• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera "Honorable Mention Coach of the Year"

PantherNation123

6 hours ago, EgoDogg said:

Fixed the link in the original post. Thanks for the heads up.

And I completely agree. But I think it's normal for fanbases. Most message boards are the same. Coaches that are praised here will be ripped apart at their own message board. I don't get it. i do question some decisions Rivera makes, but I'm not sure there are many I would take over him. Bolded below are the only coaches I would put on par or above Rivera. There aren't many.

Ron Rivera
Mike McCarthy
- Possibly the first coach I would consider over Rivera on this list
Andy Reid - Another underrated coach, also with clock management issues. Gets the most out of his team.
Pete Carroll - Great coach, I can't stand the guy, but I can't deny he's a good coach.
Bill Belichick - GOAT -- but fug him.

Bruce Arians - Always applauded. I really liked him. Not sure if I would take him over Rivera though 
Dan Quinn - Too early, super bowl hangover, but I like Rivera over Quinn.
John Harbaugh - Not a fan of the playstyle he encourages
Sean McDermott - Too early to tell, off to a hell of a start
John Fox - HA
Marvin Lewis - HAA
Hue Jackson - Browns
Jason Garrett - .561 overall record with the talent he's had & only 2 playoff berths in 7 years.
Vance Joseph - Too early
Jim Caldwell - Underrated in my opinion, I'd take Rivera over him easily, though.
Bill O'Brien - Nope
Chuck Pagano - HA
Doug Marrone - Respect what he's doing with the Jags. Too early to tell
Anthony Lynn - Too new
Adam Gase - Nope
Mike Zimmer - Good, but over Rivera?
Sean McVay - Way too early to say, but color me impressed
Sean Payton - fug Him
Ben McAdoo - HAAA
Todd Bowles - Nope
Jack Del Rio - I like him, but wouldn't take him over Rivera.
Doug Pederson - Off to a hell of year 2. Too early
Mike Tomlin - Living in PA, I get to hear about the hatred for Tomlin DAILY. So nope.
Kyle Shanahan - HA
Dirk Koetter - HA
Mike Mularkey - Nope
Jay Gruden - Nope

Wow, seriously Mike McCarthy?  How many times has Aaron Rogers bailed him out?  In my opinion he's one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL to have a Super Bowl ring.  I would take Ron Rivera in a heartbeat over McCarthy.    

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry guys. I can't join in this optimism.

I've heard a few people say maybe Hurney learned from his mistakes, but I'm pretty sure he didn't spend his off time gaining experience as a scout.

He's still the same guy he was. A guy that only Jerry Richardson, whose code values loyalty and good feelings over actual competence,  would hire for any front office job, much less GM. 

I know you are skeptical about Hurndog, and probably for good reason. However, we do have a scouting department, and he has Rivera. Plenty of folks to help him make good decisions. He doesn't have to be a scout, he just has to use his resources properly.

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

I know you are skeptical about Hurndog, and probably for good reason. However, we do have a scouting department, and he has Rivera. Plenty of folks to help him make good decisions. He doesn't have to be a scout, he just has to use his resources properly.

Who hired most of the scouting department? 

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Last I knew, we subscribed to a scouting agency, along with our own staff. So....I don't know. But I have a sneaking suspicion you are going to say Hurndog.

Back when we were talking GM candidates, I looked over a lot of the scout profiles in the media guide.

No that doesn't mean they're all bad, but look at it this way. Who would you trust more: an assistant coach hired by Andy Reid or one hired by John Fox? 

2 minutes ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

As much poo as we give Ron, and yes he is far from perfect, you gotta look at dudes like Ben McAdoo and realize that it could be a lot worse. Shoutout to Ron for being able to keep control of the locker room through the down moments.

Yes, this is one of the things he does a great job with.  He is definitely a "player's coach", but keeps control of them unlike McAdoo and Marvin Lewis, to name a couple.  However, another aspect of this is the veteran leadership in the locker room, with Olsen, Kalil, TD, Coleman, Keuchly, among others...

1 minute ago, PantherNation123 said:

Yes, this is one of the things he does a great job with.  He is definitely a "player's coach", but keeps control of them unlike McAdoo and Marvin Lewis, to name a couple.  However, another aspect of this is the veteran leadership in the locker room, with Olsen, Kalil, TD, Coleman, Keuchly, among others...

Good point. Ron's a decent coach, admittedly I have been a huge critic of him, but his biggest flaw is keeping Shula around.

Archived