• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FanDuel/DraftKings Scandal?

GolfRasta

I heard about this on NFL radio this morning, and just found the article.  http://www.businessinsider.com/fantasy-football-scandal-2015-10?ref=yfp

Last week, a DraftKings employee admitted to inadvertently releasing data before the start of the third week of N.F.L. games, a move akin to insider trading in the stock market. The employee — a midlevel content manager — won $350,000 at rival site FanDuel that same week.

The incident has raised questions about who at daily fantasy companies has access to valuable data, how it is protected and whether the industry can — or wants — to police itself.

I have a few friends that were already borderline "gambling addicts"...and they've discovered the DFS craze this year.  They haven't lost a ton of money, just like $50...But I just keep telling them to be careful and it just seems too good to be true.  All these commercials that they're throwing in our faces just seem like the "winners" are paid actors...How would they be recording people as they win a big tournament? 

I read an article last week about the history of DFS... As it turns out  Fan Duel and Draft Kings are actually owned by the same corporation...They just like to make it seem like they're in direct competition, when in reality it's a monopoly.  

I didn't find this in the article, but on the radio they were talking about how the 2 companies encouraged their employees to play on the competition's site, and not their own.

Maybe I'm wearing a tin-foil hat right now...But it just seems like it would be too easy for these companies to just edit rosters so they win all the top payouts.  I'm not saying they don't pay anything out, but if they can secure the top 10 or so payouts...That's a huge padding on their bottom line.

I just have my doubts about the legitimacy of this whole DFS thing.  

They take a percentage off the top but I'm not sure how they could cheat 

They know the % owned of every player, which is similar between the two sites.  It can help them craft winning lineups, especially if they play a bunch of combinations.

I know they take a percentage off the top, but why not have a few horses in the race also?  

I need to find that other article about the history of DFS.  They talk about how a few years ago people started questioning FanDuel because there was some "guy" that would consistently be in the top 5 in NBA fantasy.  There were people who took screen shots of this guys lineup before any games started, and also after he won a top prize.  The company released a statement and really just fed some BS to the public.  Let me find that article, because that's the one that really got me thinking about it.

Guest Mr. Rose

Unfortunately these sites are addicting and that's what they bank on. If its legit great. But, playing on these sites and ones in the past who just packed up and disappeared when someone caught someone cheating with screen shots is a little fishy. I have personally seen some fishy things happen. Whether it was on my end or not I never received any responses to the incidents and that makes it more suspicious. And theses sites who disappeared have employees who now work for these other sites. They need to be investigated and whoever does needs to validate the winners of all the contests with big payouts. They need to identify these people as just regular joes who have no ties to the site. That should be easy I would think? They don't need to personally identify them just let us know that these contests are legit and the winners are legit. The state attorney generals office should be able to that. It's a good concept if its honest.

Like I said someone needs to confirm these winners of these big cash contests are legit and not Bot players created by the company or friends or employees.

They said on Outside the Lines that employees were either no longer allowed to play or were temporarily banned. Most of the big winners weren't on anymore.

FanDuel said DraftKing employees have won 6 million dollars.  I doubt Draft Kings employees that many people which makes that amount won BIG. 

Also, let's say those people suddenly aren't allowed to play.  Heck, if that was me and I had the inside info which had proven to help me win....I'd just get a friend of mine to play it for a cut.  

http://www.wsj.com/articles/storm-of-criticism-engulfs-draftkings-fanduel-1444107475

FanDuel and DraftKings together control some 95% of the North American daily fantasy market and have respective valuations of $1.3 billion and $1.2 billion. Neither has made a profit, though, due to heavy ad spending to draw in customers. For instance, during just one week last month, DraftKings had 5,800 television commercial airings for about $20 million, according to ad tracker iSpot.tv.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/10/05/news/companies/fantasy-sports-draftkings-fanduel/

Between them, the two companies have sponsorship deals with 28 of the 32 NFL teams, worth an estimated $6 million to $7 million to the teams, according to research firm IEG.

Interesting...So 28 out of 32 teams have endorsed them and make money from these companies, but the companies themselves haven't made a profit?

Also someone commented...Not sure how credible he is...

Steve Perry

17 hours ago

What this article fails to mention is the #1 way they are cheating. The employees have access to changing entry lineups after the game has begun. They basically replace their lineups with the best possible team prior to the game ending to guarantee 1st place and sometimes even 2nd and 3rd place if it's a huge payout. Not only do they win using ghost accounts but they use that access to hook up their friends and get additional kickbacks from the winnings. This has been happening for a very long time now.

Archived