• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera "Honorable Mention Coach of the Year"

PantherNation123

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

I will give you Shula. But...Shula runs a Rivera Offense. Not sure what the answer is. Even if we somehow got rid of Shula. What kind of OC would Rivera hire? Better the devil you know.

I would also like to add. We are winning. Is it really in Rivera's best interest to change OCs now?

No not now, but he should have this past offseason and instead stood by him.  

I know folks are frustrated. But let me throw a few things out. I have seen no mention of the numerous times we went no huddle against atl. Is that not an adjustment?

We are getting better with the TOs when calling plays. It seems to be less and less lately. Is it a trend, or just an anomaly? 

What is it with the "He punted on the 35" thing? Gano was dealing with a sore leg. Shouldn't that be in the consideration for when to kick a FG or not?

Not everything is cut and dried. And it seems like lots of things get glossed over. Rivera is a winning coach, who makes mistakes. 

4 minutes ago, Snake said:

Lol it's that moment when you realize people have no idea how bad a head coach Rivera really is. Just last game he was going to kick a field goal had Newton not flipped and he stopped Shula and actually good play calling to revert back into a shell with a 10 point lead. 

But we didn't kick the FG. Did we? You cannot hold against him for what didn't happen. I mean, you can't. Can you?

Also, that was not the first time in NFL history, where a coach got over ruled by his QB. 

5 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

No not now, but he should have this past offseason and instead stood by him.  

Coming off 15-1, where we led the league in Offense, you cannot make a change. Then last year happened. Maybe that was the time. Most would say yessirreedeedeedy. Now, once again, it is too late.

I too would love to see and inovative OC for Cam. But then again. Shula is roundly lauded for his play designs and calls.

Not sure what the answer will be. But we can hope.

5 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I know folks are frustrated. But let me throw a few things out. I have seen no mention of the numerous times we went no huddle against atl. Is that not an adjustment?

We are getting better with the TOs when calling plays. It seems to be less and less lately. Is it a trend, or just an anomaly? 

What is it with the "He punted on the 35" thing? Gano was dealing with a sore leg. Shouldn't that be in the consideration for when to kick a FG or not?

Not everything is cut and dried. And it seems like lots of things get glossed over. Rivera is a winning coach, who makes mistakes. 

Punting from the 35 had absolutely nothing to do with Gano dealing with a sore leg... so you can drop that excuse

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article175267116.html

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Was anything I said wrong? 

So...because I stated facts that back Rivera. I am not only a lackey, but delusional? 

Has it gotten to the point where facts are now inadmissible?

Rivera is not only extremely poor at clock management during critical situations but he is a poor talent evaluator - both players and coaches.  Without Cam to bail him and Shula out of their multitude of offensive fuc k ups we would have a very poor team instead of only a mediocre one.

2 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

Punting from the 35 had absolutely nothing to do with Gano dealing with a sore leg... so you can drop that excuse

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article175267116.html

Well dang. I wonder where I got that idea? I have been under the impression that Gano had been dealing with leg issues at that time. In that case. Yupperz, you gotta go for that one. 

3 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Well dang. I wonder where I got that idea? I have been under the impression that Gano had been dealing with leg issues at that time. In that case. Yupperz, you gotta go for that one. 

No you are correct about the sore leg.  That was just a couple of games later...  I'm also on board with you about liking Rivera as a whole.  He just makes glaring mistakes with on field decisions sometimes, and he hasn't really learned from them it seems.

4 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Rivera is not only extremely poor at clock management during critical situations but he is a poor talent evaluator - both players and coaches.  Without Cam to bail him and Shula out of their multitude of offensive fuc k ups we would have a very poor team instead of only a mediocre one.

Ok, let's try this. How many times have you been watching a game. And the announcers say. "Well, that was poor time management"? So no, Rivera is not the only one who has this problem. 

Poor talent evaluator? He can only coach who he has. He can only put players on the field, after seeing them in practice. None of us are at practice. None of us are at the coaches meetings. Just because he, and most coaches for that matter, distrust rookies?

Again, Rivera is not perfect. But man, if you nitpick everything he does. You are going to find things. Which will probably be true for every coach that has ever coached. This is a results driven league. And Rivera has the results.

4 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

No you are correct about the sore leg.  That was just a couple of games later...  I'm also on board with you about liking Rivera as a whole.  He just makes glaring mistakes with on field decisions sometimes, and he hasn't really learned from them it seems.

Now see. To me, that is the problem most fans have. They forget how he looked his first few years. Where he spent a lot of time trying to get input from other coaches, trying to evolve his game.

This Rivera is much better than that Rivera. Isn't he?

6 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I remember gano hitting a long one in warmups after halftime and looked back at RR

Yup, I remember that. Wish I would have seen that. Also, wish I knew how Rivera responded to that. I mean, he was going to kick a 52 yarder against atl. So maybe Gano changed Rivera's thinking?

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Ok, let's try this. How many times have you been watching a game. And the announcers say. "Well, that was poor time management"? So no, Rivera is not the only one who has this problem. 

Poor talent evaluator? He can only coach who he has. He can only put players on the field, after seeing them in practice. None of us are at practice. None of us are at the coaches meetings. Just because he, and most coaches for that matter, distrust rookies?

Again, Rivera is not perfect. But man, if you nitpick everything he does. You are going to find things. Which will probably be true for every coach that has ever coached. This is a results driven league. And Rivera has the results.

Agree.

I believe some huddlers are obsessed with firing Rivera

He does stay with vets too long, he's too loyal to his coaches and can be too conservative.

But, all in all, he has produced.

24 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

SO MUCH THIS.

Archived