• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading up for Fournette?

AU-panther

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You're the one that brought up "winning" the trade. The other party's incompetency is highly relevant in that equation.

Would the Falcons have had three consecutive losing seasons if they didn't expend so much draft capital to acquire Julio? No one can say for sure, all we know is that the Falcons got an elite WR but they also gave up the opportunity to acquire several other key pieces in order to get that WR.

Either way, they blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

and there is no way that the Falcons could've even made  it to the Superbowl last year without Julio Jones.without him that's just a very good team last year but not an elite one

once again the trade was a smart move  because it allowed the Falcons to acquire a game changer 

moreover,they might have not won the Superbowl because the defense blew a 25 point lead.but Matt Ryan won the MVP thanks in large part to Julio Jones

Would you sacrifice two more losing seasons to get one elite player?

I wouldn't. Neither would Ron and Dave because they'd get fired in the meantime.

Hell, if they'd used that bevy of picks more wisely, maybe they'd have a Lombardi instead of being the punchline of the "blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl" joke.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't. Neither would Ron and Dave because they'd get fired in the meantime.

Hell, if they'd used that bevy of picks more wisely, maybe they'd have a Lombardi instead of being the punchline of the "blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl" joke.

Julio Jones had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Falcons blowing a 25 point lead.

unless you honestly think that those picks that they traded to Cleveland for Julio  are the reason for all of their misfortunes

You're the one that brought up "winning" the trade. The other party's incompetency is highly relevant in that equation.
Would the Falcons have had three consecutive losing seasons if they didn't expend so much draft capital to acquire Julio? No one can say for sure, all we know is that the Falcons got an elite WR but they also gave up the opportunity to acquire several other key pieces in order to get that WR.
Either way, they blew a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

I don't think they had 3 losing seasons in a row but I understand your point. We should have traded up in the draft we got kb for Evans or Odell. Besides that we really didn't need to trade up, unless it was for a tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

5 minutes ago, bandu said:

Julio Jones had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Falcons blowing a 25 point lead.

unless you honestly think that those picks that they traded to Cleveland for Julio  are the reason for all of their misfortunes

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes, Julio is a GREAT WR. No one is arguing against that. My point is that they traded away a ton of assets in the way of draft capital to acquire him. That was draft capital that could've made for a more well rounded roster.

2 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I don't think they had 3 losing seasons in a row but I understand your point. We should have traded up in the draft we got kb for Evans or Odell. Besides that we really didn't need to trade up, unless it was for a tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Fug OBJ. Great player, but I'm glad he's not a Panther.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Yes, Julio is a GREAT WR. No one is arguing against that. My point is that they traded away a ton of assets in the way of draft capital to acquire him. That was draft capital that could've made for a more well rounded roster.

i completely understand your ideology that quanity is greater than quality

but it can work both ways and don't be shocked whenever Gettleman trades up for Fournette.

If we make a trade like the Falcons made for Julio for Fournette, then Dave is putting his career on Fournette's back. We'll need an entirely new DE corps very soon. I don't see Dave blowing that much draft capital on a RB when he loves his pass rushers and we have the AARP crew at DE right now.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If we make a trade like the Falcons made for Julio for Fournette, then Dave is putting his career on Fournette's back. We'll need an entirely new DE corps very soon. I don't see Dave blowing that much draft capital on a RB when he loves his pass rushers and we have the AARP crew at DE right now.

Gettleman has drafted 5 players 3 times and 6 once.and trading up is nothing new for him nor would it be as of any shock to the orginization.

the Julio and Fournette trade should have verry little in common since the Falcons moved up from the 27th pick to 6th.the Panthers on the other hand are at #8 and looking at trading up to either #2 or #3 for Fournette.

also, take a look at where one of our youngest DE by the name of Kony Ealy is now,in New England and what about our other second rounders carrers and the role they play or impact that they have on this teams record or future?out of Gettlemans second round draft picks besides KK what other second rounder is their on this roster or anyone elses that would  put us in a position to compete for the Lomardi?

we have all 7 of our picks and even an extra second rounder this year,a QB who was the former MVP,a team that was in the Superbowl and went 15-1 the year before last with Ealy as our starting DE and this offseason was replaced by no other than Julius Peppers  and on top of all that this is  the best group of FA we've had in the Gettleman era.

so,i just can't understand for the life of me why anyone should or would  be fired because they decided to pair a quality sure fire game changer to this roster for some of those second rounders?

9 minutes ago, bandu said:

Gettleman has drafted 5 players 3 times and 6 once.and trading up is nothing new for him nor would it be as of any shock to the orginization.

the Julio and Fournette trade should have verry little in common since the Falcons moved up from the 27th pick to 6th.the Panthers on the other hand are at #8 and looking at trading up to either #2 or #3 for Fournette.

also, take a look at where one of our youngest DE by the name of Kony Ealy is now,in New England and what about our other second rounders carrers and the role they play or impact that they have on this teams record or future?out of Gettlemans second round draft picks besides KK what other second rounder is their on this roster or anyone elses that would  put us in a position to compete for the Lomardi?

we have all 7 of our picks and even an extra second rounder this year,a QB who was the former MVP,a team that was in the Superbowl and went 15-1 the year before last with Ealy as our starting DE and this offseason was replaced by no other than Julius Peppers in the offseason and on top of all that this is  the best group of FA we've had in the Gettleman era.

so,i just can't understand for the life of me why anyone should or would  be fired because they decided to pair a quality sure fire game changer to this roster for some of those second rounders?

Look at that the recent market has been when trying to trade up to the top of the draft. It isn't just going to be a 2nd rounder or two. Next year's 1st would have to be involved. The Eagles just reset that market trading up to get Wentz and it was a king's ransom.

As far as other 2nd rounders, James Bradberry looks really damn good so far.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nope. 

Especially not when some of our key players (TD, Greg, Ryan Kalil, Peppers, CJ, Stew) are all on the wrong side of 30.  Whether or not DG believes in windows, we're in one now.  Our aggression and spending in free agency suggests to me that whatever DG may say, he believes this is an opportunity to win NOW. 

We're not lacking 1 elite player.  Rather we are weak on depth in a number of areas.   DE, OT, S, WR, RB, TE.

I'm expecting us to draft players for AT LEAST five of these 6 positions.  I'm ok if we try to package some of our picks to get back into the late 1st, or, to move up in the 2nd or 3rd.  But I'd like to see us draft a total of no less than 5 players with our 8 picks.  Preferably 6 or 7.  We need some youth & competition in several areas.

Yeah, I don't think we're making 8 picks in this draft. I think we'll trade up at some point, I just don't expect to trade up from #8. Not into the top 3 at least. Now if we thought we needed to jump up a spot or two to secure our guy? Yeah, I could see that, but jumping up into the top 3 would just be too costly.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Look at that the recent market has been when trying to trade up to the top of the draft. It isn't just going to be a 2nd rounder or two. Next year's 1st would have to be involved. The Eagles just reset that market trading up to get Wentz and it was a king's ransom.

As far as other 2nd rounders, James Bradberry looks really damn good so far.

yeah most definetly Bradberry was one of tbe bright spots from last seasons draft

i also agree with you about the Eagles setting the standard for this trade.that 1st next year will be in the 30s or at least thats what Dave believes or he wouldn't make the trade.and this year,he has wiggle room with that extra second 

simply put Gettleman will go all in and trade up for Fournette because he believes the Panthers can win it all.

but either or thanks for your insight and opinion...go Panthers!

Archived