• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Choice

Mark S

11 hours ago, Seal (SmittyIsOurSavior) said:

Oh yeah, and like others said, there's time to think about your future regardless of where you go. The school you choose wont be the difference between whether you're successful in life or not. I honestly feel like college was more about the experience than the education, and I'm sure most would likely agree with me there.

You'll never be in a place with tens of thousands of people who are from completely different walks of life with different world views, political perspectives, ethnic/racial/religious/socioeconomic backgrounds, etc etc etc. For example, I went into school as a closed-minded relatively small town kid who thought he knew what was up with the world, what he wanted to do with his life, what the "right" outlook on everything from politics to socialization was, and I quickly realized I didn't know sh*t because I never really saw it from a different perspective other than my own. I thought I was gonna be working for the US government after I finished school, and now I'm less than a year out of graduating and don't even live in the country anymore.

I digress, but TL;DR, make the right decision for NOW you & 18-22 year old you, not the potential you 20 years down the line, cause you'll very likely change so much more in these next 4 years than you'd ever expect.

Pretty great info. Seems like consensus is to go with my gut of what feels more comfortable. 

Computer Science is way different from "other" engineering.  If you think you might want to do engineering, do not go to UNC.

If you want to do engineering,  UNC Charlotte and State are the best places to go in NC.

If you want to go to school with at least somewhat balanced male to female ratio, do not go to state.

For traditional engineering (civil mech and electrical) UNC Charlotte is the way to go.

For more specialized engineering (biomedical, agricultural, etc) state is the way to go.

7 minutes ago, Jase said:

Computer Science is way different from "other" engineering.  If you think you might want to do engineering, do not go to UNC.

If you want to do engineering,  UNC Charlotte and State are the best places to go in NC.

If you want to go to school with at least somewhat balanced male to female ratio, do not go to state.

For traditional engineering (civil mech and electrical) UNC Charlotte is the way to go.

For more specialized engineering (biomedical, agricultural, etc) state is the way to go.

And if you want to major in partying for four years, East Carolina is the way to go, or so I heard.  :)

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

And if you want to major in partying for four years, East Carolina is the way to go, or so I heard.  :)

The people I know who went to ECU all ended up majoring in syphilis, but YMMV :-D

48 minutes ago, Jase said:

It's not the best but it's not that bad. Definitely better from years past. 

IMG_4920.PNG

Archived