• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mecklenburg County BOC approves new MLS Stadium/CCC Fugs it up/1/30-bid still ON despite CCC

Nails

So Charlotte officially did submit their bid.  We'll be up against 11 other cities, with four bids being distributed.  I think our chances are decent.  Not impossible.  MLS seems to want one more team in the southeast region, so that puts us up against Tampa Bay and Raleigh.  I would say Tampa Bay has the best chance right now, as they've been campaigning hard for awhile.  As of a few days ago, I would have put us in front of Raleigh but apparently their bid included renderings for a stadium in downtown Raleigh that are blowing officials away.  So I think out of the three we're in last place right now, especially with so much still being up in the air with the city yet to commit to paying the money.  Locking down Memorial stadium would be huge for our chances, as it's the exact type of location the MLS is looking for.  Either way, those of us soccer junkies let's make our voices heard.  Find people to email, stay in contact with Marcus Smith on twitter who's been very active.  I honestly think he could be a fantastic owner.  Tweet him, he reads them.  He's favorited a tweet or two of mine that I've sent him.  Find city officials to contact, let them know we want this.  Soccer is the future, let's not get left behind.

1 hour ago, RoaringRiot said:

I can't believe anyone would take Tampa seriously considering their attendance at the Bucs and Rays game is pathetic. 

Agreed, also considering they just started a team in Orlando a few years ago and have Miami being a team soon. 

They also had a team that failed fifteen years ago. 

This is in no way a soccer area.  There are no real soccer bars here at all. 

3 hours ago, RoaringRiot said:

I can't believe anyone would take Tampa seriously considering their attendance at the Bucs and Rays game is pathetic. 

Considering one of the four teams WILL come from Tampa, Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh, only the CCC could mess it up, which they've done so far.  I highly encourage all that see the slam dunk MLS to CLT is to write everyone in the CCC and the mayor.

Archived