• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam hit more than any other QB...by far

Moorgan

I know it's obvious that he would be the most hit QB. But the extent by which he's leading this category is the shocking part.

"According to ESPN Stats and Info, Newton has taken 922 hits or sacks since 2011, the most by far among any quarterback. Seahawks' signal-caller Russell Wilson is second with 615."

Honestly, I hadn't thought much about his injuries in the past. Sure the car accident was very serious but he bounced back so fast that he made it an afterthought. But last year I started to get concerned for him...as a person.

I know every time there's an injury the board gets "shook". I remember being told that "we need answers". I'm simply saying that this is the first year since Cam was drafted that I've even thought about having a QB situation. I imagined we were set at QB for Cam's whole career...I just never thought that it might be closer than I figured.

On the bright side, if things work out, this line could be the best we've had since Gross. In which case, all of these injury concerns will be forgotten and we can finally accomplish my official prediction that I make every year...19-0.

http://car.247sports.com/Bolt/Stats-show-Cam-Newton-has-been-hit-more-than-any-NFL-QB-by-far-52054947

NFL.com has offensive line stats where you can see QB hits by team, not individual QBs. Carolina was at 93 QB hits and 36 sacks, which was 14th most hits and 13th most sacks. How accurate they are I don't know but it's at least a comparison of hits that don't include rushing attempts. 2015 they only allowed 61 hits and 33 sacks good for 30th most hits and 19th most sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

6 minutes ago, CarolinaSock said:

NFL.com has offensive line stats where you can see QB hits by team, not individual QBs. Carolina was at 93 QB hits and 36 sacks, which was 14th most hits and 13th most sacks. How accurate they are I don't know but it's at least a comparison of hits that don't include rushing attempts. 2015 they only allowed 61 hits and 33 sacks good for 30th most hits and 19th most sacks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2016&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Yeah. That's a much better way to look at it as it relates to the oline. Other than that, he's usually your power runner, so he's going to get hit.

2 minutes ago, CarolinaSock said:

Something to point out about that number, Wilson didn't start playing until 2012. So I imagine the gap wouldn't be nearly as massive if he'd actually played as many years as Cam.

Yeah I wondered about that from the article but that also means RW being second is concerning for them. But either way, it's about our scheme combined with the oline.

Your numbers make our oline look average which isn't terrible but combined with how often we tell Cam to run or he decides to run and the danger gets amped up. Basically I'm hoping that the evolution isn't too late. I don't think it is and I think this year will be a success.

Either way you shake it, if you're completely taking off the homer shades, the Panthers org has been at times flat out abysmal at protecting their investment.

Newton burst onto the scene as a rookie with Gross at LT.

Since then, Byron Bell, Nate Chandler, Mike Remmers, Amini Silatolu, even Sione f*cking Fua have been protecting him throughout what should have been some of his best years as a pro.

Now here we are wondering how it got to this point. Gee, lemme think...

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Either way you shake it, if you're completely taking off the homer shades, the Panthers org has been at times flat out abysmal at protecting their investment.

Since then, Byron Bell, Nate Chandler, Mike Remmers, Amini Silatolu, even Sione f*cking Fua have been protecting him throughout what should have been some of his best years as a pro.

Call it cognitive dissonance or homer glasses or whatever, but until this season I just convinced myself that he was invincible. You're right that this has been an issue since Gross left. To be fair though, Oher was brought in and that worked for pass protection that first year. The injuries last year were crippling...but many have pointed out throughout the years that our run scheme and our pass scheme leaves Newton vulnerable. It's just that this is the first year I'm giving it serious thought.

25 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Did you not just see the facts posted about QB hits without rushing attempts? It isn't that bad especially considering he's a mobile QB. You keep flaming this oline issue left and right, I get you're a newer fan because of Cam you need to learn to take he Cam homer glasses off and see the real problem with this FO and Cam.

The real problem is, as clearly laid out in this post, and looking at Cams entire career not just a season or game or injury, is the amount of rushing he does and they WAY this FO uses Cam.

They can protect Cam 10x more by adjusting the playcalling rather than fixing the oline. The real problem has yet to be fixed or really even addressed (unless you belive but they're evolving the offense) but they have been trying to fix the online though poor attempts, they can't fix injury.

What is the more valid argument that your minuscule argument of the oline, is the playcalling and coaching. They baby Cam to his strengths which is finally catching up as it inevitably would with age. Stop the babying and the bullshit, tell and teach cam to pass and be more accurate, make quicker defense reading, call passing plays to support him becoming a passer of all types not just long bombs. Let the RB take the hits, screens etc. Ask him to do these things, throw him out there and let him sink or swim. It will be better for everyone.

Every chance you get you bitch about the Oline which is a small argument compared to the real issue. Take out rushing hits and it's not so bad for a mobile QB. The real problem should be clear to everyone by now (except Shula).

10 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Did you not just see the facts posted about QB hits without rushing attempts? It isn't that bad especially considering he's a mobile QB. You keep flaming this oline issue left and right, I get you're a newer fan because of Cam you need to learn to take he Cam homer glasses off and see the real problem with this FO and Cam.

The real problem is, as clearly laid out in this post, and looking at Cams entire career not just a season or game or injury, is the amount of rushing he does and they WAY this FO uses Cam.

They can protect Cam 10x more by adjusting the playcalling rather than fixing the oline. The real problem has yet to be fixed or really even addressed (unless you belive but they're evolving the offense) but they have been trying to fix the online though poor attempts, they can't fix injury.

What is the more valid argument that your minuscule argument of the oline, is the playcalling and coaching. They baby Cam to his strengths which is finally catching up as it inevitably would with age. Stop the babying and the bullshit, tell and teach cam to pass and be more accurate, make quicker defense reading, call passing plays to support him becoming a passer of all types not just long bombs. Let the RB take the hits, screens etc. Ask him to do these things, throw him out there and let him sink or swim. It will be better for everyone.

Every chance you get you bitch about the Oline which is a small argument compared to the real issue. Take out rushing hits and it's not so bad for a mobile QB. The real problem should be clear to everyone by now (except Shula).

Are you a grown man, or a ten year old? 

The whole "Cam fan" thing is about 5 years too late bud. I've been here through it all.

Anyway. Nobody including myself has argued our play calling is impeccable. Been round and round about Shula. Newton has thrived in the hurry up, and those quick bullet passes to Olsen are a thing of beauty. But if you are going to downplay our struggles at developing talent at the tackle position for the last several years, I cannot take much you say seriously. That's a key cog in the machine there bud. It begins, and ends with the OL no matter how cute you get with the calls.

Newton had made this offense look dominant with cast offs from other franchises. We went to the Super Bowl with Ted Ginn Jr as our #1 WR. What ultimately cost us that Lombardi Trophy again? It couldn't have been our offensive line looking like swiss cheese could it?

OL, OL, OL, OL. I'll keep saying it. You don't like it, too bad.

Archived