• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi

twylyght

choreographer: this guard has two knives. the way they are holding that knife would mean that they could stab rey easily

rian johnson: eh we’ll cgi one of them out halfway through the maneuver 

cgi artist: edited out the knife boss. what will we do about the fist that is clearly supposed to be holding something that isn’t?

rian johnson: eh we’ll just leave it in. no one will notice it

end result:

1AF69AA0-FA2C-4203-A3DF-DC728B182B5B.gif.37c2e61097b991fe5f97255890b4079e.gif

I liked what they did with Rey and Kylo. But Luke was not given justice and Rose’s character was completely useless and was forced in for diversity sake. Which I thought was equally insulting to the story and the actual need for diversity in the industry.

On 4/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, CarolinaCoolin said:

choreographer: this guard has two knives. the way they are holding that knife would mean that they could stab rey easily

rian johnson: eh we’ll cgi one of them out halfway through the maneuver 

cgi artist: edited out the knife boss. what will we do about the fist that is clearly supposed to be holding something that isn’t?

rian johnson: eh we’ll just leave it in. no one will notice it

end result:

1AF69AA0-FA2C-4203-A3DF-DC728B182B5B.gif.37c2e61097b991fe5f97255890b4079e.gif

rewrite E VIIIb Rey dies. 

no need for IX.

A Star Wars Story: Young Jaba

I enjoyed the opening sequence of TLJ a lot, and the final showdown was pretty good too. The lightsaber battle was right up there with the Ep I one; not as character intense, but beautifully executed. But the more I see it the more things bug me about it; kind of the opposite of TFA for me. I completely understand Disneys motives for giving Johnson another trilogy though; everything has to evolve or die including Star Wars. 

Opening the movie with Poes "I'm on hold" gag was a terrible decision, it takes you out of the menace and the world as soon as the opening sequence is done and reminds you that you still haven't called the bank about that missing payment. I don't know if they could have given less for Leia to do; although i am agreeing with the idea that the third movie would have been more hers. As time goes on, I am more disappointed with the decision to keep Luke effectively neutered - his appearance at the end of the movie was really cool the first time I saw it, but once the revelation is gone, its just like he already died and became a Force ghost or something. It's hard to show a sacrifice like that in a movie. I wanted to see Luke out for justice at least once. I think some dialog with Luke expressing angst about Hans death would have helped his justifications for his actions to the audience a lot more than the he said he said Ben/Luke fight.

Rey is a wonderful character, and Ben Solo has grown into the villain we needed. I don't care about Snoke or where he came from, I don't care about Reys parents. I like the dynamic between Rey and Ben, obviously that was the only character arc Rian Johnson cared a lot about in this movie.

3 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

I enjoyed the opening sequence of TLJ a lot, and the final showdown was pretty good too. The lightsaber battle was right up there with the Ep I one; not as character intense, but beautifully executed. But the more I see it the more things bug me about it; kind of the opposite of TFA for me. I completely understand Disneys motives for giving Johnson another trilogy though; everything has to evolve or die including Star Wars. 

Opening the movie with Poes "I'm on hold" gag was a terrible decision, it takes you out of the menace and the world as soon as the opening sequence is done and reminds you that you still haven't called the bank about that missing payment. I don't know if they could have given less for Leia to do; although i am agreeing with the idea that the third movie would have been more hers. As time goes on, I am more disappointed with the decision to keep Luke effectively neutered - his appearance at the end of the movie was really cool the first time I saw it, but once the revelation is gone, its just like he already died and became a Force ghost or something. It's hard to show a sacrifice like that in a movie. I wanted to see Luke out for justice at least once. I think some dialog with Luke expressing angst about Hans death would have helped his justifications for his actions to the audience a lot more than the he said he said Ben/Luke fight.

Rey is a wonderful character, and Ben Solo has grown into the villain we needed. I don't care about Snoke or where he came from, I don't care about Reys parents. I like the dynamic between Rey and Ben, obviously that was the only character arc Rian Johnson cared a lot about in this movie.

I think like some others have said, they're trying to usher out the old guard, unceremoniously at times. They're aging out, and literally dying between movies, so I'm sure they see it as justified. I would love to see Luke have one final saber battle, but I also like it when old people play old people. If you think about it, Luke pulled a more melodramatic version of Obi-Wan's sacrifice. Obi-Wan didn't go out with a bad ass fight scene either. We had to wait a decade to see it in a prequel. 

If you need to usher out the old guard that’s fine. But know who you are dealing with. You are dealing with Star Wars fans. Some of the most die hard fanboys in pop culture. What did you think was going to happen by shitting on characters people regard so highly and mean so much to them? You can expand on a universe and take it away from skywalkers but the way TLJ did it was piss poor at best. Shitting on original characters and replacing them with poorly written characters with no backstory and having the worst plot in all of Star Wars was not the way to do it.

i won’t be seeing Johnson’s new triology 

Luke had always been hyped as the greatest Jedi of all time so to watch him go out like that was weak. The force projection was great but he didn't have to die.

He was due at least one amazing light saber duel. I do wonder if that will be retcon'd in future movies. Maybe Luke will be powerful enough as a ghost to appear in actual physical form in certain moments.

17 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Luke had always been hyped as the greatest Jedi of all time so to watch him go out like that was weak. The force projection was great but he didn't have to die.

He was due at least one amazing light saber duel. I do wonder if that will be retcon'd in future movies. Maybe Luke will be powerful enough as a ghost to appear in actual physical form in certain moments.

projected out of R2-D2

I think I'm in the minority of still loving this movie and apprecating the direction Rian Johnson and Disney took 

Some people wanted a reboot of episodes of 4-6 with Rey being Luke, Kylo being Darth, Snoke being Palpatine, Poe being Han and Luke being Yoda. 

I respect them for going in a completely new direction, and I think we need to wait to see the final movie before we fully judge it. But we live in a culture where everything has to be judged instantly. 

Also lol to people ragging on the humor in Star Wars, go rewatch episodes 4-6  Star Wars has always been cheesy. 

1 hour ago, SOJA said:

I think I'm in the minority of still loving this movie and apprecating the direction Rian Johnson and Disney took 

Some people wanted a reboot of episodes of 4-6 with Rey being Luke, Kylo being Darth, Snoke being Palpatine, Poe being Han and Luke being Yoda. 

I respect them for going in a completely new direction, and I think we need to wait to see the final movie before we fully judge it. But we live in a culture where everything has to be judged instantly. 

Also lol to people ragging on the humor in Star Wars, go rewatch episodes 4-6  Star Wars has always been cheesy. 

There are hundreds of great old Star Wars EU stories that don’t involve the skywalkers. They didn’t choose to draw from that. Instead they gave us poor written characters and a bad plot. 

The idea of trying to bring a new new set of Star Wars characters in the universe is Nobel and should be explored but the execution Johnson had with TLJ was absolutely garbage. IMHO 

8 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

There are hundreds of great old Star Wars EU stories that don’t involve the skywalkers. They didn’t choose to draw from that. Instead they gave us poor written characters and a bad plot. 

The idea of trying to bring a new new set of Star Wars characters in the universe is Nobel and should be explored but the execution Johnson had with TLJ was absolutely garbage. IMHO 

I can definitely respect the flaws the movie had and can see why people didn't like it. I just personally enjoyed it. 

Archived