• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

CMC was 2nd in the league with 62 broken tackles this year

Ricky Spanish

5 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

not at all because im more concerned with winning games than any individual's stat line. our offense was at it's best when it wasn't being run through a pass catching RB. 

The suggestion here is that McCaffrey is poised to become even more important to the Panthers offense than Cam Newton is.

And that's not my take. It's from an NFL analyst.

Just now, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

yeah it's a bad take for the reasons i've provided. i don't doubt that ron "i would have taken a shot too" rivera would be happy to hand the reigns to mccaffrey but again if we continue to run the offense through a pass catching running back we're not going to be scoring a lot of points

This guy disagrees, and he's got a pretty good case for it.

CMC over the first 8 weeks when the team was 6-2

average touches 

19.75 first 8 games

21 last 8 games

I'd go deeper into that and show cam's stats to show why...but that's pointless everyone saw that as clear as day. Team isn't going to be consistent offensively unless the qb can make defenses honest. Cam hasn't been able to do that for over 2 seasons now. 

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You'll love this comment then...

The 5-foot-11, 205-pounder clearly proved he can handle the load at the NFL level and has positioned himself to be the future of the Panthers' offense -- even with Cam Newton under center. 

nobody should like that comment considering statistics show that the more McCaffery gets the ball the less likely we are to win

10 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

unless he's arguing for a switch to wide receiver then he's probably wrong. mccaffrey has the best hands on the team and he's right there with samuel in route running ability and maybe better there too. that value isn't being maximized when he's running so many routes at and behind the LOS. 

Not at all correct given the kind of offense we run.

Our scheme is pretty heavy on passes to runningbacks, same as it was when Turner used it in San Diego with LaDainian Tomlinson.

So I guess what you're saying is that they were wrong to use LT the way they did, and they'd have won more if they'd have just moved him to receiver :thinking:

22 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

CMC over the first 8 weeks when the team was 6-2

average touches 

19.75 first 8 games

21 last 8 games

I'd go deeper into that and show cam's stats to show why...but that's pointless everyone saw that as clear as day. Team isn't going to be consistent offensively unless the qb can make defenses honest. Cam hasn't been able to do that for over 2 seasons now. 

1.25 touches a game apparently makes a huge difference.

If there's anyone out there who would deny CMC's talent, they are a buffoon.

Unfortunately the reality is no player can realistically sustain the amount of reps he has been getting. If father time can catch up with a man built like Cam Newton, that says it all. And you see the amount of reps he has under his belt over the years being expected to save the day more often than not.

If you want to maximize rare talents like Cam or CMC, you must evolve and make your offense more dynamic to open things up for other players. The best teams right now have versatility. That's the only way we will finally hoist up a Lombardi trophy.

8 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

this isn't the same league. and good coaches adapt to their personnel.

also as i've already said, scheming passes to running backs at that kind of volume is inefficient. average yards per attempt on passes to mccaffrey was 6.99. that's not efficient. but it fills out his stat sheet so i guess you have to decide what's important to you there.

When it's the only throw the QB can complete at an efficient rate then yes that's the throw your going to make and yes your going to scheme the offense around it. You act like its his fault he has 187 catches his first two seasons. It's also not his fault that he's the best player on the team not named Cam.

46 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

this isn't the same league. and good coaches adapt to their personnel.

also as i've already said, scheming passes to running backs at that kind of volume is inefficient. average yards per attempt on passes to mccaffrey was 6.99. that's not efficient. but it fills out his stat sheet so i guess you have to decide what's important to you there.

Ever since Bill Walsh introduced the WCO, passes to runningbacks have become a major staple of the NFL. Both of the other traditional systems (Coryell and Erhardt-Perkins) involve significant amounts of passing to runningbacks as a major part of their attack also.

Heck, the most successful team in the league (New England, who runs an E-P) has an offense run by a quarterback whose downfield passing is the weakest part of his game. Passes to runningbacks and others out of the backfield are their bread and butter.

And no, that's not changing. the high-flying offenses of today still do the same thing. The Chiefs, for example, put up their point totals running an Andy Reid WCO. As mentioned, one of the major Innovations of the WCO was passing to the runningback.

Bottom Line: If anything, McCaffrey is going to become a bigger part of what we do. And it doesn't matter how much you try to spin it on this board, that's not going to change.

12 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You haven't heard the argument that him being as good as he was actually hurt our offense? :thinking:

I'm not kidding. One of our resident dumbasses has actually been trying to put that out there :)

(I forget which one; does it matter?)

He did force Hurney to cut CJ

Archived