• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Trek: Discovery

d-dave

So caught the first couple of episodes (CBS All Access), and I've got to say it's not bad.

Cool premise.  I actually enjoy the JJ Abrams style with lens flares and extremely melodramatic lighting.  The first episode has a wonderful starting point.

I am very cautiously optimistic about how the show moves from here.  There seems to be a lot of cool story possibilities.

16 hours ago, Moorgan said:

Do you have to use the subscription service to watch this show? Not sure it's worth the $6/mo with so many options out there.

That's up to you.  I'm not happy that it's locked behind cbs all access.  That's dumb.  I have a friend and we trade a few of these password services between us.  That worked for me.

Hopefully it goes to streaming once the season is over.  It had a really good start.  CBS lavished the production in cash, the visuals are fantastic.  The design is so cool.  Technically, a really awesome show.  Story wise, I'm super interested.  This could be a really cool new Star Trek story to tell that has a chance to resonate with the average 21st century citizen.  

Let The Orville take the more episodic approach, thus far that's working for me.

Well, just finished the 3rd episode....  Holy poop!  Very different from the idealized star treks of the past.  I love the Abram's visual language for this Star Trek universe.  This episode really got to the meat of this story: a mystery.  Many flawed characters trying to win the war for the sake of the Federation.  

Super cool!  The Captain, Lorkin, is scary...  I really like how they encapsulate the idea that heroes are made in stories, but the actual men and women are much more nuanced.

I finally managed to catch all three episodes. The first two gave me great pause and the third was not making things better. Yet the final act provided enough that I want to continue watching. Just a few points I'll make:

- Similar to the 2009 Star Trek, I liked the first ship I saw on screen more than the actual story ship. USS Shenzhou wasn't exactly pretty but it's a runway model compared to the Discovery. 

- I'm in the minority but why must everything must be drab colors? It's one of the few times I'm willing to sacrifice realism for good aesthetics.

- Lorca is a rather fascinating character. He's kinda like how I see Janeway, one with rather questionable ethics. 

- Saru is easily my favorite of the cast so far. His interactions with Michael in Episode 3 displayed the depths of their relationship. 

- I find Michael somewhat insufferable and yet, those around her are generally even worse. They blame her for the war but for what, exactly? That first Klingon she killed was in self-defense. Her mutiny made no impact since the Shenzou never fired; the Klingons fired first. Her biggest mistake was killing T'Kuvma but even then, her own captain initially was going to kill him before Michael convinced her otherwise. The only way any of it makes sense is that the writers intentionally are making Michael the convenient scapegoat for everyone who want an explanation for the war.

- The intro sequence... I would still rather have something more space-oriented. The theme works well enough although I like the credits rendition more. 

so far, My biggest problem is Star Trek has always showed the future as a positive for all of us, since Gene died, it has needed to be dark and bleak, which tbh, haven't we have enough of that in reality?

In this The Orville has carried on, but it's still bad. 

6 hours ago, Jangler said:

so far, My biggest problem is Star Trek has always showed the future as a positive for all of us, since Gene died, it has needed to be dark and bleak, which tbh, haven't we have enough of that in reality?

It worked a lot better in DS9 since the Dominion War wasn't until the 3rd/4th season. Even then, you had enough breathers in there that it wasn't suffocating the show as a whole. 

The dark and bleak theme is something that's pervasive in media nowadays.That's what sells and no one is willing to take the risk of creating something that doesn't fit that mold, even Star Trek. Then again, it's possible Discovery starts out like it has only to show us how we reach that more optimistic future. At least, that's my hope.

This show is way better than I thought it would be.   I think Michael is a good character, and we have to not forget that she was raised on Vulcan so she's different.    I thought episode 4 definitely felt like Star Trek, more than Trek has in a long time.    You can really tell this is pre-TOS because starfleet morals and whatnot aren't completely there like they are later on.     The only complaint I have on this show is the Klingons, still look kind of weird to me, but their suits and stuff are sweet.     So far, color me surprised at how much I enjoy it.

Episode 4 has come and gone. General thoughts:

- I've heard some grumblings that Michael is reminding them of early TNG Wesley Crusher. While I can't necessarily agree to that, I do feel her bio is something I'd expect out of someone's bad fan fiction. To me, the issue is that the show is trying to focus its attention on her but unlike Spock, doesn't have a Kirk or McCoy to balance out her character right now. 

- Related to the first point, who are the crew of the Discovery? Other Treks have tried to give their main characters some screentime to at least get a basic idea of who they are. You tell me everyone on the Discovery's bridge right now because I can't. This needs to be rectified soon because it's hard to care for what my mind perceives as redshirts.

- Speaking of redshirts, Commander Landry, we hardly knew thee. Well, except for being such an insufferable character in her brief time on the show that I cheered when her utter stupidity got her killed. On the flip side, she would've been a more interesting character to flip over because Stamets might be the one in that role and he's a bit dull for me (although he has two funny moments in this episode).

- The Spore Drive is... interesting. My gut feeling is that it's something that won't be used much longer, though.

- To paraphrase alternate universe Picard, "Children on Corvan 2? People, we're at war!" I did find that situation a little overplayed but I generally enjoyed the sequence and the music. Oh, and for a supposed science vessel, the Discovery is no Grissom. 

- Every Klingon scene is hard to watch. The pacing is too slow and all that makeup is a hindrance to the performance. 

Archived