• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton’s future interesting read from David Newton

raleigh-panther

4 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Nobody is "afraid" to find a good QB. The difficulty in it is the reality that you aren't going to get one unless you draft one early or trade for one on top of paying him a fat contract sooner rather than later. If you're hoping a mid to late round pick named Scrappy Gymrat McLunchpail is going to turn into Baker Mayfield for us, you're smoking some good poo.

The reality is if Newton leaves, we're gonna hang at the bottom of the division and the conference for that matter for awhile with the state of our offensive and defensive lines. No QB we can acquire is going to be able to shoulder the kind of load that Newton has over the years. I think that's one aspect that fans have taken for granted. When they see other QB's behind our offensive line exiting games early for injury, it should sink in just how durable Newton had been for us up until this point.

This isn't reality, this is your opinion of what MAY happen.

Also, this is totally dependent on us keeping this front office and coaching staff, which I don't think make it out of 19 alive.

That said, it is a real possibility, but we certainly can't guarantee it.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Nobody is "afraid" to find a good QB. The difficulty in it is the reality that you aren't going to get one unless you draft one early or trade for one on top of paying him a fat contract sooner rather than later. If you're hoping a mid to late round pick named Scrappy Gymrat McLunchpail is going to turn into Baker Mayfield for us, you're smoking some good poo.

The reality is if Newton exits, we're gonna hang at the bottom of the division and the conference for that matter for awhile with the state of our offensive and defensive lines. No QB we can acquire is going to be able to shoulder the kind of load that Newton has over the years. I think that's one aspect that fans have taken for granted. When they see QB's exiting games early for injury, it should sink in just how durable Newton had been for us up until this point.

I think we definitely can find a QB next year that gives us a better shot then what Cam did this year....and I'm not comparing anyone to Baker Mayfield.  Not a knock on Cam...just the reality of the injury.

Collectively you're right.  It'll be hard to find someone that has meant more to the team over the past 8 years....but that's in the past. If we want to have a shot at having a good year next year then we need a good manager at QB.  We're a good enough team that all we need is a QB who can not make the big mistake and take what the defense gives him.

I'm just not sure if we find a guy who plays well for us next season how we can bench him the following year.

Just now, thefuzz said:

This isn't reality, this is your opinion of what MAY happen.

Also, this is totally dependent on us keeping this front office and coaching staff, which I don't think make it out of 19 alive.

That said, it is a real possibility, but we certainly can't guarantee it.

Have you seen our record the last 2 seasons versus the rest of the NFC South?

If we don't get pass rush established for 2019, it's going to be more of the same.

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The reality is if Newton leaves, we're gonna hang at the bottom of the division and the conference for that matter for awhile with the state of our offensive and defensive lines. No QB we can acquire is going to be able to shoulder the kind of load that Newton has over the years. I think that's one aspect that fans have taken for granted. When they see other QB's behind our offensive line exiting games early for injury, it should sink in just how durable Newton had been for us up until this point.

When I mean afraid to find a qb....I really mean reluctance to find Cam's replacement.

1 minute ago, TheRed said:

Have you seen our record the last 2 seasons versus the rest of the NFC South?

If we don't get pass rush established for 2019, it's going to be more of the same.

You know I have.  And I agree.

All I'm saying is that we cannot guarantee we will go to the bottom of the NFC if we move on from Cam, or are forced to move on from Cam.

We may just do that, or we may come out OK.  Just too hard to know in this sport.  Same with Ron.

1 minute ago, thefuzz said:

All I'm saying is that we cannot guarantee we will go to the bottom of the NFC if we move on from Cam, or are forced to move on from Cam.

We may just do that, or we may come out OK.  Just too hard to know in this sport.  Same with Ron.

Yeah it's hard to imagine we lose 7 in a row if a healthy Allen was back there as opposed to an injured Cam.  This is been a tough year that's revealed that Cam may be holding us back....instead of being the reason we're good.

43 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

...its not too much to ask to have a diagnosis with a plan of action within a week or two. Somebody knows what the problem is and they aint talkin

i guess my question is, does somebody really know?  what's the urgency talk?   does he need a scope just to put a lil camera in and look around and won't get it?   did he get the mri?     he wasn't urgent last year.  i'm really wondering if anyone knows.

9 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I think we definitely can find a QB next year that gives us a better shot then what Cam did this year....and I'm not comparing anyone to Baker Mayfield.  Not a knock on Cam...just the reality of the injury.

Collectively you're right.  It'll be hard to find someone that has meant more to the team over the past 8 years....but that's in the past. If we want to have a shot at having a good year next year then we need a good manager at QB.  We're a good enough team that all we need is a QB who can not make the big mistake and take what the defense gives him.

I'm just not sure if we find a guy who plays well for us next season how we can bench him the following year.

That game manager stuff is 1980's, and frankly a pipe dream in the modern NFL. Even guys like Jimmy G are getting 100 million. You see the best teams right now though tend to have dynamic ability at the QB position.

We were sold that back before we drafted Cam anyway. Remember the "Let's bring in Billy Volek" talk? Stop thinking in the past.

7 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

When I mean afraid to find a qb....I really mean reluctance to find Cam's replacement.

It's January.

3 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

Yeah it's hard to imagine we lose 7 in a row if a healthy Allen was back there as opposed to an injured Cam.  This is been a tough year that's revealed that Cam may be holding us back....instead of being the reason we're good.

If the QB is injured that's on the head coach for continuing to put him out there.

I find it curious you point out he was holding us back at a time when he was clearly injured but make no mention of his level of play before that when we were 6-2. Was he holding us back in the 4th quarter against the Eagles?

Luke Kuechly wasn't playing so hot at one point either. Some people were even talking about his days being numbered here. You can't make determinations on a whim.

13 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

The issue with your blind optimism is Ron Rivera with his penchant for getting outcoached will still be standing on the sideline. Only this time, he won't have a Cam Newton to save his ass. Without a pass rush to boot? Buckle in.

6 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I find it curious you point out he was holding us back at a time when he was clearly injured but make no mention of his level of play before that when we were 6-2. Was he holding us back in the 4th quarter against the Eagles?

That was Week 7. It was clear that as the season wore on, Cam's arm got worse. You could even see within the game. Cam would come out strong, but as the game the wore on, it got worse and worse. Opposing defensive players even acknowledged closer to the end of the year that they were playing Carolina differently and had zero concern of getting beat deep.

12 minutes ago, TheRed said:

That game manager stuff is 1980's, and frankly a pipe dream in the modern NFL. Even guys like Jimmy G are getting 100 million. You see the best teams right now though tend to have dynamic ability at the QB position.

We were sold that back before we drafted Cam anyway. Remember the "Let's bring in Billy Volek" talk? Stop thinking in the past.

It's January.

If the QB is injured that's on the head coach for continuing to put him out there.

Luke Kuechly wasn't playing so hot at one point either. Some people were even talking about his days being numbered here. You can't make determinations on a whim.

I believe you're misinterpreting where I'm coming from.  This isn't about who's fault it is.  This isn't about whether Cam was a great qb for us....he certainly was. It's not about saying Cam is an awful qb. He was hurt which is why he sucked....he didn't suck healthy....I know that. It's not about saying Rivera is or isn't at fault.  All of that is irrelevant, because none of it changes the circumstance we're in going into next season. This is about future salary cap, Cam's age and injury, and what's in the best interest of the Carolina Panthers going forward.  How we got the hand we were dealt is irrelevant...because it's in the past.  

No the game manager stuff is not in the 80s dude. Finding a QB that can throw it deep a little bit and not throw the critical pick is all we need.

What makes me laugh is you read these posts about moving on from Cam, and there's virtually no mention of the state of our OL, or how thoroughly we were often outcoached in 2018 on both sides of the ball.

It's as if some people didn't watch the last 2 games where two different starting QB's were unable to finish a game without injury behind this OL.

I feel like when these fans finally get their wish, and see what the adjustment period actually looks like, they're going to mysteriously disappear.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

What makes me laugh is you read these posts about moving on from Cam, and there's virtually no mention of the state of our OL, or how thoroughly we were often outcoached in 2018 on both sides of the ball.

It's as if some people didn't watch the last 2 games where two different starting QB's were unable to finish a game without injury behind this OL.

I feel like when these fans finally get their wish, and see what the adjustment period actually looks like, they're going to mysteriously disappear.

Red, I've mentioned this before.

Why do you get so caught up in stupid peoples thoughts on Cam Newton?

There are almost zero fans that know anything about football who want to move on from Cam.  How do those few idiots get you so stirred up?

Archived