• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DE Prospects 2018 Draft

saints4lifeagain

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Okoronkwo just came in at 6013, 243 lbs at the senior bowl which likely gives him a knock on Carolina's board but he does have surprisingly good length.

Landry has some rumors out that he won't hit is listed college stats (6'3" 250) and that he is falling on draft boards (likely would include ours).

Key is reportably falling out of the first too right now because he's looking line an ordinary athlete to go along with the off field stuff.

Davenport's stock is sky high right now and might not make it out of the top 15.

Yeah, Okoronkwo and Landry will definitely have to weigh well to stay in the first round talk, even if they run a hole in the wind. Landry can always fall back to playing off ball LB. Not really sure what OK would do. 

Key is going to blow the doors off of the combine. He's anything but an ordinary athlete. I've watched every game of his career. He has the potential to be special, if he wants it.

I really think Davenport ends up gone in the first 12 picks or so. He's got some dominant film. He's an extraordinary athlete for his size. You can slide him inside as well. I don't think there's many scenarios where he's around in the 20s.

15 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I honestly really don’t like this class of DEs much. Key won’t be an option for us and I like him the most. Chubb obviously great but like you said not an option. After that I don’t love the options in the first 2 rounds. Would go for guys with potential later.

I think it's a strange class to grade. Chubb is obviously the cream of the crop, but after that, there's a bunch of question marks, outside of maybe Davenport, even though he went to a small school. Some of the more explosive guys in the group are small. 

So with all the years of NFL drafts, is there a real key indicator of NFL success from college?

I have no idea.  I was just looking through the NFL sack leaders and their college production numbers.  All over the board.  I would think that guys who do well in college getting after the QB would be more likely to become quality DEs, regardless of athletic testing.

For the Panthers, I'd be happy to find someone who can help really chase the QB on 3rd down.  That's not hard, right? ;)

7 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Key is going to blow the doors off of the combine. He's anything but an ordinary athlete. I've watched every game of his career. He has the potential to be special, if he wants it.

http://draftanalyst.com/hello-mobile-0

That was the first I saw reports of scouts down on his athletic ability.  This draft analyst's evaluations are not the best but his scoops are usually pretty good.  Combine will obviously help sort that out though.

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

So with all the years of NFL drafts, is there a real key indicator of NFL success from college?

I have no idea.  I was just looking through the NFL sack leaders and their college production numbers.  All over the board.  I would think that guys who do well in college getting after the QB would be more likely to become quality DEs, regardless of athletic testing.

For the Panthers, I'd be happy to find someone who can help really chase the QB on 3rd down.  That's not hard, right? ;)

I don't think it's any one thing, and some of it can't be measured. Derek Barnett, for example, doesn't jump off the screen at you, or measure well, but just gets after the QB. 

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

http://draftanalyst.com/hello-mobile-0

That was the first I saw reports of scouts down on his athletic ability.  This draft analyst's evaluations are not the best but his scoops are usually pretty good.  Combine will obviously help sort that out though.

Maybe so, but it would be shocking, imo. You can watch guys and see the athletic ability. When reports came out about Jamaal Adams running a 4.3, people lost their minds. I wasn't shocked. Adams can fly lol. Key may be the 2nd most physically gifted player I've watced at LSU, behind Fournette. That's saying something.

4 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Maybe so, but it would be shocking, imo. You can watch guys and see the athletic ability. When reports came out about Jamaal Adams running a 4.3, people lost their minds. I wasn't shocked. Adams can fly lol. Key may be the 2nd most physically gifted player I've watced at LSU, behind Fournette. That's saying something.

Hopefully they are just rumors because rumors swirling around scouting circles always help the teams picking later.

I remember Short's effort being questioned during the draft process as he was "taking too many plays off". Also could have been because he played almost every snap at Purdue and was gassed, but that rumor worked out for Carolina really well.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hopefully they are just rumors because rumors swirling around scouting circles always help the teams picking later.

I remember Short's effort being questioned during the draft process as he was "taking too many plays off". Also could have been because he played almost every snap at Purdue and was gassed, but that rumor worked out for Carolina really well.

Dude is 6'6 and 265. If he comes into the combine and runs anything around a 4.6, the scouts are going to lose their minds.

56 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

I honestly really don’t like this class of DEs much. Key won’t be an option for us and I like him the most. Chubb obviously great but like you said not an option. After that I don’t love the options in the first 2 rounds. Would go for guys with potential later.

same here. I'm hoping we stay away from dline in R1. Maybe take one of someone drops to our 2nd rounder without us having to trade up , the value wont be too bad then. 

R1 I'm mainly looking now at Christian Kirk WR,  Anthony Miller WR, Ronnie Harrison S , Derwin James S, Connor Williams OT,  Orlando Brown OT,  Joshua Jackson CB, Tavarus McFadden CB, Mark Andrews TE,  as best prospects for us , pre senior bowl/combine/pro day info. 

R1 pick should be secondary, WR, or Oline IMO

This is pretty much how I want our draft to go. Dont make any trades unless its trade downs, so we can address a good variety of positions in the draft and infuse some youth into the team.  We can focus on DE , LB, TE, in 2019 draft. 

Round 1 Pick 24: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas AM (A-)
Round 2 Pick 23: Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia (B+)
Round 3 Pick 21: DeShon Elliott, SS, Texas (A+)
Round 3 Pick 24: Armani Watts, FS, Texas AM (A+)
Round 5 Pick 24: Nick Nelson, CB, Wisconsin (A+)
Round 6 Pick 23: Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis (A+)
Round 7 Pick 16: Austin Corbett, OG, Nevada (A+)
Round 7 Pick 24: John Atkins, DT, Georgia (A+)

2 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

I said in the opening that I'm leaving him off because he'll be long gone by the time our picks roll around. Chubb is going top 10. Key may, but I'm still seeing mocks without him in the first round all together. I don't think that's the case, but there's a chance he's there. There's zero chance Chubb is. I can add him if you'd like, but it's pointless lol.

thanks bro.  I can't decide about Hubbard.  Seems to lack the quick step but is always around the ball.  Smart.  What is your take on him?

30 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

thanks bro.  I can't decide about Hubbard.  Seems to lack the quick step but is always around the ball.  Smart.  What is your take on him?

Huge motor. I worry if he has enough athleticism to consistently beat NFL tackles though. Reminds me of Cam Jordan a little when you watch him, but does he measure as well. Would like to see him be a little more violent with his hands. 

50 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Huge motor. I worry if he has enough athleticism to consistently beat NFL tackles though. Reminds me of Cam Jordan a little when you watch him, but does he measure as well. Would like to see him be a little more violent with his hands. 

IMO Hubbard will be a solid pro, he'l work hard and compete. Don't expect a Bosa like impact unless teams wait next year for Joey Bosas little brother. But if he produces like he can he'l be top 10 next year 

28 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

IMO Hubbard will be a solid pro, he'l work hard and compete. Don't expect a Bosa like impact unless teams wait next year for Joey Bosas little brother. But if he produces like he can he'l be top 10 next year 

I think he'll be solid. I just don't know that you draft those guys in the first round.

Archived