• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Garage door experts?

Bronn

Anyone had much experience working with garage doors?

The powerhead on our unit was acting up earlier in the week. Turns out, I needed to reset the limits for some reason. In the process, I got the motor too hot and it cut power to the whole unit (wall switch and threshold safety beam) until I let it cool down a while. Also in the process of removing the back panel to inspect for potential issues, I think I damaged the MHz receiver board. I found a small component that seemed like it had one of it's posts pulled out of the board. I even tried to reattach, but I am still having the below issue.

Basically, my wife's Homelink wouldn't reprogram. Then I found out our visor clips wouldn't program.

Per instructions on YouTube and the web, I've cleared the receiver's memory by holding down the "Learn" button for a while. But I just couldn't get it to then recognize any of our transmitters.

The "Learn" button and the LED seem to be working fine, it just isn't learning the transmissions of our devices.

I've ordered a replacement receiver board. I hope that is all it takes to get it working again.

Meanwhile, our wall switch is operating the door fine. We're just having to pull the vehicle out, go in and close the door via wall switch inside the garage, and then go back out to the vehicle through the front door of the house.

The door drive is a Genie Pro Screw Drive and is about 12 years old. But I would rather spend $44 on this board, if it fixes it, than $200 plus for a new powerhead/operator.

Anyone with any experience with these doors or a similar issue?

Thanks!

Sheesh for someone who is needing help you seem to your poo. I guarantee you know more about garage doors than I know about anything. What the fug is a MHz receiver board anyway? I got the dumbs

I only learned it because I am trying the DIY repair method lol...

basically, this:

91jnkln1EFL._SL1500_.jpg

It is what reads the signal your visor clip opener device, or Homelink system, is sending out to open up your garage door when you pull into your driveway.

When I opened the powerhead up it was surprising how not-so-complex it was. It has a main circuit board, a motor, this receiver board, a power supply, and a capacitor.

I just hope that my theory that it is this one board is correct. It should take like 2 minutes to install once it arrives. There is a plug to connect it to the powerhead, and screw to hold it into place.

Do you have a multi-meter or Flute Tool? It's really simple to test the circuitry of the system. Unfortunately, I doubt the only thing you fried is the receiver board.

Everything works fine, minus the receiver. The door now functions as normal via the wall switch. The only thing that doesn't work is the receiver.

Ouch!

As an update, my new board arrived yesterday. I hooked it up and it programmed the receivers. Job complete, and it cost me @ $45.

GL with your chains, Salty... I hate to hear your door is broke now. It's a PITA doing workarounds until you can get it repaired.

Archived