• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible MLS Team In Carolina

OldNorthPowell

Here's the funny thing about MLS Expansion - nobody talks about what happens after the expansion window closes. Will FC Cincinnati still pull 24K crowds after being passed over? Doubtful. And what happens to the rest of the league? Charlotte Independence only exist as part of a plan to reach MLS. How many USL teams are in the same boat? It'll be interesting to watch this play out.

There are 10 cities all willing to spend millions to get bids.  MLS is going to continue expanding, they want to make as much money as possible.  If all these cities are willing to pay the money it will result in billions of revenue for MLS.  If you're MLS, why not open the door for everyone?  I don't think Charlotte or Raleigh gets added this cycle, but I'll make a bold projection that both cities have a team by 2030.  People that say the state couldn't support two MLS franchises are crazy.  Obviously we're looking at entirely different cultures and places, but cities all across the world and have like 10 franchises in one city.  London and Buenos Aires are two quick and easy examples.  The state of NC could easily support two teams, and I think both are getting in as long as the ownership groups for both stay committed.  MLS is going to become a league unlike any other, I think there will be 40 teams in it one day.  It'd be really smart to implement pro/rel when the league gets that big, but that's just not happening.  Raleigh seems to be a bit further ahead and way more organized than CLT right now, that partership with the CASL program is big news and a great deal.  But I think the league prefers CLT.  So I don't see either city getting a team right now, but I see both landing one in the next decade or so.  Just thinking about a possible derby match between CLT and NCFC gets me giddy.  fug NCFC already.  Until CLT gets an MLS team I'm Independence for life.

charlotte-mls-photo-credit-manica-archit

Rendering of a potential stadium in Memorial Stadium location.  Soccer is the future in this country, we can't get left behind.  Hope Marcus Smith stays committed to the cause.  I think he would be a fearless owner and committed to beating everybody thanks to his roots in NASCAR.

6 hours ago, djp14 said:

Here's the funny thing about MLS Expansion - nobody talks about what happens after the expansion window closes. Will FC Cincinnati still pull 24K crowds after being passed over? Doubtful. And what happens to the rest of the league? Charlotte Independence only exist as part of a plan to reach MLS. How many USL teams are in the same boat? It'll be interesting to watch this play out.

A lot of USL teams serve as minor league teams for MLS teams.  Independence affiliated with Colorado Rapids.  If CLT gets a team, it would be cool if Independence became our minor league team.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the Triangle has a much better chance of securing a team than Charlotte.

Smith's bid was all about the wow factor but lacked any sort of financial stability.

Malik's bid didn't really have a superior wow factor but he is financing the entire thing. He also already brought the NWSL back to Raleigh and created the largest youth soccer organization in the country when he convinced CASL & TFC to merge to form North Carolina FC. Not to mention, their rebranding has already taken place. However, because the bid lacked a potential wow factor that could set RDU apart; NCFC is going to need other bids to lose steam.

Just my opinon but I think the list looks something like this:

1. Sacramento, 2. Cincinnati, 3. Phoenix, 4. San Antonio, 5. Tampa Bay, 6. Nashville, 7. Raleigh, 8. Detroit, 9. Indianapolis, 10. Charlotte, 11. San Diego, 12. St. Louis

The Charlotte market fits the template of what the MLS wants - Downtown stadium in young, urban environment. But without the govt. handout, there's no way it happens.

NCFC has their act together financially and otherwise, but how excited would MLS be about having a team in the Raleigh suburbs? Not very, I suppose.

1. Sacramento, 2. Cincinnati, 3. Phoenix, 4. San Antonio, 5. Tampa Bay, 6. Nashville, 7. Raleigh, 8. Detroit, 9. Indianapolis, 10. Charlotte, 11. San Diego, 12. St. Louis

Looks about right, although I'd probably put Charlotte 12th.

3 hours ago, djp14 said:

The Charlotte market fits the template of what the MLS wants - Downtown stadium in young, urban environment. But without the govt. handout, there's no way it happens.

NCFC has their act together financially and otherwise, but how excited would MLS be about having a team in the Raleigh suburbs? Not very, I suppose.

Looks about right, although I'd probably put Charlotte 12th.

They still haven't released the location for the proposed stadium. Malik says they have a plan where it could be placed downtown. I'd like to know where though. Anyone that has been to Raleigh knows there is no room because that city stays under construction.

1 hour ago, Goondal said:

It would be idiotic for Tampa to get a team.  Not only is it not a good soccer area but they just got a team in Orlando and are putting one in Miami.

Tampa is only ahead of some options right now because they plan on leasing a stadium. So if some of these cities don't receive funding for stadiums they'll get a spot by default. 

Cities like Nashville and San Antiono would be higher if they had concrete plans. For instance, Nashville's funding and stadium proposals are all sorts of messed up but the MLS seems to like the city. San Antonio just needs to expand their current stadium but they may not receiving funding. Raleigh can be thrown in this category as well but they are going to have to impress the MLS with their stadium proposal.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived