• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An Offense Heavy FA

Ship

There are a ton of interesting FAs this year. The cream of the crop isn't necessarily a murderers row of all pros, but the guys who compose the middle ranks of a quality team are all sitting out there as FAs this year. We have a chance to find high quality compliments to our established and rising stars. I'm not a fan of any of the big names in FA, I think DeSean Jackson would be a massive disappointment here. JPP wouldn't be the most cringeworthy, but wouldn't really move the needle for me either. Anyway, here is a list of interesting names. I've attempted to order them by my level of priority, but some are on an equal level.

TOP TARGETS

1. Adam Thielen, WR, Vikings (RFA)

Unfortunately, he is a RFA, which definitely doesn't make him a shoe-in. This guy is the stud we need in our WR-core. He is like a better Ricky Proehl: he is a crafty slot receiver and a grinder. I think he is more athletic than Ricky was and seems to be just as consistent. He also makes a guest starring appearance as the guy who blocked our kick when we played them in 2014-- he'll do whatever we ask. After judging our WR's the past 2 seasons, bigger isn't necessarily better. No doubt when KB plays big, he is nasty, but him and Funch are not consistent big bodies on the field. In addition, height and wingspan don't fix Cam's accuracy issues. Cam overthrows everyone regardless of how tall they are. I don't think big men will cover up that issue for Cam, he needs new coaching and a new focus on his mechanics, and better protection of course. In 2015 we had Philly and Cotch tearing it up. Cam is better with smart crafty guys because he doesn't fall into the trap that a player like KB creates for a QB. Think of Cam trying to survive in the wild-- if he goes out with a giant gun, he probably thinks he can take on anything and kill anything with it, so he ignores doing the little things right and protecting himself, because he thinks he can just throw it up to KB. Having guys like Brown, Cotch, and Thielen will help Cam survive because even though they are talented at their jobs, Cam doesn't feel like he has the same safety net; he has to be more precise, he has to be more locked in and engaged with the mind game against CBs. I think guys like Thielen will make Cam a better QB, in addition to being a talented stud in his own right. Unfortunately, I doubt the Vikings let him get away. But if we get a crack at him and we want to put a new WR in the room, I hope we make a big push.

2. Kyle Juszcyzk, FB, Ravens

I want you to imagine an offense with two TEs and a FB... who can also play like a TE. This guy can catch the ball and make all kinds of plays down the field. In addition, and more importantly, this guy is a devastating hitter. Oh, and by the way, he went to Harvard, so he has the smarts to pick up our running game and play a very versatile role (understanding multiple positions and his place in the offense). This is the kind of mindset we need on our offense, every time he has the ball, he is mowing down guys and making plays after contact. We need a punisher on offense. I believe the only way we will stop the dirty hits on Cam is to deliver the same back. We need guys who will take defenders out of the game and make them play scared. This guy has the power to protect Cam, create lanes for runners, and also get down field for a big catch. I definitely agree we need a top FB and this guy appears to be the best in the league. Based on his talent, I would be willing to take him to fill both the FB and 2nd TE roles if we need to. He is that talented. This guy embodies the idea of evolving our offense from a power running/power passing, heavy set perspective.

3. Luke Willson, TE, Seahawks

Luke Willson is a classic Russel Wilson, Bill Belichick player. A guy who is overlooked, but smart, driven, disciplined, and just athletic enough to win and make those obnoxious plays that kill a defense's morale. Basically a guy we never usually have on the team, but should. Willson has played in an offense that doesn't feature him much, but, especially against the Panthers, has gone to him in some big moments, and he has always delivered. This guy has literally beaten us like twice by a touchdown. Also, by the nature of his team, he is a well rounded player. The guy can block and the guy can catch the ball. He has good hands and that alone would be a revelation on our team. I also just think he is a guy who can end up taking another step if he's in the right situation. As it stands right now, Willson would be an ideal number 2, but depending on how much we move to a 2 TE offense this year, he could easily turn into a 1b with Olsen, and would be very solid if Olsen goes down. I personally think Olsen takes hits that would take other players out of a game. It's a matter of time until he starts getting too banged up, and I could see him missing a game or two next season because of it. Willson would give us a legit 2 TE set.

4. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Jaguars

Cyprien is like a missing puzzle piece for us. He is a SS who has been playing without a FS, causing him to look bad and play outside of his role. We are a team without a SS, forcing our FS to play out of his role. If we put Cyprien with Coleman, we will have a perfect S tandem. Cyprien will provide the in the box safety role that this team needs, along with having enough talent in the passing game to help out Kurt. Again, he isn't coming here to rack up the INTs, but he will help Kurt return to his career highs, and will get some nice plays on his own. Additionally, this guy is a leader. He is a guy who will grow into being our signal caller from the back end and will improve all the guys around him. He will thrive here and he will help the secondary thrive.

5. Riley Reiff, OT, Lions

Reiff is the definition of average. But In a world where top OTs are super rare, consistently average is a valuable resource. I firmly believe that Cam is good enough to not require a Joe Thomas level guy protecting his blindside. This isn't to say we shouldn't want a stud LT. But Oher was fine protecting Cam in 2015 and when he was healthy, Oher protected Cam very well at the beginning of 2016. An average tackle will suffer against a team like Denver with elite pass rushers, but even in 2016, we saw that we could combat that enough to move the ball and be in a position to win the game. The issue in that game was the head shots. Without the head shots we win. Every OT will give up a sack or a hit at some point, the OT can't control what the defender does when they get there. The other end of that spectrum is games like the 49ers, where Cam has great protection and can sit back and sling the ball. We have the talent to win lots of games with average OTs. Oher seemed to have great chemistry with the rest of the line. This is something that our next LT will have to have. Reiff will have to be a fit here. I would like Oher to come back, but he just seems to have suffered a life-long injury, so I don't think he should come back. If Oher's back I will cringe every play because I fear for his brain. I think we need a guy like Reiff to just continue holding down the fort until a developmental OT comes around. Reiff is solid enough for us to win again and we should make sure we secure that.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

WRs:

Robert Woods-- this guy has attitude and the chops to play a bigger role, but can be a solid contributor at slot and outside. he fills in for sammy watkins regularly, and I think with a better QB he will be a better player.

Anquan Boldin-- we need a vet in the WR room and I think this guy has the best chance to connect with KB and Funch and get them on the right track long term. He is a man of the year guy and has the character and leadership we desire. He also can play a solid Cotch-esque role for another year or so.

Kendall Wright-- seems to not be totally engaged, but not sure if that's because the Titans don't use him well enough and seem set on replacing their WRs. He has great speed and potential. If his head is on right, he could be an upgrade over Ginn.

OTS:

Matt Kalil-- he really seems to suck, but his injuries have certainly seemed to be a factor in that. I think grabbing him would solely depend on our and Ryan's belief that we could get him locked in on the game and that he can recover his health.

Ryan Clady-- i rate him down here because of injuries. i'm valuing a guy who can stay on the field above talent, especially at our OT spots. last year was scarring to see on that front. however, if we roll the dice here, we might get lucky and have a healthy year from him. This would require a lot of research on his injuries and current recovery.

SS:

Tony Jefferson-- I almost like him the same as Cyprien and I am amazed at how young this guy is. Only 25, I feel like he has been around forever. He is very talented and I thought so before this past season, so the idea he could be a one year wonder doesn't faze me.

DE:

Julius Peppers-- probably the only FA DE I'd be ok with. we know what he is, and he would fill a situational role for us I think. Of all the guys who have left us, I like the idea of mending the fence with him the most. I also think he was a panther in the wrong era. Imagine him coming on the team now, with Cam and Luke as the guys. Pep would be safely in the background and we'd never have the problems we had back then with him.

3 hours ago, Ship said:

There are a ton of interesting FAs this year. The cream of the crop isn't necessarily a murderers row of all pros, but the guys who compose the middle ranks of a quality team are all sitting out there as FAs this year. We have a chance to find high quality compliments to our established and rising stars. I'm not a fan of any of the big names in FA, I think DeSean Jackson would be a massive disappointment here. JPP wouldn't be the most cringeworthy, but wouldn't really move the needle for me either. Anyway, here is a list of interesting names. I've attempted to order them by my level of priority, but some are on an equal level.

TOP TARGETS

1. Adam Thielen, WR, Vikings (RFA)

Unfortunately, he is a RFA, which definitely doesn't make him a shoe-in. This guy is the stud we need in our WR-core. He is like a better Ricky Proehl: he is a crafty slot receiver and a grinder. I think he is more athletic than Ricky was and seems to be just as consistent. He also makes a guest starring appearance as the guy who blocked our kick when we played them in 2014-- he'll do whatever we ask. After judging our WR's the past 2 seasons, bigger isn't necessarily better. No doubt when KB plays big, he is nasty, but him and Funch are not consistent big bodies on the field. In addition, height and wingspan don't fix Cam's accuracy issues. Cam overthrows everyone regardless of how tall they are. I don't think big men will cover up that issue for Cam, he needs new coaching and a new focus on his mechanics, and better protection of course. In 2015 we had Philly and Cotch tearing it up. Cam is better with smart crafty guys because he doesn't fall into the trap that a player like KB creates for a QB. Think of Cam trying to survive in the wild-- if he goes out with a giant gun, he probably thinks he can take on anything and kill anything with it, so he ignores doing the little things right and protecting himself, because he thinks he can just throw it up to KB. Having guys like Brown, Cotch, and Thielen will help Cam survive because even though they are talented at their jobs, Cam doesn't feel like he has the same safety net; he has to be more precise, he has to be more locked in and engaged with the mind game against CBs. I think guys like Thielen will make Cam a better QB, in addition to being a talented stud in his own right. Unfortunately, I doubt the Vikings let him get away. But if we get a crack at him and we want to put a new WR in the room, I hope we make a big push.

2. Kyle Juszcyzk, FB, Ravens

I want you to imagine an offense with two TEs and a FB... who can also play like a TE. This guy can catch the ball and make all kinds of plays down the field. In addition, and more importantly, this guy is a devastating hitter. Oh, and by the way, he went to Harvard, so he has the smarts to pick up our running game and play a very versatile role (understanding multiple positions and his place in the offense). This is the kind of mindset we need on our offense, every time he has the ball, he is mowing down guys and making plays after contact. We need a punisher on offense. I believe the only way we will stop the dirty hits on Cam is to deliver the same back. We need guys who will take defenders out of the game and make them play scared. This guy has the power to protect Cam, create lanes for runners, and also get down field for a big catch. I definitely agree we need a top FB and this guy appears to be the best in the league. Based on his talent, I would be willing to take him to fill both the FB and 2nd TE roles if we need to. He is that talented. This guy embodies the idea of evolving our offense from a power running/power passing, heavy set perspective.

3. Luke Willson, TE, Seahawks

Luke Willson is a classic Russel Wilson, Bill Belichick player. A guy who is overlooked, but smart, driven, disciplined, and just athletic enough to win and make those obnoxious plays that kill a defense's morale. Basically a guy we never usually have on the team, but should. Willson has played in an offense that doesn't feature him much, but, especially against the Panthers, has gone to him in some big moments, and he has always delivered. This guy has literally beaten us like twice by a touchdown. Also, by the nature of his team, he is a well rounded player. The guy can block and the guy can catch the ball. He has good hands and that alone would be a revelation on our team. I also just think he is a guy who can end up taking another step if he's in the right situation. As it stands right now, Willson would be an ideal number 2, but depending on how much we move to a 2 TE offense this year, he could easily turn into a 1b with Olsen, and would be very solid if Olsen goes down. I personally think Olsen takes hits that would take other players out of a game. It's a matter of time until he starts getting too banged up, and I could see him missing a game or two next season because of it. Willson would give us a legit 2 TE set.

4. Jonathan Cyprien, S, Jaguars

Cyprien is like a missing puzzle piece for us. He is a SS who has been playing without a FS, causing him to look bad and play outside of his role. We are a team without a SS, forcing our FS to play out of his role. If we put Cyprien with Coleman, we will have a perfect S tandem. Cyprien will provide the in the box safety role that this team needs, along with having enough talent in the passing game to help out Kurt. Again, he isn't coming here to rack up the INTs, but he will help Kurt return to his career highs, and will get some nice plays on his own. Additionally, this guy is a leader. He is a guy who will grow into being our signal caller from the back end and will improve all the guys around him. He will thrive here and he will help the secondary thrive.

5. Riley Reiff, OT, Lions

Reiff is the definition of average. But In a world where top OTs are super rare, consistently average is a valuable resource. I firmly believe that Cam is good enough to not require a Joe Thomas level guy protecting his blindside. This isn't to say we shouldn't want a stud LT. But Oher was fine protecting Cam in 2015 and when he was healthy, Oher protected Cam very well at the beginning of 2016. An average tackle will suffer against a team like Denver with elite pass rushers, but even in 2016, we saw that we could combat that enough to move the ball and be in a position to win the game. The issue in that game was the head shots. Without the head shots we win. Every OT will give up a sack or a hit at some point, the OT can't control what the defender does when they get there. The other end of that spectrum is games like the 49ers, where Cam has great protection and can sit back and sling the ball. We have the talent to win lots of games with average OTs. Oher seemed to have great chemistry with the rest of the line. This is something that our next LT will have to have. Reiff will have to be a fit here. I would like Oher to come back, but he just seems to have suffered a life-long injury, so I don't think he should come back. If Oher's back I will cringe every play because I fear for his brain. I think we need a guy like Reiff to just continue holding down the fort until a developmental OT comes around. Reiff is solid enough for us to win again and we should make sure we secure that.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

WRs:

Robert Woods-- this guy has attitude and the chops to play a bigger role, but can be a solid contributor at slot and outside. he fills in for sammy watkins regularly, and I think with a better QB he will be a better player.

Anquan Boldin-- we need a vet in the WR room and I think this guy has the best chance to connect with KB and Funch and get them on the right track long term. He is a man of the year guy and has the character and leadership we desire. He also can play a solid Cotch-esque role for another year or so.

Kendall Wright-- seems to not be totally engaged, but not sure if that's because the Titans don't use him well enough and seem set on replacing their WRs. He has great speed and potential. If his head is on right, he could be an upgrade over Ginn.

OTS:

Matt Kalil-- he really seems to suck, but his injuries have certainly seemed to be a factor in that. I think grabbing him would solely depend on our and Ryan's belief that we could get him locked in on the game and that he can recover his health.

Ryan Clady-- i rate him down here because of injuries. i'm valuing a guy who can stay on the field above talent, especially at our OT spots. last year was scarring to see on that front. however, if we roll the dice here, we might get lucky and have a healthy year from him. This would require a lot of research on his injuries and current recovery.

SS:

Tony Jefferson-- I almost like him the same as Cyprien and I am amazed at how young this guy is. Only 25, I feel like he has been around forever. He is very talented and I thought so before this past season, so the idea he could be a one year wonder doesn't faze me.

DE:

Julius Peppers-- probably the only FA DE I'd be ok with. we know what he is, and he would fill a situational role for us I think. Of all the guys who have left us, I like the idea of mending the fence with him the most. I also think he was a panther in the wrong era. Imagine him coming on the team now, with Cam and Luke as the guys. Pep would be safely in the background and we'd never have the problems we had back then with him.

This is an exceptional post. It's sad that our team "insiders" like David Newton or anyone from Charlotte Observer don't have the skill/talent to write something like this.

23 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

This is an exceptional post. It's sad that our team "insiders" like David Newton or anyone from Charlotte Observer don't have the skill/talent to write something like this.

Thanks! That really means a lot. I love following this team and discussing ideas on here. It's too bad that a lot of the pro writers lose that passion/interest as it becomes just another job.

5 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Peppers? What is this obsession we have with lazy, declining talent? He'd be Tolbert on defense. No thanks. The guy is no leader or mentor. Therefore, he doesn't have a place on this team. If we're interested in signing a vet then I rather take Wake. Fug Peppers.

I would agree but didn't the Dolphins extend him two years?

39 minutes ago, RickyManningJr said:

Lol MN isn't letting Thielen go. He is from MN.

I agree it's a long shot that we get a crack at him. I just think that of the players on the FA list currently, he would be the best WR based on his talent and what we need. Obviously a 1st round tender won't be possible for us, but if he gets a 2nd round tender I would still have to consider him. 

I don't even think we could afford all the people on this list, they are just who I view are the best fits for our team.

24 minutes ago, Ship said:

I agree it's a long shot that we get a crack at him. I just think that of the players on the FA list currently, he would be the best WR based on his talent and what we need. Obviously a 1st round tender won't be possible for us, but if he gets a 2nd round tender I would still have to consider him. 

I don't even think we could afford all the people on this list, they are just who I view are the best fits for our team.

What about a straight trade for Corey Brown, who is also a RFA. Vikes might need the speed if/when Corderelle Patterson leaves as an UFA.

Archived