• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do you think Belichick would be a good GM?

Hotsauce

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Tons of bad picks as well. He wasn’t the GM when Brady was picked, I think Pioli was. 

Belichick has been the GM of New England since Day 1. He brought Pioli in as the director of Player Personnel, the same role he had when BB took the head coach position in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

They weren’t as good as their 11-5 record. Against AFC opponents that made the playoffs they were 1-4 (1-1 against Dolphins). The played the AFC and NFC West teams who had 1 team above .500 (Arizona at 9-7). They played 7 games against above .500 teams and went 3-4. 3 of those 7 were against 9-7 teams. They went 8-1 against .500 and below teams.

They only played 4 games against 10+ win teams with 2 12-4 teams (0-2). Compare that to our 11-5 season with 9 games against above .500 teams with 7 against 10+ win teams including 3 13-3 teams (2-1 against them).

It’s funny that you think 11-5 with Cassell means Brady doesn’t mean as much when he went 18-1 the season before with the same team that played a better scehedule. 

LMAO... sure buddy... "It was all the schedule" with Matt Cassell going 11-5.   In 2008 they didn't have Ronnie Harrison, Troy Brown or Laurence Maroney (for most of the season) all key parts of the 2007 team.

He is a great coach, not a great talent evaluator...this is proven both in the draft, and FA pickups.

At the end of the day, put Brady in a competitive division, and he's not winning nearly as much...same with BB.

I think the only time they have advanced to the SB was by being the no 1 seed, or at least having the playoffs all occur in NE...in a good division, that ain't happening.

29 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

He is a great coach, not a great talent evaluator...this is proven both in the draft, and FA pickups.

At the end of the day, put Brady in a competitive division, and he's not winning nearly as much...same with BB.

I think the only time they have advanced to the SB was by being the no 1 seed, or at least having the playoffs all occur in NE...in a good division, that ain't happening.

Not a great talent evaluator.... what makes one great? And you think this is borne out in both the draft and free agency? Huh... Would like to know what proof there is showing this.

As for being in a competitive division, well you play who is on your schedule. The Pats have a near identical win percentage in and out of division play, so seems like a wash to me... Besides that is more on the other teams than the Pats - can only play who is on the schedule. It also shows how consistent they have been.

As for advancing to the SB in a winning year, without the number 1 seed, in 2001 & 2004 the Patriots went to Pittsburgh for the conference championship game.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Nice post! First, Troy Brown had 0 targets in 2007. Sure was a huge part of the 2007 team. You got me there. Rodney, not Ronnie, Harrison started 11 games in 2007 with 1 INT and 54 tackles. He started 6 games in 2008 with 1 INT and 27 tackles. Such a huge difference. Honestly, adding Jerrod Mayo in 2008 made the defense in 2008 better more than losing Harrison for 5 games.

Good rebuttal. I’ll stick with @rayzor and our point that they had a cake schedule. Belichick is the best coach but the reality of 2008 doesn’t come close to showing that the luck of getting Brady in the 6th hasn’t been the biggest factor to his success.

LOL... guess you got me on the Troy Brown...  Doesn't change the fact that Matt Cassell went 11-5, and after that legitimately did nothing but prove himself to not be an NFL starter, and not really even a serviceable backup.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Nice post! First, Troy Brown had 0 targets in 2007. Sure was a huge part of the 2007 team. You got me there. Rodney, not Ronnie, Harrison started 11 games in 2007 with 1 INT and 54 tackles. He started 6 games in 2008 with 1 INT and 27 tackles. Such a huge difference. Honestly, adding Jerrod Mayo in 2008 made the defense in 2008 better more than losing Harrison for 5 games.

Good rebuttal. I’ll stick with @rayzor and our point that they had a cake schedule. Belichick is the best coach but the reality of 2008 doesn’t come close to showing that the luck of getting Brady in the 6th hasn’t been the biggest factor to his success.

Also, was thinking about Alabama's Ronnie Harrison, but sweet correction there buddy.

1 hour ago, bobsfoodbasics said:

Belichick actually likes to go out and win games.

He wouldn't be a good fit in Carolina.

Winning isn't everything.

What about all those hurt feelings?!?!?!

Beli might tell a fan favorite they were in the twilight of their career and/or weren't worthy of a big dollar contract/extension.

Could you just imagine it?  Oh, the horrors!!!

12 hours ago, rayzor said:

it was 11-5 and they benefited from a cupcake schedule. sustainable, as in multi-year. cassell wouldn't have had the continued success brady had.

patriots have the best coach/QB combo probably ever. you separate the two and i doubt either has anywhere near the long term success they've had together.

and yes, argument can be made against him being top 5 GM ever. you take him away from coaching and he doesn't have the success he's had as a GM, not even close.

They benefit from a cupcake schedule every single year...

13 minutes ago, rayzor said:

seems to last right up to the superbowl.

Certainly a huge factor in getting them a bye and home field every god damn year. Greatest dynasty my ass, they're the luckiest. Right place, right time and that's just luck. Belichick's the best coach ever, though he is a cheater, and that combined with insane luck and league preference results in the results they've had. 

Hoping we get Eddie DeBartolo in here running the show to continue his dynasty as an owner.

Archived