• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Needs for next season

stirs

Not sure how to prioritize at this point, so just going through the offense and defense.

Offense

Stewart should be gone

Left G might be gone

Left T not playing well 

Center has not playe over 5 mins all season

WR is again a wild card position

Defense

Safety is always an issue

CB's are young, not playing all that well this year, but we will stick with what we've got I am sure

LB's   Big concern, no Klein, TD older, Luke one bump on the head from retirement and Shaq having injury issues.  Backups not all that great

DE  Old, Old, Old

DT money invested and youth, see CB's

Now, Hurney has a plate full

Gonna be a tough off season

1a. Safety

1b. CB

As good as our D has looked, our secondary is trash.  WRs getting open, and abouy the best way for us to shut opposing WRs down is hope they drop the ball, aka Julio, Zay Jones etc.

2015 we had a high power offense with a WR group about on par with this group.  One yhing that helped was "thieves ave" creating turnovers and gettung great field position for the offense.

Now they are FAR FAR FAR from it

ONE DB with 2 ints this season

ONE DB with 1 FF

Compare that to 2015

FIVE DBs with ints with a total of 15

FOUR DBs that caused 7 FF

2. WR

Funchess is going to end up being a solid player, Samuel is Raw.  Really not much beyond that.  Have to get Cam some weapons.

3. DE

Addison is good, Pep is Old, CJ will probably be gone.  Need to inject some young talent here

4. Center

5. OT 

Further down.  Kalil hasnt looked great, but there has been a few real good games of his that he's shown flashes.  Williams has been a solid RT.  Moton, who this staff is high on, is still sitting in our back pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now in order who I'd like the First 3 rounds

1st round

A. Joshua Jackson- as closests thing to Josh Norman to come out in several years.

B. Ronnie Harrison- Athletic SS. Safety has been The biggest weak point on this team this year.

C. Christian Kirk- athletic WR.  WR core is terrible here now and could come right in and start.

D. Billy Price- will be a reach here but he is a late 1st early 2nd guy.  I dont expect Ryan Kalil to be here much longer.  Price is a mauler Center.

2nd round:

A. Billy Price- if he somehow falls, its a win

B. Deshon Elliot- see above with Harrison

C. Armani Watts

D. Donte Jackson

3rd round

A. Donte Pettis

B. Frank Ragnow

C. Josh Sweat

D.  Troy Fumagalli 

E. Anthony Miller

F. Porter Gustin

G. Michael Gallup

3 minutes ago, stirs said:

Pretty confident that Norwell is gone at this point.

Star probably gone too

I think Norwell stays 

Star on the other hand.  I see Hurney letting him go with us having KK and Butler.  Think Star ends up in Buffalo

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I think Norwell stays 

Star on the other hand.  I see Hurney letting him go with us having KK and Butler.  Think Star ends up in Buffalo

As an UDFA, he makes nothing compared to his peers.  If I were him, I would take the biggest contract out there whether in Carolina or not.  Just don't think we have the money to be the highest bidder.  Norwell has this one big contract in front of him and needs to make the most of it

Just now, stirs said:

As an UDFA, he makes nothing compared to his peers.  If I were him, I would take the biggest contract out there whether in Carolina or not.  Just don't think we have the money to be the highest bidder.  Norwell has this one big contract in front of him and needs to make the most of it

He is going to get paid less than Turner.

Norwell is damn good but doesnt have the probowler label attached to him.  And if it comes down to it, i dont see us Not cutting Kalil.  Cutting Ryan Kalil and opening 7.5 mil to help resign Norwell is my prediction.

4 minutes ago, ncfan said:

He is going to get paid less than Turner.

Norwell is damn good but doesnt have the probowler label attached to him.  And if it comes down to it, i dont see us Not cutting Kalil.  Cutting Ryan Kalil and opening 7.5 mil to help resign Norwell is my prediction.

I agree that Kalil should be gone. Age has caught up w him and as I mentioned in the OP,  he has played very little this season, waaay too little for the price tag attached to him.

What I did not mention as it is not relevant yet, is that I still think Cam will retire from football after his contract is up.  Could be wrong, but I think he is gonna move on to other things.

Where we are good, we are old.  Can't keep sinking money into guys like Kalil, Stewart, TD, Olsen, etc.  I see trouble soon, especially if the new ownership group wants to go a different direction.  This season could be our best shot at a Super Bowl for the next 6 years or so

1. DE - a good pass rush makd's the job of the secondary easier. That's clearly the approach of Rivera and company. CJ is shot, Peppers will retire if we win the SB if not hopefully he'll come back for anogher year, Addison is very solid but even he is 30. We badly need young talent here.

2. WR - Funchess has finally developed into a solid starter. Hopefully Samuel can evolve into the slot WR we drafted him to be. Byrd is a good 4th WR. We need another legit outside starter.

3. S - our safeties are aging, slow, and mediocre. 

4. OT - Kalil sucks, but he's going to be here next year anyway. Williams is emerging as a very good possibly even future elite RT. Wouldn't surprise me to see Moton slide inside to replace Norwell.

6. C - Kalil is aging and injury prone at this point and Larsen is a quality back up but a marginal starter. The OL looks so much better with Kalil out there but he's in the twilight of his career.

7. TE - Olsen is aging and Dickson isn't the answer (and he's 30 himself).

Cuts:

CJ- Love the guy but its time to part ways, he should be about ready to retire as well

Ryan Kalil- Same as above

Kurt Coleman- same as the other 2.  Just not the same after some injuries last year.

Russell Shepard- very disapointing this year.  Feels very Armanti Edwardsish, great training camp MVP then never heard of again until you see him show up with a few wide open drops.

Mike Adams- old and lost a step, this makes both starting Safeties cut (hint hint see where my biggest need in the draft is going)

We are now sitting at 38.5 mil in cap space (note: cap generally goes up every year so this isnt factored in as well)

* Jonathon Stewart is also a potential cut here as well which would open right at about 4 more mil.   Now im not aboard the cut Stew train around here.  Only reason Id want to is to get Cap some pt.  Stew has seemed to drop off a bit this year and everyone is comparing it to the Tolbert drop off.  I dont, he still has shown the ability.  His issue is more of the OL, injuries to Turner and Ryan Kalil have hit the interior OL hard.  Lets remember the other RBs arent lighting it on fire running between the tackles this year either.  Opening up 4 mil is Huge if we were to cut him, but we can still save some cap by extending his contract out 1 more year for minimum and spread the remaining of this contract out between the 2 years.

Resignings:

Peppers- if he wants to continue playing (which with the way hes playing and us having a shot, i see it) he's going to sign for another min contract.  Another 1-2 year 3.5 mil could be coming

Norwell-  4 years 8.5 mil.  Now everyone thinks hes going to break the bank.  Turner signed for 4 year 11.25 mil.  While Norwell has graded out good this year.  Turner resigned that deal coming off back-to-back probowls including 2015 year that was so good he was the first OL to be featured on SI's cover since Nate Newton and the only interior OL graded out higher was Zach Martin.  Norwell should easily resign for 4 years 8.5 with the home team.   Thats alot invested in 2 OGs but in our offense that revolves so much around the run game, its a good investment.

Star- now I just have a feeling Hurney will not wont to resign Star with KK's mega deal and 1st rounder Butler after he got burned with the 2 RB mega deals.  But im going to say do it.  4 years 10 mil.  Star isnt the superstar all-pro DT like KK, Donald, and Cox.  Ravens just signed Brandon Williams this year to the 2nd high paid NT in the league. At 5 years 10.8 mil a year.  Star will be paid just below that maybe even at 9-9.5, Poe only got 8 from the Falcons this year.

Damiere Byrd- something small in a 2 year deal.  Kid is just starting to come on before the injury

FA signings:

Donte Moncrief- plenty of athletic ability and a guy we like in the draft before Colts drafted ahead of us.  He hasnt put up the big #s partially due to Luck injury and QB round robin the last couple seasons.  Big Talented WR class should make him sign for a little cheaper with the big boys ahead of him

Kareem Martin/Aaron Lynch- one of these 2. Lynch has tons of ability and a good 4-3 DE fit.  He played out of position at 3-4 OLB up until this year when they moved to 4-3 D, but this year he dealt with injuries and weight issues.  Was almost cut then came out with a 4 sack game recently.  Martin is one im really starting to want (not because im a UNC fan).  Last year I want Okafor bad, he was a 4-3 DE being forced to play 3-4 OLB in Arizona.  Saints signed him and he was having a big year until getting injured.  Kareem Martin is the same way.  Better athlete than Okafor and being forced to play 3-4 OLB which is a Terrible fit for him.  He has shown flashes with his athletic ability.  Kid would be Great in the rotation and possible starter across from Addison who is Quietly becoming a star.  

*if we have enough space Prince Amukamara- still dont have faith in our CBs who look Bad when the front 7 isnt getting the pressure

Draft:

1st: Ronnie Harrison- big athletic SS, who can hit and good tackler which has been a HUGE weakpoint in the safeties this year.  Solid in coverage and great in zone defense.  Perfect shoe fit and weapon in our Zone Blitz happy defense

2nd: Armani Watts- double up on Safety.  Another really good hitter.  Reminds me of 2015 Kurt Coleman in coverage but better athlete and a tackling machine.

3rd (a.)  Frank Ragnow- 6'5 317, big athletic Center.  3 year starter (started at OG as a Sophomore)  was having a good Senior season until missing the final 5 games with a ankle injury (started every game prior to that in 3 seasons) as a sophomore and Junior he gave up...........ZERO sacks playing in a conference that includes Alabama, LSU, OLE MiSS, Auburn, Ta&m, that some good DL he's faced.  Ragnow comes right in and fills Kalils shoes.

3rd (b) Dante Pettis- solid WR, reminds me of Jarvis Landry.  Not the biggest guy at 6'0 195 and runs a 4.5.  Good route runner, solid hands, and good quickness much like Landry as a good return man.  Pettis comes in as competition at WR

5th: Jaylen Samuel- that Tolbert Style FB Shula like.  Can run between the tackles, great reciever for those short screens he used with Tolbert, and a willing blocker

6th-7th: BPA for depth

Archived