• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BR Ranks Top 10 Defenses of 2016

Saca312

Panthers come in at number 6 according to Bleacher Report.

But don't worry, once you see who made number 1, you'll realize this article is quite meaningless.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2641779-ranking-the-nfls-top-10-defenses-heading-into-2016-season/page/1

6. Carolina Panthers

The defending NFC champions are quite stocked on the defensive side of the ball.

Their defensive line still includes end Charles Johnson and tackles Star Lotulelei and Kawann Short. Keep an eye on Super Bowl 50 standout Kony Ealy, who supplants retired defensive end Jared Allen.

The team is stocked at linebacker with Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Free safety Kurt Coleman tied for second in the league with seven interceptions.

But are the Panthers truly comfortable at cornerback? The loss of All-Pro Josh Norman (now with the Washington Redskins) can’t be underestimated, no matter how potent the Panthers’ pass rush is. You don’t simply replace a performer who totaled 56 tackles, 18 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, four interceptions and two fumble recoveries a season ago.

General manager Dave Gettleman used three of the team’s five draft picks in April on help at the position. Cornerback Bene Benwikere broke his leg in December but is expected to be back for training camp. Rookies James Bradberry, Daryl Worley and Zack Sanchez will make an immediate impact.

Is this a better defense than a year ago? 

The Panthers could improve on those 44 sacks, but the secondary could take its lumps on occasion. And minus Norman, will the team approach 39 takeaways again in 2016?

There are some concerns, but every team should have such problems.

1. Seattle Seahawks

When you are the first team in close to 60 years to allow the fewest points in the NFL in four consecutive seasons, you’ve earned the benefit of the doubt. You have to go back to the Cleveland Browns and their five-year run from 1953-57 to see a team in this league accomplish such a feat.

Over the last four seasons, the Seattle Seahawks have also ranked fourth, first, first and second, respectively, in fewest yards allowed per game.

They have managed to do this with changes at defensive coordinator, although head coach Pete Carroll is the constant.

Speaking of reliability, it’s been the same basic cast for the last few years—from defensive ends Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril to linebackers Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright. The “Legion of Boom” is once again intact, as Brandon Browner has been reunited with Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.

Second-year defensive end Frank Clark bears watching, as does rookie defensive tackle Jarran Reed. Following a two-year stint in Jacksonville, what is 34-year-old Chris Clemons' role with the club?

All told, this is a unit with a proven track record that looks as good as it ever has. It’s hard to argue against its spot on this list given the talent and the design.

The most underrated stat is zero 3 and outs in the 2nd half when we literally squeezed the butt cheeks out of our offense.  ZERO 3 and outs.

I didn't even know that. That's fuggin crazy! Seahawks literally had no answer for our offense.

Just now, Castavar said:

I didn't even know that. That's fuggin crazy! Seahawks literally had no answer for our offense.

I'd be remiss too if I didn't mention the 4 80 yard TD drives in the first game, a more impressive stats sheet (minus the three turnovers) the the playoff loss January 2015, etc.

Decent article. 

6 is not a bad place to be. I think with the competition at corner, coupled with our coaching staff and veteran leadership, the rookie corners should be able to perform at a high level. 

I think the Jno loss will be better for the franchise in the long run but I can understand how some can view this as a significant loss. It is, until proven otherwise. 

I don't see why you think the article would be meaningless just because Seattle is #1.  They've had the #1 PPG defense for four years straight now and usually have the #1 YPG defense to go along with it too.  Whether you like them or not, Seattle has an elite defense that really hasn't lost anyone noteworthy.

49 minutes ago, RelaxImaPro said:

I don't see why you think the article would be meaningless just because Seattle is #1.  They've had the #1 PPG defense for four years straight now and usually have the #1 YPG defense to go along with it too.  Whether you like them or not, Seattle has an elite defense that really hasn't lost anyone noteworthy.

Bruce Irvin is very noteworthy.  He's no HOFer, but was a very unique X-factor for them given Cam's uniqueness.  Replace him with a JAG in the 3 games we lost from 2012-14 with him and we win AT LEAST one of those with that simple change alone.

They're top 5, I just don't feel they're gonna be number 1 this year. Denver has a better shot at that imo. Irvin is a nuisance, and if he wasn't around, Carolina would've won a lot more games against Seattle.

3 hours ago, Saca312 said:

They're top 5, I just don't feel they're gonna be number 1 this year. Denver has a better shot at that imo. Irvin is a nuisance, and if he wasn't around, Carolina would've won a lot more games against Seattle.

To your point http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/seahawks-bruce-irvin-hopes-to-replicate-the-joy-of-sacks-he-has-had-against-carolinas-cam-newton/

Archived