• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many FA signings after the draft?

MtnProwler

Curious if anyone knew how many FA signings we had after the draft last year? Who they were? What about two years ago?

So many of us put a lot into the draft picks, as we should, but the draft rarely fills all our needs. Some of us think we should draft specifically a S, TE, WR, CB, OL with or first two picks 'or we're doomed' and might as well start talking about 2019. With that, I'm interested in knowing what we've typically done after the draft, if much of anything?

Google is your friend.

I have only been following the Panthers roster for just over a year but the sense I got from the huddle was that last year we splurged by our standards. Most of those were badly judged the exception being Peppers.

Not sure if it effects comp picks, if so it’s unlikely any of those options  left are more than a last gasp solution if we fail to answer needs in the draft. I’m not expecting to find any gems. Maybe in cuts during preseason.

11 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I think any player we grab will be a cut player vice a free agent since it could impact our compensatory 3rd round pick next year. 

After a certain date FA signings don't impact your compensatory picks.  Cut players are basically free agents, so after that date it won't matter which ones we sign.  In other words, an Eric Reid possibility remains, but not until sometime in May.

19 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

After a certain date FA signings don't impact your compensatory picks.  Cut players are basically free agents, so after that date it won't matter which ones we sign.  In other words, an Eric Reid possibility remains, but not until sometime in May.

I thought that might be the case but I am not an expert on the subject so I didn't assume.

I would love to see Reid with us.

I just did some research that some may find interesting on transactions that typically happen after the draft. All GMs have a flurry of signings of FA/Undrafted right after the draft to fill out the bottoms of the roster and practice squads, no surprise there. You'll normally see extensions happen in July and August, again no surprise. But, I compared the last three years of Gettleman and Hurney with their after draft transactions:

Gettleman 17: Waived Boston, signed Cole Luke and Van Roten.

Gettleman 16: Released Boykin

Gettleman 15: not really any worth mentioning

Hurney 12: not really any worth mentioning

Hurney 11: Traded for Olsen, UFAs re-signed RB Williams and DE Johnson, and signed FA QB Anderson.

Hurney 10: not really any worth mentioning

Conclusion: We are all justified in saying what happens in the draft is pretty much it, almost all notable signings come before the draft. However, if you are looking for a speckle of hope Hurney is slighlty more likely to make a move than Gettleman.

Now I'm curious to compare if there are notable signings just before the draft? Check back here in a few...

...comparing the same time frame but transactions just before the draft, within a couple of weeks:

Gettleman: hasn't made any notable signings except for Tillman in 2015.

Hurney: nothin worth noting.

Set your expectations accordingly. Going to be another long two weeks.

Archived