• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scouts Feel Jonathan Allen's Stock Is Falling. A lot.

Saca312

11 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Another guy who assumes Allen will be a DT...let me post what I posted for another guy who thought the same thing:

You understand this guy was far and away the best defender in college, and I dare say more productive than Myles Garrett?

Plus, you understand he's not going to be a DT in the NFL, right?

Allen weighed in at the combine at 286, that's heavy for a 4-3 DE but not absurd. Both now and in the past the Panthers used ends at or close to 280 pounds such as Hardy(280) and Ealy(275), and Charles Johnson(285). We could easily draft Allen and ask him to lose a couple of pounds, it wouldn't be a substantial amount.

I'm not sure why it's difficult for people to imagine him as a DE in the NFL. He played end at Alabama, and he doesn't have the weight of a nose tackle or even plus sized 3-tech.

In the Panthers' 4-3 scheme I could see Allen as a end on first and second down. On third down he could go inside while Short kicks out to end. If not, I can see the opposite on 3rd down situations as well.

Additionally, we want to give Mario Addison more snaps so adding more run-stopping would make up for his deficiencies. 286 isn't too big to be an end in a 4-3 and with his talent the Panthers will figure out a way to utilize him.

So, again tell me how this guy wouldn't fit?

Its not about weight. It's about stiffness. He doesn't have the bend or explosiveness for a 4-3 DE. If we got him, we'd be getting the second coming of Tyler Brayton. 

Archived