• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Worst Game Preview By NFL.COM Of All Time (UPDATED)

Lilsmitty09

Ron Rivera era as of today is 3 losing records in 4 years. 

I mean you can't really bash the Fox era and pimp this one as something better yet.   Fox's first 4 years here were significantly better.  By a large margin. 

The overall level of talent during Fox's years was mediocre at best, depth in many cases was non-existent.  

Based on Gettleman's performance to date, had he and Fox teamed up a decade ago, there is a good chance our team's talent level and ability to compete would have improved dramatically.

I'm not sure Ron is an improvement over John, however Dave is definitely an improvement over Marty.

The overall level of talent during Fox's years was mediocre at best, depth in many cases was non-existent.  

Based on Gettleman's performance to date, had he and Fox teamed up a decade ago, there is a good chance our team's talent level and ability to compete would have improved dramatically.

I'm not sure Ron is an improvement over John, however Dave is definitely an improvement over Marty.

Fox/Hurney had lots of talent.  

Gotta remeber 4 years in and people didn't think Hurney was a trainwreck....4 years in some would have argued Fox/Hurney was one of the best combos in the NFL.  Normally takes many years for some of the shortcomings people have to show.  Gettlemen is still on the honeymoon phase of all this....

Gregg admitted he was extremely emotional and let his emotions get the best of him.  One does have to wonder, how often do we ignore the offense with the general direction of the league going towards more offense?  

Please explain in detail how Gettleman, being the GM of a team that exists under a salary cap and is limited to 53 players on the active roster and is only allowed 7 draft picks per year and who came in under an utter salary cap nightmare, has "ignored" the offense.

Which area of the team would you have had him ignore to acquire your precious middle-to-average wide receiver(s)?  The defensive line?  The offensive line?  The secondary?

Would you have had Gettleman NOT extend Newton's contract?  Or Olsen's?

Please do explain what opportunities Gettleman has missed to acquire all these awesome All-Pro offensive players some of you feel can be picked up off the shelf at the local WalMart.

Please explain in detail how Gettleman, being the GM of a team that exists under a salary cap and is limited to 53 players on the active roster and is only allowed 7 draft picks per year and who came in under an utter salary cap nightmare, has "ignored" the offense.

Which area of the team would you have had him ignore to acquire your precious middle-to-average wide receiver(s)?  The defensive line?  The offensive line?  The secondary?

Please do explain what opportunities Gettleman has missed to acquire all these awesome All-Pro offensive players some of you feel can be picked up off the shelf at the local WalMart.

We have currently at least 14 mill in cap room.  I don't care about adding offensive lineman.  That is something I'm okay with, he added Oher and Williams.  Which was perfectly fine with me.  Salary Cap "nightmare" that's an intriguing way of putting it when we have an abundance of cash sitting out there.  I would've preferred he actually try to sign a WR that wasn't a number 4 on another team, there were plenty available.  Or a TE that's better than ED fuging Dickson for Cam to throw to.  That nightmare is basically over, and that excuse needs to go away.  The defensive line?  So, signing Kyle Love is an upgrade?  That's fascinating.  Secondary?  Paying Kurt Coleman peanuts and Signing Tillman to a 3 million dollar deal is expensive now?  Boy oh boy.  And I wouldn't even be stating this if he actually paid Norman.  But he hasn't done that either.  So in essence, can we please stop with the Salary Cap excuses now?  Because that LITERALLY makes no fuging sense.  KB goes down and our WR's become absolute horse poo.  Jordy Nelson goes down, and GB is perfectly fine.  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  

Ignoring = delayed effort.  Year 4 was the first Cam weapon added, year 5 we just drafted a second.  We don't even know both of these will be long term weapons yet. 

Could something of been done before adding a rookie year 4 and rookie year 5?  Absolutely.  Our franchise front office opted to build their team and put emphasis elsewhere during those years.  Offensive minded people and QB centric people will not agree w/ Carolina's blueprint for Cam. 

For example, did we need to go Star/KK?  Go we have been more well rounded w/ those picks? I'm sure a lot of GM's wouldn't of doubled down there.  Defensive minded ones might of.....others would have handled it different. 

10 GMs would have done the 2013 draft different if they were here....as an example.  You pretty can apply that to every draft and FA period.  So big picture, no, Carolina didn't have there hands tied and didn't have to add Cam's first weapon in year 4 (raw rookie).  Build could of happened sooner.

Some would argue we should of built around Cam immediately....it would have helped him grow faster.  Then come back and fix the defensive holes once Cam was ready to win now w/ all his weapons in place. 

Ignoring = delayed effort.  Year 4 was the first Cam weapon added, year 5 we just drafted a second.  We don't even know both of these will be long term weapons yet. 

Could something of been done before adding a rookie year 4 and rookie year 5?  Absolutely.  Our franchise front office opted to build their team and put emphasis elsewhere during those years.  Offensive minded people and QB centric people will not agree w/ Carolina's blueprint for Cam. 

For example, did we need to go Star/KK?  Go we have been more well rounded w/ those picks? I'm sure a lot of GM's wouldn't of doubled down there.  Defensive minded ones might of.....others would have handled it different. 

10 GMs would have done the 2013 draft different if they were here....as an example.  You pretty can apply that to every draft and FA period.  So big picture, no, Carolina didn't have there hands tied and didn't have to add Cam's first weapon in year 4 (raw rookie).  Build could of happened sooner.

Some would argue we should of built around Cam immediately....it would have helped him grow faster.  Then come back and fix the defensive holes once Cam was ready to win now w/ all his weapons in place. 

Gettleman is in year 4?

We have currently at least 14 mill in cap room.  I don't care about adding offensive lineman.  That is something I'm okay with, he added Oher and Williams.  Which was perfectly fine with me.  Salary Cap "nightmare" that's an intriguing way of putting it when we have an abundance of cash sitting out there.  I would've preferred he actually try to sign a WR that wasn't a number 4 on another team, there were plenty available.  Or a TE that's better than ED fuging Dickson for Cam to throw to.  That nightmare is basically over, and that excuse needs to go away.  The defensive line?  So, signing Kyle Love is an upgrade?  That's fascinating.  Secondary?  Paying Kurt Coleman peanuts and Signing Tillman to a 3 million dollar deal is expensive now?  Boy oh boy.  And I wouldn't even be stating this if he actually paid Norman.  But he hasn't done that either.  So in essence, can we please stop with the Salary Cap excuses now?  Because that LITERALLY makes no fuging sense.  KB goes down and our WR's become absolute horse poo.  Jordy Nelson goes down, and GB is perfectly fine.  HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  

So GM nctarheel0619 would spend right up to the salary cap every year, eh?

You do know that that cap room can be rolled over to the next year, right?  And the reason we're able to sign Cam and likely sign Kuech to these long term extensions is just because of "savings" like this, right?

If it was up to GM nctarheel0619 though, saving money to sign franchise players is a priority that can wait behind signing two more #2/#3 quality mediocre WRs!  I bet you are a *killah* GM in Madden!

And if you don't think Gettleman inherited a job saddled with a salary cap nightmare, you weren't and aren't paying very close attention.

Not caring about the offensive line would be a colossal mistake.

An even bigger mistake is thinking there are just loads of star players waiting to sign for reasonable contracts.

You build a team on the best combination of players you can get. They're not all stars.  Some of them are backups and role players in there too.

Take a look at any team and you'll see plenty of guys you've never heard of. That's how it works.

So GM nctarheel0619 would spend right up to the salary cap every year, eh?

You do know that that cap room can be rolled over to the next year, right?  And the reason we're able to sign Cam and likely sign Kuech to these long term extensions is just because of "savings" like this, right?

If it was up to GM nctarheel0619 though, saving money to sign franchise players is a priority that can wait behind signing two more #2/#3 quality mediocre WRs!  I bet you are a *killah* GM in Madden!

And if you don't think Gettleman inherited a job saddled with a salary cap nightmare, you weren't and aren't paying very close attention.

It's not a nightmare right now is what I was stating.  An no, we would still have plenty of money left over after signing a #2 receiver.  At least 10 mill which will go over to next year instead of starting, whew, pains me to say this Corey Brown and Ted Ginn.  Eh, I just puked in my mouth a little.  

Not caring about the offensive line would be a colossal mistake.

An even bigger mistake is thinking there are just loads of star players waiting to sign for reasonable contracts.

You build a team on the best combination of players you can get. They're not all stars.  Some of them are backups and role players in there too.

Take a look at any team and you'll see plenty of guys you've never heard of. That's how it works.

I stated I'm okay with what he has done with the O-Line.  He has done an okay job in that category.  I'm not saying there are star players out there, but there are def solid players out there not asking to destroy ones cap.  Some of them are backups and role players, but if you genuinely care about your offense.  Or receivers in this situation, you DO NOT go into the season one injury away from a catastrophe.  We did, and now we have the worst set of receivers in the NFL for our good, NOT GREAT QB to throw to.  By the way, I don't mind Gettlemen.  I'm just on the side where I think he could've did a better job the past three years on the offensive side of the ball.         

Archived