• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Panthers make any moves over the bye week?

ThinkAboutIt

lol that article doesnt mention Voth at all. In fact, months later, Voth wrote an article mentioning Gettleman's interest in Nicks and how they werent able to get a deal done, in his very in depth and revealing article on how poor planning by Gettleman led to the team regressing last season.

http://blackandbluereview.com/5-parts-dave-gettlemans-2014-plan-havent-worked/

Dave Gettleman wanted Hakeem Nicks. He offered him a contract. When Nicks didnt want to come here, and Gettleman didnt feel he could afford to change his mind, they agreed he should go to Indy while keeping relations cordial.

that has been the story since the beginning and frankly im not surprised youve tried to see it as otherwise.

That'd be better evidence if it actually said what you claim.

It's pretty well established that Gettleman told Nicks Indy would be a better situation for him.  Also known that Nicks never actually visited the Panthers.  Rumors that an offer was made came from guys like Jason LaCanfora but it was never established.

Here's an actual quote from Voth, answering someone who asked what happened:

billvoth says:

Taryn, it’s hard to say what really happened with Nicks because no one truly knows. Some have speculated it’s because the Colts have better WRs, but perhaps Gettleman “agreed” Indy was the better fit because they were willing to give him more $ and Dave wasn’t willing to go that high because of concerns he has about Hakeem. Not saying that’s what happened, just not sure yet.

Every year, the same people spout the same bs. "If anyone out there is better, someone would have signed them already". Then we see a mid-season addition like Remmers come along and we magically get better.

I don't know if there is anyone out there that could produce more than Philly Brown, but to dismiss the idea as if it is moronic, especially in a condescending manner, is just flat short sighted.

We could definitely stand some help at WR, and hopefully Gettleman and our pro scouts are looking hard. If they have adopted the attitude that there is no point in looking, we're fuged.

Who said anything about finding a no.1 receiver? I'm tired of the straw man arguments that are always presented here like clockwork as it pertains to upgrading the team in general mid-season. It's not about finding a no. 1 receiver, it's about finding a receiver who can make more than one catch per game at this point (and, yes, I am being facetious with the one catch, but you get the point).

Every year, the same people spout the same bs. "If anyone out there is better, someone would have signed them already". Then we see a mid-season addition like Remmers come along and we magically get better.

I don't know if there is anyone out there that could produce more than Philly Brown, but to dismiss the idea as if it is moronic, especially in a condescending manner, is just flat short sighted.

We could definitely stand some help at WR, and hopefully Gettleman and our pro scouts are looking hard. If they have adopted the attitude that there is no point in looking, we're fuged.

Mike Remmers wasn't unemployed when we picked him up.  He was on the Rams practice squad, so someone had "signed him already".  Same is true of Ryan Delaire.

And to be clear, we didn't dump somebody in order to sign Remmers.  We had an open roster spot because Chase Blackburn was going on IR.  Likewise, Delaire came aboard because we were thin at defensive end.  When you have a need like that, practice squads - generally starting with your own - are a better place to shop than the scrap heap. 

Frankly, success for guys like Remmers and Ryan Delaire doesn't happen often.  If you look back at the Panthers transaction history, you'll see plenty of other players signed under similar circumstances, and a good number of them gone before the season even ended or back on the practice squad where they were before.

But yes, they're looking.  They're always looking.  They have weekly tryouts specifically to look at guys who might be useful, but those guys don't get signed all that often.  As mentioned, they'll look to the practice squads first.

And come on, do you honestly think if the team knew there was a guy out there better than Philly Brown, they'd refuse to sign him "just because"?  If they found someone they believed could make the team better, they'd make the move.  Any team would.

I don't buy that such a guy is out there right now.  And given the Panthers lack of moves at WR, it would seem neither do they.

That can change at any point (heck, they could potentially decide Norwood's better once he's had more reps) but there's no indication right now that it will anytime soon.

Mike Remmers wasn't unemployed when we picked him up.  He was on the Rams practice squad, so someone had "signed him already".  Same is true of Ryan Delaire.

And to be clear, we didn't dump somebody in order to sign Remmers.  We had an open roster spot because Chase Blackburn was going on IR.  Likewise, Delaire came aboard because we were thin at defensive end.  When you have a need like that, practice squads - generally starting with your own - are a better place to shop than the scrap heap. 

Frankly, success for guys like Remmers and Ryan Delaire doesn't happen often.  If you look back at the Panthers transaction history, you'll see plenty of other players signed under similar circumstances, and a good number of them gone before the season even ended or back on the practice squad where they were before.

But yes, they're looking.  They're always looking.  They have weekly tryouts specifically to look at guys who might be useful, but those guys don't get signed all that often.  As mentioned, they'll look to the practice squads first.

And come on, do you honestly think if the team knew there was a guy out there better than Philly Brown, they'd refuse to sign him "just because"?  If they found someone they believed could make the team better, they'd make the move.  Any team would.

I don't buy that such a guy is out there right now.  And given the Panthers lack of moves at WR, it would seem neither do they.

That can change at any point (heck, they could potentially decide Norwood's better once he's had more reps) but there's no indication right now that it will anytime soon.

Of course it's not always easy to find contributors mid-season. Anyone with a brain understands that reality. But to automatically dismiss the idea that we might be able to find some help outside our roster and PS is equally short sighted. 

I'm sure our scouts don't have that attitude, so why is it so ridiculous that some posters feel the same?

I mean it's not like guys like Philly Brown are setting the world on fire. The chances there is someone on someone else's roster or on the street is pretty damn good.

There aren't likely any "rabbits" out on the scrap heap that are any better than what we already have.

The currently unemployed pretty much all fall under one of two categories: "used to be good but not anymore" or "haven't proven worthy of a roster spot".

Guy like that are okay to sign if you need to fill a spot adue to injury, but that's generally about it.

Thanks for generalizing what I just stated? Lmao 

Of course it's not always easy to find contributors mid-season. Anyone with a brain understands that reality. But to automatically dismiss the idea that we might be able to find some help outside our roster and PS is equally short sighted. 

I'm sure our scouts don't have that attitude, so why is it so ridiculous that some posters feel the same?

I mean it's not like guys like Philly Brown are setting the world on fire. The chances there is someone on someone else's roster or on the street is pretty damn good.

You think professional scouts and front office people have the attitude of "I just know somebody better than Philly Brown is out there even though I don't know who they are"?

I'm skeptical.

Every team in the league has fourth / fifth receivers and practice squadders. They've chosen to keep those guys over the all unemployed team because they believe they are better, and will continue to do so unless something changes their minds.

Could they be wrong?  Yeah, but I'll take those judgments over fan judgments every time with no reservations.

Debunked??

Yeah they made an offer when I talked to Dave Gettleman," Nicks said. "But you know it just didn't pan out the right way. I feel like this is the best fit for me. 

"After talking to Gettleman, I think he agreed that this was the best situation for me, too, even though they made the offer. Like I said, I feel like I made the best decision and I'm ready to make the best of it."

So we are calling Nicks a liar? 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334417/article/hakeem-nicks-panthers-gm-agreed-colts-were-best-fit

Archived