• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We couldn't afford Jonathan Stewart

frash.exe

Before I begin let me preface this by saying this is in no way saying Stewart sucks and if that's the way you interpret this then I have no faith in you to be able to conceptualize better than a rhesus monkey.

The close of the 2007 season saw yet another disappointing campaign for a playoff run, the first time Fox failed twice in a row to reach that level. So the Panthers' brain trust did what any normal people would do under those circumstances. Three middle-aged or older men went in a log cabin and had a sleepover.

And at some point within those 4 walls, the running back position was discussed. The Panthers wanted to get back to the running game, and they wanted to be more like the Steelers, which, isn't unreasonable to think. But the seed was planted to strengthen a weak offense.

So in the next few months, they made all the right moves. They dropped Wahle, Hartwig and Foster. Foster finally proved to the coaching staff he was the disappointment people had been saying he was, Hartwig was injury prone and ineffective at center, and Wahle was aging and didn't fit into our model. They signed Keydrick Vincent, a nice, relatively unknown free agent who had played on the 15-1 Steelers team a few years before. They signed Muhsin Muhammad, who was not only known for his receiving capabilities, but also for his ability to run-block. They extended Travelle Wharton and moved him inside at Guard, a position he could thrive better than at LT. They promoted Kalil to start. And they tagged Gross and moved him over at the vacant LT position.

Then they fuged everything up.

The draft came, and the Panthers no.13 pick came up. It was obvious what the team needed the most. So what position did they pick?

Offensive Tackle? No, you silly goose, that would be the sensible choice and Fox and Hurney were just not in the sensible mood.

Safety? Incorrect, you venereal disease. The value wasn't there at the pick and since when do Fox and Hurney care about safeties that can actually cover a fuging zone?

Running Back? Yep. The Panthers put down a first round pick for a running back to be a complement, basically.

If the Panthers really needed a running back, Stewart would've been a good choice, but the situation didn't require it. They should've picked a tackle at 13 and waited until the second round to pick Forte, who was the back I wanted in the first place, and they would've still had a first rounder this last draft. Even if Forte wasn't there, I mean running the football is your strength. Pick a fuging running back in the middle rounds and coach him up. The Giants have no first round running backs and their run game is one of the strongest in the league.

Now there were two possible intentions Fox and Hurney had for selecting a running back in the top 15. It was either:

A) They basically thought DeAngelo was another waste of a pick and actually thought they needed another back.

or

B) They thought it was reasonable to spend a top 15 pick on a back that will get less than 40% of the carries in the regular season.

A is a misconception, and B is just reckless spending.

Now, about an hour later, pick 19 arrives, and the Eagles are on the clock, but wait. Hold on, now the Panthers have to trade up and draft a player at a position they should've drafted in the first place, and select Jeff Otah. Such a trade was meant with much fanfare. People, even me to an extent, were bought off by the short term benefits, instead of the potential long term hardship.

What did the Panthers sacrifice? Well, the move cost them a 2nd rounder, a 4th rounder, and the next year's first.

So, in other words, they basically bent over, pulled their pants down, opened their assholes, and said "Anyone from Philadelphia, come on in! Rubbers are optional!"

Now, there were other problems the team had besides the running game. The interior defensive line basically had no depth behind the starters, and the two frontmen consisted of a guy who was strictly a run-stopper with no pass-rushing capabilities whatsoever, and a guy who had never proved himself an every down defensive tackle. When we got hurt in that area late last season we were absolutely gashed by the Giants much in the same way we stomped Tampa. And against the Cardinals there was no pass rush, allowing for Kurt Warner to pick apart the secondary with ease, although lack of a bona fide scheme had more to do with it. Now, starting the season with injuries at a position that had no depth in the first place, it seems as if the problems in the interior have multiplied.

Fast forward a year later, and many problems plague the franchise. Our QB just turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game, one of our defensive tackles had offseason shoulder surgery, we tagged a disgruntled defensive end so all the money we had available was gone and we can't trade him because he won't sign the tender, and we don't pick until the late 2nd in the draft. None of our problems could be solved, and I don't think they are all justified by picking a back that Fox basically saw film on and popped his first boner since the Clinton administration for.

So, given the question marks at DE, what does the brain(less) trust do? They trade up again, select Everette Brown, and give up another future first round pick in the process! And I think their justification for it would be some bullshit along the lines of, "well, we got a first round pick in the second round blah blah blah".

The problem isn't that Stewart is not good, he is an above average running back with pure power behind him. However, we could've made a more sensible move that could've put us in a better position to help solve at least one of the problems we faced. We financed a Lexus when we only had the budget and the need for a Toyota, and now we're in debt.

I think that we mortgaged the future WAY more with the Brown pick this year than with the Stewart, Otah trade-up last year... what we did last year paid off... last year... when we had an easier schedule and virtually zero injuries...

This year we are paying for that trade more because of the Peppers situation than anything else... they were probably figuring on re-signing Peppers last year when they made that move and then it didn't happen, they had to franchise Peppers and it caused them to lose the depth that we needed and now the injury bug is hitting us hard and it's hurting.

Next year, who knows, but we could be REALLY hurting... more issues with Pep... no first round pick AGAIN, plus we lost some lower round picks with the deals we've made otherwise... could be trouble.

I don't agree with all your points, but it's a good post.

I agree with the last poster that the Panthers paid way too much for Brown. He was sitting where he was sitting for a reason. Top quality DEs don't drop to the 2nd round typically. The guy is just too damned small. An OLB maybe, but, a DE in the NFL, oh hell no. He looks like an ant running into elephants going against the RTs.

The had tried for several years to replace Jenkins and failed through the draft but, reality, you don't replace that kind of DT easily. They also cut a few people they probably should have kept.

What will get Fox and Hurney out of town will be this years decisions on Peppers and Delhomme and probably trading away that pick next year for a 2nd round DE.

Because of the Peppers decision, they have no depth anywhere on the OL, the DL, or WR positions.

They also opted to stand pat vs. looking at the debacle of the playoff loss.

Good/Great teams do not stand pat, they retool. The main competition in our division sure did.

Also have to wonder why no quality DC wanted to come here, why it took so long to hire one. I dobut a lot of clubs were going to run out to get Meeks; I doubt he would be regarded as many teams' first choice for DC. He was simply the best of what was available to do as Fox wanted.

Now, hindsight is 20-20 and odds are, that JR approved all of those moves too.

All I know is, the product on the field is not a playoff caliber team and Fox has never put back to back winning seasons together given the strength of schedule he faces when he does win the previous year.

I suspect all of the Panthers flaws will be pretty evident by the time this season ends.

I believe a change will come. Who knows if its Cowher or not.

that is hindsight though....

entering last year DeAngelo hadn't proven that he was a legit RB that could fit the "Stephen Davis" mold that they obviously wanted to get back to. That piece is what everything else is built around.....so they went out and got that key piece in Stewart. He fit the bill 100%. DeAngelo then exploded and showed he can do it ALL and all the bs about him taking advantage of tired teams as more of a 3rd down back was all bs. Based on the talk and direction they wanted to get back to.....that ideal RB was the key.

Stewart show early last year he was an immediate impact play. Chicago for example.

I agree with the other posters...the Brown move showed a sign is desperation and was a much worse move. To make that kind of move you need to be sure they will be an impact player.......maybe it is just two games and he will.....but it doesn't look that way and he simply looks to small to be in for most downs except for 3rd and obvious passing downs.

Joe Flacco would look good in a Panthers jersey right now.

Its funny how the fans talk about drafting a good QB, and the analysts say every year we NEED to draft a good QB, yet the front office ALWAYS disregards popular opinion. I am still pissed about the fact that we had a chance to get Joe Flacco and didn't do it. We even moved up high enough to get him when we moved up to get Otah...We could have put together a franchise OL AND a franchise QB in one offseason (especially since the incumbent QB was injured..the precedent was there to make a move).

Before the Otah pick I really thought they would go DL to replace Rucker.

Otah has worked out. Stewart to a degree has as well.

But I think Bull is right about not being able to stockpile for depth, which is what the Patriots are great at.

If Fox/Hurney felt comfortable about THEIR long term future. They would have made a stronger move with Pep ie a trade for at worse a 2nd and a 3rd, at best a 1st and something else

But they took the safe route.

Classic, and down the road it will prove to be, classy on their part.

No scorched earth policy going on here.

Archived