• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last Year’s Draft

ForJimmy

12 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Sime weight, strength, conditioning, teaching and experience can do wonders. Look at the difference between C-Mac this season and C-Mac during the first part of 2017. I'm not saying that Haynes will turn into a dominant pass rusher, but we at least can give him time to see exactly what his upside is. 

I said it at the time, I actually think Haynes is a really talented player.

But I also said, and I still believe it, he'll never have success playing with his hand on the ground.  As someone else has pointed out up-thread, he's already 25.  Draft him at age 21 and start building him?  You might have a decent shot of him getting bigger as well maintaining his primary weapon, his speed.  

25?  Too late.  They might get him bigger, but all that's going to do is damage the one thing he's naturally good at.

Haynes in this last draft was as clear a candidate for development as a 3-4 OLB as it can get.  Yet we drafted him to "develop" him to put his hand on the ground.  Insanity.

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I thought that we were discussing last year's draft. 

I was later asked questions about finances and said that the all the moves in free agency last year were financially sensible at the time, regardless of injury or the fact that players didn't quite meet up to expectations after-the-fact (which is a point of contention steeped in opinion itself). What part of that is not understandable? I guess that it's only out-of-this-world thinking because this is the Huddle.

You brought up the Steelers. An organization that would NEVER employ someone with Hurneys resume. You then proceeded to disregard and relevant fact associated with him(30-50 forgot we won last week, O playoffs, 0 winning seasons, 25% success rate.) Those are facts. You trying to claim others judge GMs differently, is an opinion. An unexplained and laughable one. Then it’s wherever you can put the goalposts down to keep the focus away from the facts. 

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

It’s always been the most fascinating thing about this fan base. I remember first getting on here in 2015 and wandering why so many hated the GM. After a couple weeks it became obvious. I made a post about a move we had made and 10 different posters(led by CPK...lol) swarmed on me to tell me how awful DG was. We were 13-1. 

I have never seen a group of fans that would rather lose than have a GM have any success. But that describes about 33% of this fan base. 

Preaching to the choir here my man......

I have a really simple philosophy when it comes to determining who is a better GM, coach, player, whatever.

Help us win games.

When it comes to the GM, I don't care if you cut my favorite player. I don't care if you sign a player I didn't like. I don't care if you drafted a guy I thought was terrible. I don't care whether you give interviews or not. I don't care if you're a nice guy or you act like a dick. I don't give a crap about any of that.

Build a winner. That's the only thing that matters. It's the only thing that ever did.

Marty Hurney sucks at it.

That there are people who want to argue that there is anything more important than that just makes me shake my head :eyeroll:

The Huddle is a fascinating place in that you clearly have agenda-driven members who shamelessly refuse to acknowledge the topic, much less the reasons why people think certain ways about certain issues, and stick to their tiresome, nit-so-clever modus operandi to belittle anyone that would dare disagree with them. This includes admitted dicks and trolls---effective hypocrites---that seemingly purposefully fail to see rationale, much less agree with it, in order to make themselves feel superior to those that disagree.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The Huddle is a fascinating place in that you clearly have agenda-driven members who shamelessly refuse to acknowledge the topic, much less the reasons why people think certain ways about certain issues, and stick to their tiresome, nit-so-clever modus operandi to belittle anyone that would dare disagree with them. This includes admitted dicks and trolls---effective hypocrites---that seemingly purposefully fail to see rationale, much less agree with it, in order to make themselves feel superior to those that disagree.

Oh, the irony :)

2 minutes ago, Toomers said:

You brought up the Steelers. An organization that would NEVER employ someone with Hurneys resume. You then proceeded to disregard and relevant fact associated with him(30-50 forgot we won last week, O playoffs, 0 winning seasons, 25% success rate.) Those are facts. You trying to claim others judge GMs differently, is an opinion. An unexplained and laughable one. Then it’s wherever you can put the goalposts down to keep the focus away from the facts. 

Your failure to realize and acknowledge that Tepper sees things differently is what's laughable, and your desire to belabor the point would be pure comical but for your polluting these threads with your whiny bullshit.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I have a really simple philosophy when it comes to determining who is better GM, coach, player, whatever.

Help us win games.

When it comes to the GM, I don't care if you cut my favorite player. I don't care if you sign a player I didn't like. I don't care if you drafted a guy I thought was terrible. I don't care whether you give interviews or not. I don't care if you're a nice guy or you act like a dick. I don't give a crap about any of that.

Build a winner. That's the only thing that matters. It's the only thing that ever did.

Marty Hurney sucks at it.

I watched the 70s Steelers ripped apart while I was still a teenager. That and the salary cap about 5 years later, turned everyone into a name and number. Except for Cam and that’s because of Auburn. 

I’d trade my son if it helped the team. 

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Your failure to realize and acknowledge that Tepper sees things differently is what's laughable, and your desire to belabor the point would be pure comical but for your polluting these threads with your whiny bullshit.

And from page one to this post, your failure to come up with anything factual to back up that opinion on Tepper/Steelers. You just keep deflecting onto posters because you can’t logically argue against the mountain of evidence against having Hurney as GM. We don’t seem to have these issues with other GMs and the same coach. Maybe Tepper sees that FACT.

11 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

But I also said, and I still believe it, he'll never have success playing with his hand on the ground.  As someone else has pointed out up-thread, he's already 25.  Draft him at age 21 and start building him?  You might have a decent shot of him getting bigger as well maintaining his primary weapon, his speed.  

25?  Too late.  They might get him bigger, but all that's going to do is damage the one thing he's naturally good at.

Haynes in this last draft was as clear a candidate for development as a 3-4 OLB as it can get.  Yet we drafted him to "develop" him to put his hand on the ground.  Insanity.

Didn't realize he was that old.  You could be right, but being that I am not really familiar with strength and conditioning and pro football, specifically how it relates to age and physiology, I'll hold on to a modicum of optimism. 25 is still relatively young. You may be absolutely right though. 

I absolutely believe that we need to invest in the position notwithstanding Haynes or anyone else though. If he turns out being cut for lack of fit, then I won't see it as a huge loss.

18 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I think we had that discussion. I knew you saw the same games. Didn’t have the frame to put on weight. Much more of a 3-4 edge, and even light for that. 

Should have took Crosby, and that ain’t hindsight. Many wanted it then. @stbugs for sure was one.

Or the year before when D. Hall should have been Carl Lawson and Eddie Jackson. Think those two would help a little. 

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's a simple quiz, Dawg.

Which GM built more winning teams / had a better winning percentage?

FYI: If you try to spin the answer in any way whatsoever, you lose.

Which GM? What the fug are you arguing (Mickey Loomis, Kevin Colbert, IDK)? This isn't a quiz about Gettleman and Hurney. You're giving the perfect example as to exactly what I've insinuated about you and your straw man arguments. The better question for this thread would be "How long has it been since we've had such a good draft as we did in 2017?"

If you want to start an argument about Hurney vs. Gettleman, then go look back in your post history and pull one back to the front page. 

Just now, top dawg said:

Which GM? What the fug are you arguing (Mickey Loomis)? This isn't a quiz about Gettleman and Hurney. You're giving the perfect example as to exactly what I've insinuated about you and your straw man arguments. The better question for this thread would be "How long has it been since we've had such a good draft as we did in 2017?"

If you want to start an argument about Hurney vs. Gettleman, then go look back in your post history and pull one back to the front page. 

Just what I expected.

You lose :)

Archived