• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers with the game winner

Bartin

1 hour ago, DaGreat_98 said:

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions, but it is a whole lot of negative nancies on this forum. What you saw defensively was a good football play. Everyone already saw that the 1st read "Urtz" was taken away by Thomas Davis. What you saw the Eagles running on the right side of their offense was a "Hi-Lo" Concept. Alshon is suppose to clear out that space for the receiver to be open underneath. I can almost guarantee that Alshon was not the next read for Wentz. They were definitely trying to get the first down. Kuechly knew that and jumped that route. Alshon was not as open as you think he is. Based on depth perception, Wentz has to throw that ball over Kuechly if he still wants to get it to Jeffrey, which gives time for the safety who is playing over the top of the defense to get there. I am not sure that would have been a wide open catch for Alshon if the ball gets there. The Panthers defense "nutted up," and ended the game for us. Give them their credit. Kuechly is not a shell of himself, you can stop with that comparison. Thomas is Davis is back now....

Good post.  But, although the "Hi-Lo" can be used to open up the underneath route, it can also be used to open up the high as the priority read based off of tendencies the defense has shown throughout the game.  If they kept catching us biting on underneath stuff, they may run it again with Jeffrey being the target...  so, hard to say what had happened prior to this, but i would think the deep route, although a harder throw to make over the top of Luke, would still be what you're looking for initially after Ertz was taken away, because if you make it, you end the game...  then again, Philly runs a lot of stuff short to maximize YAC.  Regardless, this was the perfect meshing of pressure up front and coverage holding up well-enough to give the pressure time to get there.

I pointed out in another thread that it appeared a big adjustment we made in the 4th qtr was pressure up the middle, be it through double-A gap pressure, or through alignment of the DL to more of a pinch versus being spread out wide as they were doing early.

Archived