted high in the last few years (up until this year). 

Yes a line and the scheme has a huge impact on the running game, but you can't expect to replace someone of Stewart's experience and talent with a no name and expect similar production, we should have learnt that lesson when we were starting Reaves and Ogbonnaya half way through the season and our running game took a dive. 

Its no accident that the same names (Lacy, Mccoy, Lynch, Foster etc...) are at the top of the tree the last few years, they're all first and second round draft picks. 

Foster went undrafted.... But I get your point. Also, everyone, except Payne, has proven to be best when only receiving a change of pace role. Our whole set of RB's were very underwhelming without Williams or Stewart out there carrying most of the load. 

Foster was undrafted and so was Pierre Thomas. I used a phrase that was a bit stronger than I intended. However if you have a stable of running backs like we do I don't think you need two first round picks in order to feel safe. Stewart and Toller and Fozzy seems a good foundation to me.

Good catch with Foster, but like WRs I think he's the exception to the rule. I think with Stewart we're ok as long as he holds up, and we have plenty of average depth. But if there's a serious injury to Stewart (and I'm not saying hold a first rounder in reserve just in case) I think Thomas has the experience to carry the load better than Fozzy/Todman/Artis payne. 

Moving forward and past Stewart, I don't think the answer is currently on the roster. Unless one of our backup guys surprises us and blows up, I'd like to see a high round investment in RB to nail the position down. 

Archived