• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anthem (the Game! Not the book!)

d-dave

Anyone planning on playing this game?

This is the main project BioWare has been working on for a long time.  They say that it's "YOUR story, OUR world."  Meaning the story action and consequences happen in a single player space/hub, but it doesn't limit you from exploring and playing anything with your friends.

It's a 3rd person shooter where you are a Freelancer (rogue on the edge of society, slightly shady rep) who pilots a javelin suit (Mech/Iron Man) which fly and each has their own abilities and specialties.  Combat is based on synergy between players abilities more so than the guns.  I have a feeling the guns are going to get buffed before launch.  Since you can fly, there is a lot of verticality to the spaces.  

The Pre Order Demo happens this weekend.   Next weekend is the general Demo for everyone.  Launch is Feb 22.

To the EA dead horse issue:  loot boxes.  Simply put, there are zero loot boxes.  Instead, you will be able to straight buy cosmetic items through a store.  See it, want it, buy it.  Very simple.  All DLC will be free in order to keep the community together.

Overall, this seems like an interesting game.  I'm curious to see how it goes.  I did pre-order and this weekend will determine if I keep it or cancel it.

I received a code from a buddy for this weekend. I'll give it a shot (on PC), but I'll admit that I'm being cautious. I feel like it's a mix of Warframe and Destiny. I loved Destiny, but I may be over these RPGs with no end games for a while. I'm just getting tired of doing the same missions in order to try and get better loot, I guess. That's probably why I'm loving BFV right now.

Im playing the VIP demo this weekend.  Just logged out.

Coming off of a few months of Warframe this feels like an appropriate evolution.

So far so good.  Its not without the server issues that should be expected with a demo/beta but that not withstanding Im cautiously optimistic.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, Arroz con Panther said:

I received a code from a buddy for this weekend. I'll give it a shot (on PC), but I'll admit that I'm being cautious. I feel like it's a mix of Warframe and Destiny. I loved Destiny, but I may be over these RPGs with no end games for a while. I'm just getting tired of doing the same missions in order to try and get better loot, I guess. That's probably why I'm loving BFV right now.

It's pretty much Destiny and Warframe, and I think little to no PVP.

I watched a lot of streams, and it LOOKS cool but it seems.... lifeless a bit to me?   I also heard the PC version is meh because it's basically a port so the menus and inventory are a bit annoying.

Will keep an eye out on it though.

Honestly, I'm not sure where I stand right now. It seems like a mixture of destiny, warframe, and the division. I think the gameplay has promise but I can see it getting repetitive. I also find myself lost. I played with two other friends and it's not really easy to follow where everyone is at or really what the objective is. I do love the customization. I wish you knew what type of loot you were picking up though. Currently, you only find out after the mission is over. This game was not made for kb/m. The game instantly became more fun when I started using a controller. Also, I was one of the unlucky ones that kept getting the stall on the loading screen.

I'm guessing I won't get it at launch. I think it's going to be plagued with issues, but it does have promise. I'll end up getting it a month or two after release of there's still a good player base or if I have friends to play with. Otherwise, I'll probably pass. 

I managed to play a mission today after my son stope it yesterday, lol.

My hope is that the story carries the game.  The game play is fun, but not greatly engaging.  I'll be glad to play the story, and if that's the end, then its ok with me.

Playing on Normal today led to a bunch of loot, which is fun for now.  But it was super easy.  I've heard hard is super punishing.  

It played great on my OG Xbox One, which was nice.

So I was thinking about what's going to really hurt Anthem in the short term and how it could survive long term.

First, if they don't get the infinite loading screens, logging in and random crashes sorted out by the open demo on Feb 1, they are going to be screwed.  I think short term, the 3D game play is quite novel.  The combo mechanics are cool and powerful.  The customization is freaking amazing!  Playing robo dress up is so much fun.  But after a time, that will all fade.  They are going to have to keep introducing more gear, more story, and things that will drive gamers to keep coming back.

What would keep me coming back?  Achievements and cool cosmetic rewards.  Introducing variety into the game play loop.  So by this point, MANY have done the stronghold in the demo.  Heck, folks were speed running it this weekend.  Gamers are creatures of comfort, especially in looter shooters.  They will do the same thing over and over to get rewards faster and easier.  I think they are going to have to start putting in special loot for different strongholds.  Otherwise everyone will put big spider butt on repeat just because it's easy to them.

They will also need to put more rewards in for exploration.  Making free play much more compelling.  Lore collectibles will keep people coming back as well.  They just have to keep adding it.  I think BioWare is going to learn that these games as a service are really HARD.  They are going to need a lot of work adding new content regularly.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the game later in Feb.  I hope they are able to keep us interested so that there is more competition in D2 and the Division 2's space.  More competition should, ideally, make them all better.

Played the open demo this weekend.

I didnt have the connection issues that me or my guys ran into last weekend.

The game mechanics and playstyle is strong and as long as they can deliver content in the actual game it could have real legs.

Got a taste of a world event this afternoon with a storm spawning boss level mobs.  Pretty cool.

I played for a little bit, but have been ravenously consuming all the other information I could get on the game.

I think Anthem is a fun game.  The mechanics are interesting, the environment incredible, the loot is fun (but that well will get dry I'm sure).  Overall, I'm really excited for the game.

That being said, what will Anthem become?  I'm totally fine if it's a 100-200 hour game that I play for a little bit when new (free) content comes out.  This doesn't have to be a lifestyle game a la Destiny.  It can be a fun game you play now and then, play with you friends, get rewards and progress and move on.  Without PVP, they have a lot more freedom for crazy OP builds in the game, which you can in turn grind for in your time.

If it's fun, with a good BioWare story, and the builds are worthwhile to grind for, then it becomes much more Diablo than Destiny.  I'm honestly fine with that.  I enjoyed Ash Titan hunting and doing world events.  The combo system is quite fun.  I can't wait for launch!

1 hour ago, Skack25 said:

Super on the fence about this one, and didn't even play the demo to test it out.  My concern is that I will play this until The Division 2 comes out then put it on the shelf.

I'm not sure how I feel about more Division.  I loved the first division, but after 10 hours, I got bored.  I never made it past level 18.  The concept was cool, the story and world building was fantastic.  The combat, 90% of how you play the game, was just so boring.  Get the best marksman rifle and some other gun you love, and hide behind a wall.  Maybe I missed things because I was so wrapped up in Destiny...

How does Division 2 improve on the base game?  I guess I should go back to playing the first Division because I haven't touched in since 1.8...

Archived