• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Contract Details

Bartin

I don't know exactly how the option bonus non exercise fee works, but assuming we don't get a fee and it just works as a prorated signing bonus this is a pretty highly leveraged contract.

Cap hits:

2017: $3.4M

2018: $5.9M

2019: $11.9M

2020: $14.9M

2021: $15.4M

Significant dead money charges if cut before the 2019 season.

Cap hits are napkin math and this totals to $51.5M with another $2M in total pro bowl incentives($400k/per year) and likely $1M in total workout bonuses($200k/year). Add 0.2M per year for more accurate cap hits. I don't know where the other $1M is that makes it $55.5M total.

Edited: for some clarity.

As the person who bitched the most about this signing, I will eat about 40% of the crow I said I would just because of the contract. Don't have nearly the issue with these terms. I look forward to Matt feeding me the rest in January.

Option bonuses aren't guaranteed, unless the player is on the roster. Being that his salary takes a big hike in the back end, I would assume the majority of the guaranteed money is paid in the first part of the contract. Those $10 million salaries aren't going to be guaranteed. 

Just from looking at these tweets, it looks fairly easy to get out of.

8 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I don't know exactly how the option bonus non exercise fee works, but assuming we don't get a fee and it just works as a prorated signing bonus this is a pretty highly leveraged contract.

Cap hits:

2017: $3.4M

2018: $5.9M

2019: $11.9M

2020: $14.9M

2021: $15.4M

Significant dead money charges if cut before 2020.

Gettleman is saying F it. If this deal doesn't work out I won't be here in 2020 anyway.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

MUCH less of a risk than first thought. Panthers will only pay a lot if Kalil works out long term. Won't pay much if he doesn't. 

Depends on if that Option bonus is guaranteed. If not we can probably cut bait after this year with little downside. I'm assuming it is guaranteed because I don't see how to get to $25M guaranteed without it. $12M signing + $2M salary + $10M option = $24M. Maybe they factor in the injury guarantee and the option isn't but then that puts it at $21M in guarantees.

Just now, PhillyB said:

so if we cut him after that 2019 season we only pay 5mil in dead money and save the last 25mil of his contract.

not terrible

That's how I'm understanding it. Before then it would hurt, but after 3 years it's easy to get out of.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

MUCH less of a risk than first thought. Panthers will only pay a lot if Kalil works out long term. Won't pay much if he doesn't. 

This contract makes a whole lot of sense if Carolina is looking for the future at LT in one of the next 2 drafts.  It buys them time and not have reach on a pick.  They can find and develop a guy.

Archived