• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RB Alvin Kamara - Is He Overrated? One Analyst Thinks So.

Saca312

In a draft where Fournette and Cook beg for attention, there are plenty of other RBs that help make this one of the deepest drafts in a while. Many players are being hyped as the next impact player of 2017, and plenty of runningbacks are getting praise. A recent runningback to suddenly rise is Alvin Kamara.

Alvin Kamara on first sight looks like a real good back. He's shifty, and he's got traits to become a decent rb. He looks like he's breaking tackles, and he seems fine. Many analysts have inflated his stock and put him in their top 5 list of upcoming runningbacks. But does he truly deserve the recognition?

One particular analyst doesn't believe the hype. He thinks he isn't even in the top 20.

Pretty harsh indeed.

Anyhow, here's his analysis and video. He's someone I recently found, and his stuff on runningbacks, quarterbacks, and wide receivers are amazing.

Some Pre-Thoughts from him:

Tennessee’s Alvin Kamara is ... one who can easily have qualities projected onto his game that don’t exist—or at least don’t exist to the degree that some believe. It’s what happens when have a high-energy runner with quickness, balance, and agility.

This RSP Boiler Room examines two plays where Kamara appears to break a lot of tackles. But what should be counted as a broken tackle? Or, more importantly, what type of broken tackles are a sign of power?

Here's another segment where he goes in-depth in his overall view of Kamara. He gives reasons why he doesn't believe he'll make it in the top 15-20 on his runningback list. 

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/02/14/rsp-boiler-room-no-82-rb-alvin-kamara-fine-points-of-decision-making/

I like Kamara. He’s a dynamic space player who can do some good work between the tackles. But in a rich class of runners, you won’t see him in my top 5 list of backs.

It’s unlikely he’ll be in my top 10. And unless I see overwhelming evidence of better ball security and decision-making—which is doubtful—he won’t be in my top 15-20.

It doesn’t make Kamara a bad player. I have a process that differs from the NFL’s system of round grades. While I’m critical of that system for compelling reasons as a former operations guy,  there is validity to giving more weight to a player’s projected improvement than his current portfolio of work.

I project player development within my process, but there are limits to how much weight I’m willing to give. If Kamara improves his ball security, I would easily place him inside my top 15-20 and (if) when he matures as a decision-maker,  he could score within my top 8-12 backs.

I recommend watching both these videos. He makes some fine points, and I would say one of the best internet analysts out there.

He puts no bias in his analysis, and determines a player based on their production and skill alone. Seriously, I loved watching his stuff. Very good thoughts on the players, and really helps you understand a player better.

I dont really believe the hype on the kid.  Dont get me wrong he is talented and would consider him at the top of the 4th.  But really dont see what makes him better than the Clemson kid, and seems to me the Clemson kid runs harder than Karma.

55 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I dont really believe the hype on the kid.  Dont get me wrong he is talented and would consider him at the top of the 4th.  But really dont see what makes him better than the Clemson kid, and seems to me the Clemson kid runs harder than Karma.

Fully agree. I don't see much special from film, and looks to be simply a product of a system.

Archived