• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Been a Slow Free Agency For Us...Or Has It?

SetfreexX

20 minutes ago, The Lone Panther said:

I really don't see us signing much of anyone this off-season.  Probably pick up a vet SS, someone like Will Allen for a one year deal, and that will probably be it.  Probably resign Amini and Love, then call it a day.  Focus on a few areas like SS, OT, & DE depth through the draft.  For the most part, we're in a good shape. 

Save dat money.  

When you say "Focus on"? How do you mean? Are you trying to suggest that Gman stray from his beloved BPA strategy? Cuz that'd be borderline blasphemous son.

Gman don't do no damm target shooting. When he hunts, he hunts teh big game. Not sure how that compares to the draft. I just know it's true.

4 minutes ago, O-Ther said:

I remember last off-season. We had more cap space than Gettleman's first 2 years, and everyone on here wanted to spend like a drunken sailor. The Huddle howled in anger at signing Oher, shrugged their shoulders at the re-signing of Ginn, and were bewildered at the Coleman signing, since he had sucked in Philly. "We want Bulaga, not Oher!" "Why not Andre Johnson or Percy Harvin or Torrie Smith or Randall Cobb?! Ginn sucked in Arizona. He's Teddy frickin' Ginn, the 1st round bust"

Then we used our cap space to extend Olsen, TD, Derek Anderson, Luke, and Cam.

Those are the reasons I ignore all the pissing and whining about free agency on the Huddle

I realize you are trying to make a point. So taking some literary license is too be expected. You are correct in saying that Gman had more money in his 3rd year. But that 3rd year is this year. Not last year. This is only Gman's 3rd year. I know. He has done so well, it seems like he has been here longer.

You also failed to mention that when the off-season started we were cap strapped. Every core player he resigned actually saved money. That is the only reason we had what little we had to sign Oher, Ginn Jr., and Coleman.

Last year, most sensible Huddlerz knew we didn't have any money. Or at least not enough to go shopping anywhere other than Target. It is the usual suspects that want to shop at Tiffany's. The "Vocal Minority".

Fans gotta fan. Nothing ya can do bout it.

14 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Gettleman

I realize you are trying to make a point. So taking some literary license is too be expected. You are correct in saying that Gman had more money in his 3rd year. But that 3rd year is this year. Not last year. This is only Gman's 3rd year. I know. He has done so well, it seems like he has been here longer.

You also failed to mention that when the off-season started we were cap strapped. Every core player he resigned actually saved money. That is the only reason we had what little we had to sign Oher, Ginn Jr., and Coleman.

Last year, most sensible Huddlerz knew we didn't have any money. Or at least not enough to go shopping anywhere other than Target. It is the usual suspects that want to shop at Tiffany's. The "Vocal Minority".

Fans gotta fan. Nothing ya can do bout it.

Gettleman got hired in January of 2013. That's 3 calendar years, and now starting his 4th football year with us. As for the extensions of Olsen and TD, they did give us more room, which most of the Huddle wanted to burn on free agency. Instead, we extended Cam and Luke after the draft.

Just because fans gonna fan doesn't mean it's ok to be annoying.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

When you say "Focus on"? How do you mean? Are you trying to suggest that Gman stray from his beloved BPA strategy? Cuz that'd be borderline blasphemous son.

Gman don't do no damm target shooting. When he hunts, he hunts teh big game. Not sure how that compares to the draft. I just know it's true.

He'll still do BPA, just BPA for those positions.  

55 minutes ago, O-Ther said:

Gettleman got hired in January of 2013. That's 3 calendar years, and now starting his 4th football year with us. As for the extensions of Olsen and TD, they did give us more room, which most of the Huddle wanted to burn on free agency. Instead, we extended Cam and Luke after the draft.

Just because fans gonna fan doesn't mean it's ok to be annoying.

I think you may be in trouble then. Annoying, and the interwebz are fused at the hip. The interwebz was a boon to the annoying. They ain't going away any time soon. 

8 minutes ago, The Lone Panther said:

He'll still do BPA, just BPA for those positions.  

LOL! That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. That's...just...well...c'mon man.

But hey, everyone is always going on and on about thinking outside the box. This...fits that box? Or doesn't fit the box? Ah screw it. I don't care anymore.

28 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I think you may be in trouble then. Annoying, and the interwebz are fused at the hip. The interwebz was a boon to the annoying. They ain't going away any time soon. 

I'll be ok. Thanks for your concern, pal

On 3/19/2016 at 3:29 AM, CPantherKing said:

History tells us Super Bowl winners make splash moves. Look at the key players/starters on their rosters.

From the past 7 Super Bowl winners: Aqib Talib, Darrelle Revis, Michael Bennett, Anquan Boldin, Antrel Rolle, Charles Woodson and Jonathan Vilma.

I would be hard pressed to find a Super Bowl winner who did not plug in a couple free agents and a trade or two to be a key factor in winning the Super Bowl.

Free agency factors into the equation of winning a Super Bowl. Stocking a team using free agency will kill a team (must use the draft for that), but it is necessary to plug in a couple key free agents to put a team over the top to win the Super Bowl.

Pretty much this, but I wouldn't go as far back as you did.

The entire Broncos roster was made up free agents, the patriots signed the 2 most coveted CB in that years free agency in Revis and Browner you can also throw Amendola in there who many teams were after. The Seahawks singed or traded for Bennett, Avril and Harvin all 3 known names all 3 coming off big seasons. And The Ravens got Boldin you can also throw in Pollard and Jacoby Jones both who were good starters in their previous teams, and McKinney who was in the twilight of his career.

We haven't come close to signing or trading for a known name since the Olsen trade, it seems we just scrape the bottom of the barrel for castoffs nobody else wants, every season for the last decade. 

Just now, O-Ther said:

You started the conversation, not me. Think about that.

I started a conversation. That's the high point of this exchange imo. I guess this is a good example of why my mother told me to never speak to strangers.

It was not my intention to annoy you. I was merely trying to converse in a humorous manner. In the future, I will truly endeavor to avoid annoying you at all cost.

Now. Having said that. I would like to add. Yup, it is Gman's 4th year. Time flies when you're having fun. There are always going to be fans that have that "OOH I love that guy" mentality. Especially during the FA period. It's teh off-season. What else is there? If you find THAT annoying? Football cannot get here fast enough for you.

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

We haven't come close to signing or trading for a known name since the Olsen trade, it seems we just scrape the bottom of the barrel for castoffs nobody else wants, every season for the last decade. 

And yet...3 straight Playoff trips. Culminating in last years SuperB owl. Seems to me. Now granted, I'm just a fan and all that. But...Things are going rather swimmingly here in Panther Land.

4 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

And yet...3 straight Playoff trips. Culminating in last years SuperB owl. Seems to me. Now granted, I'm just a fan and all that. But...Things are going rather swimmingly here in Panther Land.

0 super bowls, and If you wanted to get technical 2013 was Hurney's team, 2014 was a joke 7 win team with the luck of falling into the worst division in all of football, and 2015 Cam becoming best player in the NFL.

We could of won the SB last month and I still wouldn't have change my stance on being more active in free agency. Its the climate of the NFL nowadays it hard to win it all just drafting players, look at the packers last season they lost Nelson didn't address  the problem and let Rodgers carry the load, mostly struggling through the season.

I'm ok with skipping the 1st wave of free agency, getting guys in the 2nd wave at much more reasonable prices. I don't like doing nothing when we're sitting on a pretty sizable amount of cap space.

I figured we would have signed 4-5 quality 2nd tier guys by now, not one. Pretty disappointing to enter free agency with a minimum of free agents, big chunk of cap space yet leave with a roster that's actually worse. We haven't even replaced the few free agents we lost, much less improved other areas.

On 3/18/2016 at 3:55 PM, Icebox said:

I think we'll be active in poaching some post-June 1 cuts. That's where we can find some value.

^^^ this is the crap Hurney used to count on and we always had multiple holes filled with random no-name scrubs. I sure hope the plan isn't to wait till cuts to add players. A few days ago people were saying the Panthers were suppose to be active this weekend in going after free agents but that didn't happen. But hey, any day now right?

Archived