• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

On Cam Newton's two deep incompletions...

Saca312

One thing that Bill Voth likes to bring up is his 'criticisms' on Cam on occasions. Of course, he likes to elude to the fact he's in the right with such comments and berates all the "homers" for believing otherwise.

Now, don't get me wrong. Bill Voth's fantastic as a beat reporter. I just vehemently disagree with some of his stances on Cam Newton.

With that being said, here's a comment he made recently about Cam Newton's deep ball accuracy in reference to the first miss to Funchess:

Of course, I have plenty of rebuttals for this. For example, Torrey Smith is actually overrated and can be a liability on occasions deep. It's hard to gain a good rapport with someone who truly needs to refine a few aspects of his route running. Another is simply having plenty of new guys and a new OC and just getting used to them.

But then this comes up from Voth on his reply:

As Cam Newton slander is against my moral values I have decided to get irrationally internet angry over these tweets and post a long thread explaining why both of these opinions are actually wrong based on how the game of football is played. 

So, without further ado, here's my completely biased opinion on the matter since I am indeed a Cam Newton fan.

Deep Shot #1 - Cam Newton to Funchess incomplete

752233482_CamtoFunchessmiss.gif.f6abb9cc68d16ff1c71381db1947af20.gif

Surprisingly, this was a play that actually was defended quite well by the commentators. First of all, credit to Troy Aikman for saying something that doesn't downgrade Cam in this instance and tells exactly what happened. Something rare from these commentators. While it's understandable they're trying to be objective and criticizing Cam on occasions, they seem to be leaning towards a non-objective side given some of their weird criticisms of some of his good throws. Even then, this time they got it right.

Anyhow, the play begins with Torrey Smith and Devin Funchess on the left side of Cam Newton. However, what's interesting is where those two end up. Both of them seem to be streaking down the field and essentially keeping in each other's space and running in each others routes. It clearly wasn't part of Norv's blueprint for such to happen. As a result, Devin Funchess is out of position as Cam throws deep, and staggers behind the ball while attempts at tracking it down were futile.

As far as who was a part of the miscommunication, who knows. The likely culprit is Funchess, but just as easily could've been Torrey Smith running the wrong route. Either way, clear that the two of them certainly were not supposed to be where they were and disrupted the timing of Cam. Or, more likely, Cam threw right where Funchess was supposed to go but route confusion got to them.

Troy Aikman said it best when he gave his comments on the play. He stated he expects Norv to chew Funchess out during film session for such a blatant error. As Troy has been under Norv's system before and understands his expectations for perfection with his receivers, such mental errors surely wouldn't slide. 

Since it is week 1, it's to be expected there will be some mistakes with certain routes. After all, Norv Turner is new as an OC and it will be a transition. However, what should not be excused is blaming Cam for WR miscommunication. It's 100% not his fault Devin Funchess ran the wrong route.

This incompletion wasn't a result of anything wrong with Cam's deep accuracy.

Deep Shot #2 - Cam Newton to CMC incomplete

189790409_CamtoCMCmiss.gif.46e37969028a90b8bcdc15edc54ab028.gif

Now this one I'm sure everyone is standing up, pointing, and saying "gotcha!" After all, what it looks like is a pure overthrown ball straight to Christian McCaffrey with no ifs, ands, or buts that any QB should've made.

However, another closer look reveals more to the picture.

First off, here's another throw from Cam Newton earlier in the game.

1452290246_CamDart2.gif.2c8dbc5614f2311da0cda7e7f457ccdf.gif

Sadly, Joe Buck in this one decides to open his big mouth and argue this was a throw "behind Funchess" that "you'd like to see more accurate" while completely ignoring one particular detail.

Notice who's coming straight at Funchess from the middle of the field. That defender is certainly no turtle coming in. He's more likened to a speedy heat-seeking missile aiming straight for poor Devin Funchess' head. Of course, Cam Newton on that particular snap recognizes the danger Funchess could be in and throws his pass a little behind to help him out.

The result? Funchess gets a completion and keeps his head attached to his body. He's able to slow himself down and pivot to make the catch while protecting himself from a massive concussion.

Now, in the case with his incompletion to Christian McCaffrey, notice the safety up top coming right in the window. This safety pretty much comes in like a missile ready to disrupt CMC's out and up. This action helps close off a possible vertical line towards the endzone and forces CMC to angle towards the sideline. The safety's job basically is to force CMC in that direction and close off any opportunity as much as possible.

Now, this particular throw is hard to make. Cam has to attempt to direct CMC towards the sideline so he doesn't throw an interception or cause CMC to get in any harm. The only possible way this play goes well is try a sideline throw and hope CMC makes it in time.

As such, Cam tries to open an opportunity with that throw. Just simple facts that the window was already small and CMC couldn't make it in time to the only place where a play could be made.

Sure, had Cam threw the ball a few milliseconds later, perhaps it would've been a perfect throw and CMC would've caught it. But to expect Cam to time that perfectly and throw it perfectly all the time is asinine. Very few QBs could make that throw while maneuvering the pocket like Cam. 

Today, only Aaron Rodgers could make that throw in that situation. And he's arguably the best QB in the league by far.

It's a small window few QBs could make. While yes, I'm sure @MasterAwesome can't wait to point out "oh but Cam's pass didn't make it despite you admitting there was an opportunity," understand this was to point out how hard of a throw it was to complete, how Cam actually had opened up an opportunity by throwing it in the only playable location, and how it wasn't as wide open as it seemed.

Conclusion

Should Cam Newton's deep ball be a concern? History says he's been one of the best at it. Aside from last year where his arm was recovering from shoulder surgery, he's always been in the top tier in terms of accuracy down the field. As long as he has reliable deep ball targets, he'll hit them in stride and well.

Bill Voth does voice his concerns over seeing Cam's deep ball accuracy in training camp. However, the counterpoint is simply the fact that he's trying to get used to his new receivers. After all, the only familiar name over a multi-year span in the wide receiver room really is Devin Funchess. The rest are either second year/been hurt a lot/completely brand new. It's fair to expect he's using training camp and the such to try and gain rapport with his receivers, and it's hard to blame Cam for missing a few here and there.

However, what shouldn't be happening is using examples of small window throws and wide receiver error as knocks on Cam Newton as if he were supposed to make them. Using those throws from the first game of the year to build a narrative that Cam's inaccurate/an overthrowing quarterback is hardly credible for anyone paying attention. Plus, most quarterbacks such as Tom Brady and even Aaron Rodgers have all had their fair share of overthrows that hardly get called out, yet Cam Newton does constantly due to his high velocity throws.

Overall, none of these two throws should be considered any piece of credible evidence for Cam having a poor deep ball/being inaccurate. 

That is all.

1 minute ago, t96 said:

McC deep incompletion was absolute on Cam.

I mean, sure. If you expect Cam to be perfect there, that could've been completed. However, it is by no means an easy throw and I can guarantee only 1-2 QBs in the NFL right now would've made it.

That window was very tight and small. I can't put that as a huge knock on Cam when it's a very high level of difficulty type spot.

Troy, buck, voth are all full poo to be real. I remember the playoff game last year where brees was deliberately throwing the ball off point so that receivers could adjust and catch it because they were covered so only they good get it. Troy and buck raved about how brees practices this with the receivers all the time and how great it makes him. 

Gonna bash cam for doing the same thing just because it fits the narrative. 

I’m not crapping on the roaring riot guy, but his tweet seems to suggest this is a new epidemic. Cam is a marginally accurate passer. He’s streaky, and if there’s a clean pocket (NFCCG 2015), he can be lethal on deep/intermediate. 

This is just what he is. Norv will help with the cerebral side of managing situations and reads. Mechanics aren’t getting a makeover in year 8. 

GIF 1: Funchess ran a marginal (perhaps even the wrong) pattern. Odd looking route combo. This looks like a communication issue.  

GIF 2: 90 knocked 1 off his mark, affected ball placement. Nice defensive play.

GIF 3: Ball slightly behind 17–but even that’s splitting hairs. 

Archived