• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Contract Details

Bartin

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

I don't see where this info comes in. I read the 10M option is only an option after the first three years.

His current bonus is his signing bonus, which is 12M prorated over the first three seasons.

The 10M option kicks in in years 4-5 if we exercise it, and prorates half each year.

Where do you think the 25M guaranteed comes in? 12 at signing, 10 on the option( he just doesn't get that check until next year, and we knock off 2.5M on this years cap), the first two years base guaranteed is 2M, and 1M for workout bonus. That's the guarantee. It's a split signing bonus. Google is helpful. Hey, I didn't know how it really worked until yesterday. 

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Where do you think the 25M guaranteed comes in? 12 at signing, 10 on the option( he just doesn't get that check until next year, and we knock off 2.5M on this years cap), the first two years base guaranteed is 2M, and 1M for workout bonus. That's the guarantee. It's a split signing bonus. Google is helpful. Hey, I didn't know how it really worked until yesterday. 

Can you read?

9 minutes ago, Bronn said:

First three seasons:
Base salaries - 1m, 1m, 7m. = 9m
Signing bonus - 2.4m, 4.9m, 4.9m = 12.2m
Roster + workout bonus - 0, 1m, 1m = 2m
Total - 23.2m paid out = balance of 1.8m in cap obligation for guaranteed money.

Last two seasons:
Base salaries - 10m, 10m = 20m
Option bonus - 4.9m, 4.9m = 9.8m
Roster + workout bonus - 1m, 1m = 2m
Total - 31.8m paid out for two seasons

First three plus last two = $55m over 5 year term.

The option bonus is just that, an option. The only thing we owe him after year 3 is 1.8m and a handshake.

Your problem is you are counting his third year base salary as guaranteed money. It's not. It's only guaranteed 3 days after the league year starts after end of season. That does not figure into the 25M total at all. 

I'm not certain that spotrac and overthecap are reporting that option bonus correctly. Sure, it has to be exercised by next season, but the wording seems to indicate that it wouldn't take effect until 2021. That makes me think that amortizing it evenly starting next year, as these sites are doing, isn't how it would hit the books. But rather, it's gonna hit all at once, be it in 2018 or 2021.

This "non-exercise fee" must be handled differently than just doing an option bonus next year, otherwise that's what they would've done. This makes me think that all $10M of the fee would hit the cap at once instead of broken down over four years like a bonus.

This would also mesh with Person's report that the bonus is actually a part of his 2018 base. I suspect that if (when) the 2021 option is declined it reverts to base salary, as opposed to bonus as these sites are reporting.

That effectively means the deal is a fully guaranteed 2-year deal of $24M; followed by a 3-year, $31.5M deal with only the 2019 base of $7M guaranteed (injury only, fully guaranteed if not cut before third day of league year in 2019). Of course, some of the cap hit from the signing bonus would still linger ($2.4M per year) but they've essentially created a structure that makes it impossible to cut him in the first two years, but that they can easily escape in the years after that.

One of the more confusing contract structures I've seen, but it gives Kalil a couple years to prove himself before an inevitable restructuring in 2019 or 2020, be it a cut or extension.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

Can you read?

.  Yes. And I can correct people when they act like the smartest guy in the room and won't listen to anybody. Look at any site. Your numbers are fiction. 

Let's make this simple. 

Any signing bonus alone is split among the original length of the contract. That's 2.4/ yr for the next 5 years. Period. That can't change. Ever. So how in the hell are we going to only be responsible for 1.8M, with 2 years left? Leaving out the roster and workout bonus, that is still 4.8M. 

16 minutes ago, Bronn said:

He is guaranteed 25 million from us. If we keep him three years we will have paid him 23.2. We will only owe him 1.8 million at that point, with no further obligations or guarantees.

In DisneyLand maybe.

23 minutes ago, jdpanther5 said:

I'm not certain that spotrac and overthecap are reporting that option bonus correctly. Sure, it has to be exercised by next season, but the wording seems to indicate that it wouldn't take effect until 2021. That makes me think that amortizing it evenly starting next year, as these sites are doing, isn't how it would hit the books. But rather, it's gonna hit all at once, be it in 2018 or 2021.

This "non-exercise fee" must be handled differently than just doing an option bonus next year, otherwise that's what they would've done. This makes me think that all $10M of the fee would hit the cap at once instead of broken down over four years like a bonus.

This would also mesh with Person's report that the bonus is actually a part of his 2018 base. I suspect that if (when) the 2021 option is declined it reverts to base salary, as opposed to bonus as these sites are reporting.

That effectively means the deal is a fully guaranteed 2-year deal of $24M; followed by a 3-year, $31.5M deal with only the 2019 base of $7M guaranteed (injury only, fully guaranteed if not cut before third day of league year in 2019). Of course, some of the cap hit from the signing bonus would still linger ($2.4M per year) but they've essentially created a structure that makes it impossible to cut him in the first two years, but that they can easily escape in the years after that.

One of the more confusing contract structures I've seen, but it gives Kalil a couple years to prove himself before an inevitable restructuring in 2019 or 2020, be it a cut or extension.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

It's a bonus. So it will be spread out. That's the purpose. Why would any GM want to put a guaranteed 10M on the books for a single season? Especially next year for us. (KK, Star, Trai, Norwell, KB) all require huge raises except KK.

That would only happen with the non exercise fee. Since it's the same amount, no benefit in using that.

18 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

MUCH less of a risk than first thought. Panthers will only pay a lot if Kalil works out long term. Won't pay much if he doesn't. 

Don't know why so many fans all-the-sudden forgot Gettleman doesn't just hand out big money. He didn't work his ass off to get us out of Cap hell, just to get us back there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/matt-kalils-contract-has-a-one-year-trial-period/

Per PFT, there is an out to not have to pay the option bonus at all if he's cut between the 1st and 5th days of the 2018 league year meaning it can just be a 1 year/$13M deal which would make this a very good deal for the Panthers. $13M is still a lot for one year but that substantially reduces the risk involved and makes it worthy gamble. Should note that he has to be healthy to be cut or we owe the $7M guaranteed for injury in his 3rd year.

Other places say the $10M option bonus is guaranteed so not sure who to believe, but if true that there is an out after 1 year then I feel much, much better about the deal. We'd be able to get out of it after years 1, 3 and 4 without too big of a hit. Once he's kept for year 2 then he pretty much has to stay for year 3.

1 minute ago, Bartin said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/14/matt-kalils-contract-has-a-one-year-trial-period/

Per PFT, there is an out to not have to pay the option bonus at all if he's cut between the 1st and 5th days of the 2018 league year meaning it can just be a 1 year/$13M deal which would make this a very good deal for the Panthers. $13M is still a lot for one year but that substantially reduces the risk involved and makes it worthy gamble. Should note that he has to be healthy to be cut or we owe the $7M guaranteed for injury in his 3rd year.

Other places say the $10M option bonus is guaranteed so not sure who to believe, but if true that there is an out after 1 year then I feel much, much better about the deal. We'd be able to get out of it after years 1, 3 and 4 without too big of a hit. Once he's kept for year 2 then he pretty much has to stay for year 3.

9 minutes ago, Bartin said:

An out that will cripple our cap next year. 

Just now, Toomers said:

An out that will cripple our cap next year. 

Not really. There would be a $10.6M dead money hit in 2018 if cut, $1M of which is likely subject to offset so really just a $9.6M dead money hit. That's hardly crippling.

Just now, Bartin said:

Not really. There would be a $10.6M dead money hit in 2018 if cut, $1M of which is likely subject to offset so really just a $9.6M dead money hit. That's hardly crippling.

Really. We had 2M this year and we were tight. Which one of our UFAs do you not want to sign? And what's the price to replace Kalil? You ready to throw another 12M at a problem with 9.6 already attached. Or hope we suck enough to get a high pick and pray any decent LT falls to us. We've seen that before.

I was encouraged by some of the first reports. But there is no good way to spin this. If you're taking a one year chance, do it on someone who has a better resume.    

Archived