• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our Future Tight End

Catufb85

3 minutes ago, 15 said:

you can teach a guy to become a great blocker. you can't teach athleticism.

none of us know what Dave's board looks like, but he will pick the best player available. he will not reach for a TE that can block. 

All the TEs I mentioned are athletic  and can block too but it's not like Greg Olsen is freak athlete :) 

P.S. I was pretty accurate  about Hunter Henry, Bradberry , Butler etc etc 

Just now, 15 said:

Dave didn't draft Greg or trade for him.

they are athletic and I love all of them. it's too early to play this game, but Howard is not worth the 8th pick, and will not be available in the second. Leggett is not worth the 40 pick and will not be there in the 3rd. 

Njoku would be BPA at 40.

Haha such liar , Howard would be BPA and Leggett will be a good 2-3rd round pick 

Njoku will not be taken by the Panthers if those 2 are available.

42 minutes ago, 15 said:

here's a short list of a receivers that had questionable hands but freakish athleticism and potential that worked out:

Alshon Jeffrey - 59.6%

Julio Jones - 51.8%

Calvin Johnson - 48.1%

Demaryius Thomas - 47.5%

also can't forget about the guy we took in first round a couple years ago with a 59% catch percentage. still needs some work but can't complain about a kid averaging just under 1K yards and 9 TD's a year.

I would think that drop percentage is the more appropriate statistic being that we're talking hands.

I will say that some of the better receivers in the league let some get away, so that's not necessarily the litmus test for acquiring talent.

Just now, 15 said:

Liar? how can you lie about something that hasn't happened yet? do you mean that you don't agree with my opinion?

Howard is not a top 10 talent and we do not need to spend a top 10 pick on a #2 TE. 

Leggett is solid, but will not be the BPA at #40 and will not be available at our next pick.

Njoku will be a top 25 lock after the combine, and if he is there at #40 - he will not doubt be BPA.

Like I said, it's too early for this sort of talk but that is how I see things panning out. 

So it's your opinion he is not a top 10 talent. 

He will be getting the Shaq treatment learn from the Vet and replace him in the near future. He will be  #1 TE 

It's either gonna be Fournette or Howard depending on who falls 

15 minutes ago, 15 said:

yep, we're discussing our opinions here. that's what you do on a forum. literally neither of us have no say in anything the panthers do and have no clue whats being discussed behind closed doors, but we sit here and discuss to kill time at work.

you draft guys like Shaq and Butler to come in and learn while getting some quality reps at the end of the first, you don't draft a guy like that in the top 10 after a shitty season. we need a dude that is going to play almost every snap and make a huge impact. round two? yeah, give me Njoku and make him learn from a fellow Miami alum and all time great how to block and be a consummate pro.

I like your statement glad some ppl understand that we are just spewing opinions lol 

He will be on the field more than any DEs or Saftey the only position he wouldn't beat is RB in terms of production.

He can run & pass block and catch like Olsen he will be on the field for  99% of the snaps like Olsen. 

When you consider the flux at LT  which he will be lining up next  2, all those skill sets will make everyone around  him better.

Also DG has been on record Raving about OJ Howard. 

go through any position rankings out there right now about the Tight Ends coming into this draft.. All the same type player at 6'5ish 245-250ish with above average Athleticism.. I haven't found a true blocking Tight End yet.  Just like the spread QBs coming into the league the past few years, the college level has evolved into a pass heavy offensive style.  You read these evaluations of strengths and weaknesses and the same. Big athletic tight ends with gifted and talented but lack strength, muscle mass, hand-strength, etc. to sustain blocks. Strength and blocking can be taught.  Size and speed these guys have can't be.  This year is a great year to get your next Athletic Tight End.

1 minute ago, 15 said:

I  mean, if our offense switches back to a 2 TE set like it was before Shula - then maybe. you're banking on Shula switching things up though which is...yeah. 

Things on offense are gonna be changing according to Rivera I think it will be combination of 2011 & 2015  also other things we have learned in past couple of season. 

But I rather have your guy than Dickson as # 2 :)

10 minutes ago, 15 said:

I  mean, if our offense switches back to a 2 TE set like it was before Shula - then maybe. you're banking on Shula switching things up though which is...yeah. 

Even under Shula last season, we had two TEs on the field more often than not. I think Dickson played about 55% of snaps.

O.J. Howard at #8 wouldn't shock me.

Kid is going to go top 10-15 in the 2nd round.  He is going to put up solid combine #s but he is about as raw as it gets.  I know many down here in Miami get about as frustrated with him as we do KB.  He will make a occasional freak catch but has Tons of wide open drops.  His blocking is non existent (hence his being raw)  pretty laughable if you think the Phins or Giants will go for him round 1 when they know they will be atleast solid trading diatance to get him in the 2nd, plus both teams have bigger needs (giants losing JPP plus need help blocking, Flowers is a good RT but if he stays at LT they will be looking for Eli's replacment sooner then theyd like.  Phins will lose Mario and will need help pass rush and LBs, plus Tannehill is about 1 pick from being run out of town.  You think our fans dislike Remmers, you shouod take a listen to people feeling toward Tannehill down here in South Florida) He is Very much so like Ebron minus the blocking.  Again as i repeat his lack of blocking, this will be the reason why we dont grab him.  Our TEs are relied on to block Way more than other teams like Chargers, Saints, etc.

As a overall TE prospect id put him below Hunter Henry (remember Many scouts had him the top TE prospect to come out in several years and he still fell to the 2nd round)

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Even under Shula last season, we had two TEs on the field more often than not. I think Dickson played about 55% of snaps.

O.J. Howard at #8 wouldn't shock me.

Shula does play more 2 TE sets than most think around here.  He just uses it defferently than Chud did.  Shula likes to use the 2nd one as a primary blocker first.  You see him motion into the backfield like a H-back (very very similar to how you used to see Nick Oleary at FSU with Winston) before Dickson we had Swole Bones back there.

Actually if you really look at film Leggett plays our #2 TE role at Clemson almost to the T.  You see him motion back, block etc.  Thus the reason im on board to grabbing him the most later in the 3rd

I just wonder if us using our #2 TE primarily as a blocker has been more out of necessity due to our weakness at OT than by choice? I also wonder if we had a more dynamic option at that position if we wouldn't do more to involve it in the passing attack. With as many snaps as Dickson got with as few targets as he received I have to wonder why we didn't simply run more tackle eligible plays and rolled with a legit extra OL on the field.

9 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I can't believe people would consider Howard at #8. The guy was rarely used at Alabama for a reason. He's not a Top 10 talent. If he didn't go off on Clemson, he'd be considered a Day 2 prospect. For a guy who is 6'6", he can't handle a bullrush... but hey as long as he burns crappy secondaries, right? Njoku is superior. 

As for those bringing up the #2 TE is suppose to primarily block argument, then what the fug was Shockey? Jeremy at that age was a poo blocker. He was only used as a weapon in the passing game when he was here. The selective history in here amazes me.

Your own selective reading comprehension amazes me. ncfan specifically mentioned that Shula uses the #2 TE differently than Chud did. The Shockey days were under Chud.

Stop being so blinded by your own bias and butthurt and try to actually understand what other people are saying before shitting all over your keyboard in response.

Archived