• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Cam Newton's two deep incompletions...

Saca312

I didn't even know this was a concern until this thread. We lost Ginn and have no true deep threat in the mold of Ginn outside of Byrd. Personally, I'd rather see Bryd start over Smith because we've seen Cam with a burner who runs a 4.2 40.

No one questioned his deep ball then. I know its before his shoulder surgery but it was also post Ginn.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

It's sad that it is a concern. It shouldn't be.

Seems that no one wants to mention that Cam hasn't had anyone to throw the ball deep to; two factors go into that. Number one, we dont have a guy who actually plays that can get downfield fast enough. Number two, the offensive line was injured last season resulting in less time for slower receivers to get down the field.

If Byrd would be put in more often, Cams deep ball would magically return because it would finally be an option. He's got the speed to split a two deep safety look and get open 50 yards down field in the time required.

Just now, CPcavedweller said:

If Byrd would be put in more often, Cams deep ball would magically return because it would finally be an option.

Add Curtis Samuel in that mix.

Samuel's probably our best deep threat by far. Imo, he's our best WR by far as well with the way Funchess played in week 1.

Hope hope hope Rivera realizes Samuel is good and plays him like crazy against Atlanta.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

Add Curtis Samuel in that mix.

Samuel's probably our best deep threat by far. Imo, he's our best WR by far as well with the way Funchess played in week 1.

Hope hope hope Rivera realizes Samuel is good and plays him like crazy against Atlanta.

I think Samuel is good but I think DJ Moore will be our best receiver by mid-season. However, much like Ginn, I dont think of Byrd as a threat to be a complete receiver. He will open up the 8 man boxes however because safeties have to respect his speed. The same could be said for Samuel.

I think an interesting development would be a two right end formation with both Byrd and Samuel out wide and Moore in the slot. With CJ in the backfield, you could either motion one tight end out to pull a guy out of the box to run, and if they dont follow, both Samuel and Byrd have the speed to beat the man and get up to the single high safety. I dont expect that will ever be used but it certainly presents some match-up problems if you force the defense into their base set.

But if I'm being honest, I want to see Smith used as a mentor. There are other guys who can play his role better than he can on the field. Not to mention you're gonna have to find ways to get DJ Smith the ball. The Giants didn't draft OBJ and then sit him to learn; no, they force fed him.

Off topic: Susie of ESPN just said Darnold had an amazing first game. Aside from the result of the game, he didn't impress me. 15-21 for 121 yards with a Pick 6. 5.7 YPA would be considered pretty damn awful for most any quarterback. I doubt they would interpret Lamar Jackson or Mayfields performance as that way. I don't recall them saying Cam had an "amazing" debut. I only remember them saying they were surprised. poo is irritating as hell.

The bottom line is this, people making excuses for Cams inaccuracy in the years past have had valid arguments for such claims that it's a product of a lack of talent. For this season whatever the outcome is, there's no fugging excuses but I'm sure someone will point out the injuries on the O line. Well every other QB in history has had to deal with such a situation too, it's called football and that's what happens it's next man up in this sport. It's not like Cam has a lowly ranked O line, by that same token it's not exactly amazing either. Look at Dallas' O line, they got destroyed yesterday in Pass pro and run blocking. Sometimes it's not about the names on it, I think our O line has done an admiral job but Amini shouldn't even be on an NFL team. So excuse people if you're going to use one, do so for Amini and Rivera because they both SUCK. 

As for the last pass it landed on the sideline, it needed to be at least 2 yards shorter to hit CMC in stride perfectly. No defending that when Rodgers with a bad leg placed one of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen in a game for a TD in stride.

8 minutes ago, Salisburysean98 said:

No defending that when Rodgers with a bad leg placed one of the most beautiful passes I've ever seen in a game for a TD in stride.

Great job bringing up the best QB in the league by far no other QB is even close to. Adding on, I got hundreds highlights of Cam off his backfoot, across his body, and other scenarios where he’s thrown plenty of beauties, but that’d go against your narrative.

Also, I’m reallly curious. But um, can you explain the massive separation and explosive attributes our “weapons” had yesterday? I’m pretty sure nooo WR except Wright was good at that.

Archived