• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

IT help desk question for the IT guy's here.

pstall

Happy March Madness everyone.

My job has had server issues for like 5 straight days and we can't get s resolution with the help desk.

It's just my floor and when any of us work from home we have ZERO issues.

The issue is when we go to a site or use a platform we keep getting page not displayed.  We do all the Internet settings changes but nothing.  We can hit the refesh button and maybe possibly get the site to show.

But im baffled why the help desk has taken so long on what seems like an easy fix. Or am i totally missing something?

4 hours ago, pstall said:

General 

If its intermittent, then I would lean towards the Proxy (assuming you work for a company large enough to have a proxy.  If it were a firewall, then it would likely be all or nothing.  Refreshing wouldn't help.  Or a config issue on your pc connecting to the proxy.    But that is just a guess on my part.  

If your group's computers were updated or patched recently, might want to look at that.  Usually my laptop works just fine until the patch wizards "fix" it.  

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If its intermittent, then I would lean towards the Proxy (assuming you work for a company large enough to have a proxy.  If it were a firewall, then it would likely be all or nothing.  Refreshing wouldn't help.  Or a config issue on your pc connecting to the proxy.    But that is just a guess on my part.  

If your group's computers were updated or patched recently, might want to look at that.  Usually my laptop works just fine until the patch wizards "fix" it.  

Update was awhile back. For some reason i have a hunch its bball related. Lol

They are throttling it down.

8 hours ago, pstall said:

Update was awhile back. For some reason i have a hunch its bball related. Lol

They are throttling it down.

Bandwidth restriction like you are talking about would be difficult to do.  Although if more people are trying to access streaming sites such as ESPN, then that might slow things down.  I remember seeing a study about internet usage at work and how this time of year sees some of the heaviest usage.  

First, this is not a help desk issue so don't get mad at them.   They are most likely passing the information onto whomever manages server stuff and have their hands tied as well.    This sounds like a proxy server issue to me.   Either overloaded or something else.     Like someone mentioned, it could be DNS issues/routing table as well.    Either or, your server guys (in company or cloud) should check some stuff out.    When you're at home, your VPN may be routing you through a different proxy server and/or just using your own internet connection for external browsing since you're at home.  

On Fri Mar 17 2017 at 11:15 AM, Zaximus said:

First, this is not a help desk issue so don't get mad at them.   They are most likely passing the information onto whomever manages server stuff and have their hands tied as well.    This sounds like a proxy server issue to me.   Either overloaded or something else.     Like someone mentioned, it could be DNS issues/routing table as well.    Either or, your server guys (in company or cloud) should check some stuff out.    When you're at home, your VPN may be routing you through a different proxy server and/or just using your own internet connection for external browsing since you're at home.  

I get the proxy issue but just curious as to the clog. Its the same # of people working as always.

14 hours ago, pstall said:

I get the proxy issue but just curious as to the clog. Its the same # of people working as always.

It's possible your server stuff is outsourced and when that happens, you sometimes run into issues getting the right people on at the right time, especially if they are using techs that are also, outsourced.   Hard to tell.   Painful for users though.

Archived