• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scouts Feel Jonathan Allen's Stock Is Falling. A lot.

Saca312

Once upon a time, it was being reported that the Bears and 49ers are highly interested in Allen and there was no way he sneaks out of the top 3. Many mocks would even go as far to say the Browns would consider him above Myles Garrett based on fit.

Now, they're talking about him being picked in the teens. 

While I personally feel the Panthers would no doubt snatch this hog-molly up if he were available, scouts are saying this guy's stock is falling. So much so, that he may not even be a top 10 pick anymore, which is completely surprising.

The culprit? His shoulders.

Now, I personally don't feel they are a problem and trust his word and doctors, but teams are starting to look at his shoulders as something to watch. Matt Miller has sources from scouts expressing concern, so it's fair to assume he knows what he's talking about.

If his stock is falling that much, would you think it's safe to snatch him at 8 if available? I'll remind you again this guy is easily the second best defender behind Myles Garrett. He was far and away one of the best players in college this year, and cases have been made for him to go 1st overall.

Again, what say you?

4 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

tenor.gif

Going to have 53 DTs and LBs lol

Another guy who assumes Allen will be a DT...let me post what I posted for another guy who thought the same thing:

You understand this guy was far and away the best defender in college, and I dare say more productive than Myles Garrett?

Plus, you understand he's not going to be a DT in the NFL, right?

Allen weighed in at the combine at 286, that's heavy for a 4-3 DE but not absurd. Both now and in the past the Panthers used ends at or close to 280 pounds such as Hardy(280) and Ealy(275), and Charles Johnson(285). We could easily draft Allen and ask him to lose a couple of pounds, it wouldn't be a substantial amount.

I'm not sure why it's difficult for people to imagine him as a DE in the NFL. He played end at Alabama, and he doesn't have the weight of a nose tackle or even plus sized 3-tech.

In the Panthers' 4-3 scheme I could see Allen as a end on first and second down. On third down he could go inside while Short kicks out to end. If not, I can see the opposite on 3rd down situations as well.

Additionally, we want to give Mario Addison more snaps so adding more run-stopping would make up for his deficiencies. 286 isn't too big to be an end in a 4-3 and with his talent the Panthers will figure out a way to utilize him.

So, again tell me how this guy wouldn't fit?

Just now, Saca312 said:

Another guy who assumes Allen will be a DT...let me post what I posted for another guy who thought the same thing:

You understand this guy was far and away the best defender in college, and I dare say more productive than Myles Garrett?

Plus, you understand he's not going to be a DT in the NFL, right?

Allen weighed in at the combine at 286, that's heavy for a 4-3 DE but not absurd. Both now and in the past the Panthers used ends at or close to 280 pounds such as Hardy(280) and Ealy(275), and Charles Johnson(285). We could easily draft Allen and ask him to lose a couple of pounds, it wouldn't be a substantial amount.

I'm not sure why it's difficult for people to imagine him as a DE in the NFL. He played end at Alabama, and he doesn't have the weight of a nose tackle or even plus sized 3-tech.

In the Panthers' 4-3 scheme I could see Allen as a end on first and second down. On third down he could go inside while Short kicks out to end. If not, I can see the opposite on 3rd down situations as well.

Additionally, we want to give Mario Addison more snaps so adding more run-stopping would make up for his deficiencies. 286 isn't too big to be an end in a 4-3 and with his talent the Panthers will figure out a way to utilize him.

So, again tell me how this guy wouldn't fit?

Can he play S, RB, OT, WR, or TE? If so maybe he can fix our actual holes. To each their own. Have a good night.

tenor.gif

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

Can he play S, RB, OT, WR, or TE? If so maybe he can fix our actual holes. To each their own. Have a good night.

tenor.gif

If you don't consider DE a need you live on a different planet.

Deepest TE class in a decade. Deepest RB class in a decade. Deepest slot WR class in a while. Deepest S class in a while as well. 

Sucky OT class, but able to find stop-gaps in FA most likely.

Like I said, DEs are semi-deep, but the talent pool is different up top compared to later rounds. Now, Fournette would be a guy I'd go for if Allen is gone by our pick, but Allen is far and away BPA if he makes it down here.

Is there substance to the injury concerns though? I hear that the Tide coach uses up his players.

A lot of the better DE's didn't amaze at the combine. Barnett because of sickness, McKinlay, Taco.

Thomas like Allen is a guy who played a lot inside.

I was sold on Barnett and still like him but some of the later guys are beginning to look like better value-Willis had a good combine so too Basham and Walker.

55 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

tenor.gif

21 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Enough said.

DE is a need too.  Don't be so quick to dismiss it. Powell, you're better than that. CPF.. Not so much 

Archived