• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

this is a thread where i compile news articles to normalize the idea that other teams besides the panthers also have conflicts between players and front office executives

frash.exe

spoiler: they didn't get a deal done by thursday

http://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2017/07/24/falcons-gm-thomas-dimitroff-wants-devonta-freeman-deal-done-by-thursday/

The Atlanta Falcons open their 2017 training camp on Thursday, and the front office is hoping to have some important business done by then.

While there aren’t any major contract disputes or threats of a holdout, the one major business item left settle is a long-term contract extension for running back Devonta Freeman.

Freeman is set to make just $1.8 million in the final year of his rookie contract, which would make him perhaps the biggest bargain at his position in the NFL.

Atlanta knows Freeman has out-played his current contract, and they’re planning to reward him handsomely.

i'm running out of witty descriptors for these articles but it's like gah can't you execs just throw a blank check at these players already? if all the teams fired their executives then this wouldn't be a problem anymore...

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/06/golden_tate_wants_a_contract_e.html

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions have opened contract negotiations with Matthew Stafford. There's been some dialogue with Ezekiel Ansah too, and Glover Quin has expressed his interest in an extension. 

Now Golden Tate says he wants a new deal as well.

At $6.2 million per year, Tate is the league's 26th-highest paid receiver. But he's produced at a level that has far outstripped that, including catching at least 90 passes in three straight seasons. Not even Calvin Johnson did that.

41 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Panthers player who is a fan favorite is abruptly released by Gettleman:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk9UsF0fqeQaweISY7Cmu

"Ha, get over it ya crying babies, it's a business, you gotta be cutthroat sometimes!"

Later on...

Gettleman is abrubtly fired: 

Rage.jpg

desk-flip.png

e39.png

Ha!

Yep

pie and comment "share" if you agree that this article accurately states the business environment of the nfl (except for fairy tale carolina where you get to eat your own weight in pizza rolls and then become the highest paid player at your position)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2017/07/30/training-camps-rams-aaron-donald-trumaine-johnson/524081001/

A sampling: “Hey, 22! You don’t deserve that contract!”

Johnson, No. 22, is playing under the franchise tag for the second year in a row, which will pay $16.742 million this season and earns him the distinction of having the highest “average salary” of any NFL cornerback. Of course, Johnson was hoping to land a long-term deal from the Rams, maybe like something in the neighborhood of the five-year, $75 million deal that Josh Norman inked last year with Washington. But talks for that stalled, and the long-term contract deadline passed.

When it comes to contracts and NFL risks, it behooves players to work the market and strike while they are hot. Teams habitually cut players with years and millions in non-guaranteed money left on their contracts. Add the inherent risks of playing the brutal sport – which can include an instant career-ending injury and long-term effects of head injuries – and these money matters can be so “delicate,” to use the word that Rams general manager Les Snead did in discussing the talks with Donald.

HEY VSAUCE! michael here... matthew stafford negotiating with detroit... dot com, is a website where you can check if an extension has successfully been brokered between matt stafford and the detroit lions. but...what does it mean to be...detroit? here's a DONG that you can read. and as always, thanks for watching.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5132/matthew-stafford

Pelissero adds the two sides are "actively talking," but they do not appear to be making much progress. Despite entering the final year of his deal, Stafford has said there is "no timetable" for getting something done. This situation could drag on much longer than anyone expected in the spring.

6 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

difference being the other front offices didnt fire a successful GM for not kissing the players asses at every turn.

i worry this is the equivalent of the 49ers firing Harbaugh. all we need now is key players retiring after this season and the championship window slams shut.

I would have to think that there could be a balance had between kissing ass, and not unnecessariIy nuking bridges consistently, no?

Just now, TheRed said:

I would have to think there could be a balance had between kissing ass and not unnecessarIy nuking bridges consistently, no?

consistently? the norman decision was the only questionable one. Dwill was checked out, Tolbert sucks, Gross retired rather than restructure, Smitty allegedly punched Cam... not really seeing a pattern of unjustified moves.

15 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

consistently? the norman decision was the only questionable one. Dwill was checked out, Tolbert sucks, Gross retired rather than restructure, Smitty allegedly punched Cam... not really seeing a pattern of unjustified moves.

I think the Norman thing was kind of the tipping point where tensions that had been building finally boiled over so to speak.

From my perspective, I think JR is what ails this franchise. Sucks, but it's the reality.

With regard to Gettleman, I had definite issues with his handling of the OL throughout the last several years, but for the most part I liked his drafts and was fine with him, until the 2016 offseason, he blew it, there's no mincing words, we did nothing for the OL and did nothing to adequately fill the voids. Regardless, firing him was undoubtedly stupid, if for at the very least the timing of it all.

I think you can appreciate what Gettleman brought to the franchise while acknowledging that his interpersonal skills were pretty damn flawed, and it clearly took a toll after a few years. I don't think it should have gotten him fired, but I don't know how bad it was, no one here does. Regardless, to act as if he was blameless in this is being really disingenious to yourself.

32 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I think the Norman thing was kind of the tipping point where tensions that had been building finally boiled over so to speak.

From my perspective, I think JR is what ails this franchise. Sucks, but it's the reality.

With regard to Gettleman, I had definite issues with his handling of the OL throughout the last several years, but for the most part I liked his drafts and was fine with him, until the 2016 offseason, he blew it, there's no mincing words, we did nothing for the OL and did nothing to adequately fill the voids. Regardless, firing him was undoubtedly stupid, if for at the very least the timing of it all.

I think you can appreciate what Gettleman brought to the franchise while acknowledging that his interpersonal skills were pretty damn flawed, and it clearly took a toll after a few years. I don't think it should have gotten him fired, but I don't know how bad it was, no one here does. Regardless, to act as if he was blameless in this is being really disingenious to yourself.

He's certainly not blameless, and neither was Harbaugh when he got fired from SF. My point was to compare the two. I think if JR was serious about winning he'd be okay with a little friction between the front office and the players in exchange for the results GMan has gotten so far in Carolina.

I agree that the OL was not handled well but I think it was also to do with some of the weakest OL classes that have come out in recent years and not just mismanagement. Also don't help when after your first year on the job 2/5 of your OL retires (plus your backup RT) all before turning 34.

Archived