• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shots Fired

Shadow

http://www.canescountry.com/2015/7/2/8882109/peter-karmanos-addresses-raleigh-media

Hurricanes owner Peter Karmanos:  

Early on, he was asked if he felt responsible for the Alexander Semin signing.

"Yes, ultimately, I'm responsible for everything," replied the owner.  "I do not have to take responsibility for Pittsburgh signing Kessel, however".  (And so it begins.)

Then suddenly, out of the blue he spoke again about Pittsburgh.

"All right, Pittsburgh has no first round picks anymore.  They traded their first round pick from the year before.  They traded their first round pick this year and they traded their first round pick for next year.  But they do have Kessel, who may score as many goals as Alex Semin did.  All right?  And I don't have to take credit for that."

I just want to ask my teams owner, you salty or nah?  Because seems like shots fired to me.  

When asked about his own team, Karmanos said that he's never been more excited about a team.

"In two years, if we don't have the very best defense in the league, we will be at or near the top.  I believe you build winning teams from the goal line out.  I'm very happy with our goalie situation at this point in time.  I think in the next year or two, we will have eight top notch guys. "

This is one thing that I do agree with.  But in the short term, instead of losing games 6-3, they're going to lose them 2-1 because the Hurricanes still can't score.  

And it's not like the Hurricanes don't have talent; E. Stall, J. Stall, Skinner, and Lindholm are talented forwards.  Victor Rask is coming along.  With Semin bought out there is a big hole at RW.  You wouldn't be wrong to argue that even with Semin still a Hurricane, there was still a big hole at RW.  The second and third lines for the Hurricanes is a mess.  The problem here is that the AHL cupboard is great when it comes to defensemen, it's bare as hell when it comes to NHL ready forwards.    

I might catch flak for this but I would not be opposed to getting what they could get for E. Stall and C. Ward at the trade deadline.  Canes aren't winning anything soon, those guys deserve a chance to win again, and the Canes need all the picks they can get to rebuild properly and get some forward depth.  I like the moves Ron Francis has made thus far.  It will take awhile to get forward talent to Raleigh but as long as they keep moving in the right direction, I can continue to have patience with them.

the team really responded well to the new system, and was playing quality hockey after the break.  They looked more like a professional team then I've seen them in a long time.  I expect them to be very competitive, playing above their skill level.  Once (if) we get some better talent on this team, they should be a powerhouse.

Archived