• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Its time to fire Rivera

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Why is that? Honestly, I know very little about Khan but I'll be a little surprised if he isn't our next GM.

He's considered one of the best salary evaluators/negotiators in the league, but he didn't start as a scout.

What I'd want to see would be Khan bringing a personnel guy over from the Steelers. They have one of the best personnel departments in the business.

24 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He's considered one of the best salary evaluators/negotiators in the league, but he didn't start as a scout.

What I'd want to see would be Khan bringing a personnel guy over from the Steelers. They have one of the best personnel departments in the business.

I don't really care if a GM comes from a scouting background as long as he surrounds himself with the right talent evaluators.

One thing is for sure though, if we go with Khan and he brings the Steelers' negotiating style with him, this fanbase is in for a rude awakening in a lot of ways. Get ready to let watch some fan favorite vets walk and sometimes even superstars. The Steelers absolutely refuse to pay a guy more than they think he's worth, but they consistently field a winning football team.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't really care if a GM comes from a scouting background as long as he surrounds himself with the right talent evaluators.

One thing is for sure though, if we go with Khan and he brings the Steelers' negotiating style with him, this fanbase is in for a rude awakening in a lot of ways. Get ready to let watch some fan favorite vets walk and sometimes even superstars. The Steelers absolutely refuse to pay a guy more than they think he's worth, but they consistently field a winning football team.

Yep. Khan and Colbert have that rep.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's fine if you can also make the moves to replace them. We have either overpaid some of those fan favorites erroneously or jettisoned them with no real capability to replace them. It would be fine to get another Gettleman style negotiator paired with some real capable talent evaluators.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yep. Khan and Colbert have that rep.

One thing about them though, it usually works out. I mean, who would've thought that James Conner was going to to step in and make people say "Le'Veon Bell? Who is that?"

If I'm the other 31 teams, I'm looking at Bell a lot differently right now. Is he really THAT great or is he a product of the system in a lot of ways?

Just now, kungfoodude said:

That's fine if you can also make the moves to replace them. We have either overpaid some of those fan favorites erroneously or jettisoned them with no real capability to replace them. It would be fine to get another Gettleman style negotiator paired with some real capable talent evaluators.  

Yep. We bounced Norman and then desperately had to spam picks at CBs just to field a secondary the following year. The results were predictably terrible. The Steelers play hardball with Bell and just plug in Conner and keep rolling without missing a beat.

59 minutes ago, TravyCatz said:

Fire the most winning coach we've ever had....that's brilliant! (eyeroll)

Heres an idea! Get our defense to lower our ridiculous missed tackle %, get Cams arm healed up, give Cam and Norv another year to adjust to each other, get Gano healed up, replace Olsen, fire Funchess and retain a pair of solid receivers while improving our O-line and were right back into the superbowl.

Anyone calling for Rivera to be fired is just.....wow. I cant help but laugh at the idea or feel sad for people who legitimately want him gone.

Hi Stephanie.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. We bounced Norman and then desperately had to spam picks at CBs just to field a secondary the following year. The results were predictably terrible. The Steelers play hardball with Bell and just plug in Conner and keep rolling without missing a beat.

And then Connor gets hurt and Samuels runs for 100+ yards. It must be nice to have that kind of offensive line....

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And then Connor gets hurt and Samuels runs for 100+ yards. It must be nice to have that kind of offensive line....

Yep. I'm sure some desperate GM is going to give Bell a king's ransom but when he disappoints all the writing was on the wall. Everyone the Steelers put out there at RB pretty much produced like he's Le'Veon Bell. 

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One thing about them though, it usually works out. I mean, who would've thought that James Conner was going to to step in and make people say "Le'Veon Bell? Who is that?"

If I'm the other 31 teams, I'm looking at Bell a lot differently right now. Is he really THAT great or is he a product of the system in a lot of ways?

Back in the 70s, the Steelers put massive effort into building the best talent evaluation and drafting system they could.

Everything they do is based off of that. it's the reason why they can let guys go without paying insane contracts, because they already preemptively drafted the proverbial "next man up".

Something like that doesn't get built here overnight, but if we want to get started we need to have somebody in place who's qualified to build it.

That, as much as anything, is the best argument for going with Omar Khan. And with the changes that guys like Albert Breer have talked about making free agency more difficult, drafting well is going to be more important than ever.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. I'm sure some desperate GM is going to give Bell a king's ransom but when he disappoints all the writing was on the wall. Everyone the Steelers put out there at RB pretty much produced like he's Le'Veon Bell. 

I don't think the average fan has an appreciation for how devalued the running back position is in the modern NFL. I suspect we will get to see some of that when CMC comes up for his contract in a few years and we potentially(and possibly rightfully) let him walk to get a bigger contract elsewhere. I love the kid but I don't want to see us sign him to some Kelvin Benjamin sized contract if the market does not warrant it.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Back in the 70s, the Steelers put massive effort into building the best talent evaluation and drafting system they could.

Everything they do is based off of that. it's the reason why they can let guys go without paying insane contracts, because they already preemptively drafted the proverbial "next man up".

Something like that doesn't get built here overnight, but if we want to get started we need to have somebody in place who's qualified to build it.

That, as much as anything, is the best argument for going with Omar Khan.

It may be pretty hard to build that kind of machine anymore. The closest thing is how Belicheck runs the Patriots but the other 30 franchises do not seem to be that patient with their front offices. That is key. If you are a true believer in the system being built, you also have to give it the time to come to fruition. Harder to do in the modern world.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

It may be pretty hard to build that kind of machine anymore. The closest thing is how Belicheck runs the Patriots but the other 30 franchises do not seem to be that patient with their front offices. That is key. If you are a true believer in the system being built, you also have to give it the time to come to fruition. Harder to do in the modern world.

The Steelers know how.

Hence, why a guy who's spent years working in a high-level position for the Steelers makes a lot of sense.

Archived