• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Well Isn't That Convenient...

Lilsmitty09

1 minute ago, Moorgan said:

No. It's illegal. It's similar to insider trading. Because there would be people that would know the outcome, the potential for using that information to bet is illegal. If the NFL rigged games for any reason it would be illegal.

Im not a lawyer nor am I going to look it all up, but the FBI have gone after people in the past involved with the manipulation of sports games. There was at least one 30 for 30 about it with Boston College players.

No one in the NFL is betting.  They aren't rigging the game for that purpose.  They are rigging it for higher ratings and ad revenue.  I doubt Goodell is running to vegas before each week and throwing down bets lol.   And no, the NFL could NOT get in trouble for rigging games.  You can't sue the WWE for the same reason.  Look it up and research.  They are "entertainment" companies, not actual sporting organizations.   And the way "officiating" is, being a "per ref basis" there would be almost no way of proving anything.  

9 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

No one in the NFL is betting.  They aren't rigging the game for that purpose.  They are rigging it for higher ratings and ad revenue.  I doubt Goodell is running to vegas before each week and throwing down bets lol.   And no, the NFL could NOT get in trouble for rigging games.  You can't sue the WWE for the same reason.  Look it up and research.  They are "entertainment" companies, not actual sporting organizations.   And the way "officiating" is, being a "per ref basis" there would be almost no way of proving anything.  

You could be right. I'll look it up later. But it doesn't seem right to me. The FBI has surely gone after people involved in the manipulation of sports though. So it's not all good. My two cents anyways. Also, I don't believe in conspiracy theories as a general matter. 

Although, it does seem like Cortney Love was involved in Kurt Cobain's death. #SoakedInBleach :)

Just now, Moorgan said:

You could be right. I'll look it up later. But it doesn't seem right to me. The FBI has surely gone after people involved in the manipulation of sports though. So it's not all good. My two cents anyways. Also, I don't believe in conspiracy theories as a general matter. 

Although, it does seem like Cortney Love was involved in Kurt Cobain's death. #SoakedInBleach :)

Ok so basically, if they were rigging for betting purposes, this would obviously be illegal.  However, rigging for suspense reasons (and in essence for ratings/advertising) is perfectly legal.   Here an article talking about this fact as well:

When its legal to rig a sports game and why it shouldn't be

" There is no federal law explicitly preventing the clandestine manipulation of sporting events to enhance suspense.  "

Also look at that case where a Jets fan sued Bill Bellicheck after spygate stating he was cheating and he expected a fair game.  The judge ruled that the only expectation from his ticket was that a football game would happen and he would be able to watch.

2 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

Ok so basically, if they were rigging for betting purposes, this would obviously be illegal.  However, rigging for suspense reasons (and in essence for ratings/advertising) is perfectly legal.   Here an article talking about this fact as well:

When its legal to rig a sports game and why it shouldn't be

" There is no federal law explicitly preventing the clandestine manipulation of sporting events to enhance suspense.  "

Also look at that case where a Jets fan sued Bill Bellicheck after spygate stating he was cheating and he expected a fair game.  The judge ruled that the only expectation from his ticket was that a football game would happen and he would be able to watch.

There's nothing in that article that absolves Courtney Love. :)

2 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

It wasn't "rigged" but it sure as hell was manipulated. AND that pisses me off.

Right, rigged isn't really the best term for what, in my opinion, the NFL has been pushing for over a decade.  Manipulate is a good word to use actually.   It's definitely not on the up-and-up.  

Archived