• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So I'm officially directing and producing a feature-length Vietnam War film

PhillyB

All the random Vietnam War posts have probably already hinted at it, but after months of preparation, I'm officially directing and producing a Vietnam War movie called Point Man.

Point Man Film Poster.jpg

It's been a freaking crazy process. I started writing the script the day after I got fired from my old bartending job, completed it in a couple weeks, and quickly realized it was the best thing I'd ever written. My buddy Dan (a few of you guys have met him) vetted it and decided to sign on as my casting director (he's got extensive theater experience.) I laid the logistical foundation and then I put up a casting call, hoping to get a handful of interested participants... instead I was inundated with over 3,000 actors pitching reels and headshots trying to get into this thing.

Long story short, we finished live auditions in Sunday and we're moving into the funding phase. If anyone here is interested following a full-length feature film production centered on a search and destroy mission in the Mekong Delta circa 1968, check out the official Facebook page and our support platform! We've got an IMDB listing too. I'll need a ton of combat extras, so if you're good at dying on camera, volunteer Huddlers get preference for background roles :)

First shoot is September 27, just south of Atlanta. We're renting a Huey helicopter and flying it into a simulated hot LZ. This movie is going to kick so much ass.

664e36c9e9fa4c89fb387dc3cbc964a0_original.png

53 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

Sounds like quite the experience! Congrats. Are you getting a bank loan for the sets, props, costumes, vehicles, explosions, etc? Sounds like a huge undertaking. Look forward to seeing the result.

I've been putting in 16-hour days for months on this - it's absolutely an enormous undertaking. A large portion of it's going to end up being self-funded; I've bought all the uniforms and equipment so far, just by surfing deals on ebay and in surplus shops since March.

The rest of it's going to be done on ingenuity and the backing of investors and contributors to the project. The biggest coup so far is that Gary Busey read the script and offered to take the role of a deranged senior officer for a reduced quote because he liked it so much - at the very least it's an endorsement of the script and at best it makes the film that much more attractive to distributors, which is how films end up making money.

We'll see what happens.

I'm doing a location scout this weekend in Florida, but I have a verbal go-ahead to shoot about half my principle photography at Lee Ranch just south of Orlando. We'll build sets on the property and knock out all the jungle/village scenes in November.

1e5e6a516477e77146909fb27d875229_original.jpg

December will involve be a lot of studio work, which will take place in north and south carolina. Right now I'm slated to use the Roanoke Cement Company's abandoned lot as a backdrop to build a reproduction of Long Binh barracks.

13781806_526773507533965_1389185955964283123_n.jpg

These are relatively cheap alternatives to massive Hollywood set productions. It's going to take a Herculean effort to get this done, but it's as sure a bet as anything ever has been in film. I already have distributors knocking down my door trying to get me to sign a contract preemptively.

54 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

. The biggest coup so far is that Gary Busey read the script and offered to take the role of a deranged senior officer for a reduced quote because he liked it so much - at the very least it's an endorsement of the script and at best it makes the film that much more attractive to distributors, which is how films end up making money.

We'll see what happens.

This is the most interesting part to me. Busey is bat poo crazy even more so since he smashed his skull. The book on making this movie might be as interesting as the movie itself.

Good Luck.

70fc9ca08d46171128fb34a88a540ec5.jpg

Just now, Kevin Greene said:

This is the most interesting part to me. Busey is bat poo crazy even more so since he smashed his skull. The book on making this movie might be as interesting as the movie itself.

Good Luck.

to be completely honest i'm not sure if i'll take him on even if we meet the financing requirements to fulfill his quote. he won't audition (granted most A-listers don't) and i'm not sold on his persona for the part. i may pursue other actors his caliber in the meantime (i have my eye on stephen lang, and michael c. hall actually, although he might be too monotonic.)

but at the end of the day it's a ringing endorsement of the script. i didn't think i'd hear back, but his agent said he read through the entire thing and said he wanted to take the part. 99% of independent films can't even get an agent to respond to an email, let alone get an A-lister to read script sides.

I'm proud to say I knew you (on the Huddle) before you were famous.

Good luck in this, man. I hope it's a hit!

Can I ask who you've tabbed to do the musical score? I get hyped about that as much as I do some films.

I'm hoping for nothing but the best for you and all of this!

Archived