• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston has interest in coming back

Crazydounut

Just now, Bronn said:

Also, Tre Boston isn't worth 9 Mil a year. Landon Collins would cost less than that even, IMHO. The safety market was somewhat brought back down to earth last offseason, when guys weren't getting the offers they thought they should have, Boston included.

I never hated on Boston the way a lot of people here did and still do, but if we're going to make an honest effort to bring in really good players, there are quite a few that are better than Boston.

Yeah. Tbh ion know what the guy was thinking with a 9 mil per year contract. But I do want to see us get someone at safety. Boston would be good at a lower price. Collins or Clinton-Dix would be best

4 minutes ago, t96 said:

$9m per is wayyy too much for a safety for us

Yeah, that's an insane figure. Especially considering how soft the FA safety market was last year. Boston isn't coming anywhere close to that. 4 year/$36M for Tre Boston? LOLOLOL!

I intially really that as a 4 year/$9M deal. That seems more like it, but you rarely see deals for multiple years with that low of a figure. I'd expect a 1-2 year deal in that same $2Mish per year range. That seems an acceptable figure for Boston and would still give him an opportunity to cash in if he plays well since he's only 26. A two year deal would put him back on the market at 28. A four year deal and he'd be 30. You're not cashing in as a 30 year old safety, but at 28 you have a shot.

not gonna look up numbers but IIRC Honey Badger only got like 7M for a one year deal last year, and he was the top S on the market...

I expect Clinton-Dix (the top one this time maybe?) to get no more than 8M a year for no more than three years.

It is odd, because the league has turned into a passing league, and safeties are the last line of defense. You'd think they would have more leverage. I suppose in today's defenses they are seen more as run support and big play stoppers.

It seems pass-rushers have cornered the market when it comes to impactful pass defenders.

3 minutes ago, Bronn said:

not gonna look up numbers but IIRC Honey Badger only got like 7M for a one year deal last year, and he was the top S on the market...

I expect Clinton-Dix (the top one this time maybe?) to get no more than 8M a year for no more than three years.

It is odd, because the league has turned into a passing league, and safeties are the last line of defense. You'd think they would have more leverage. I suppose in today's defenses they are seen more as run support and big play stoppers.

It seems pass-rushers have cornered the market when it comes to impactful pass defenders.

In what universe is Clinton-Dix considered the top safety available over Landon Collins?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Clinton-Dix is this year's version of Tre Boston last year. A guy who expects to cash in only to find his market a lot softer than he expected. I just don't think he's all that good.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

In what universe is Clinton-Dix considered the top safety available over Landon Collins?

not mine, but I think general consensus is that he is... IIRC There were a few teams trying to trade for him at the deadline, and I think some see Collins as a little banged up.

1 minute ago, PantherPhann89 said:

I'm sure that Trey Boston has improved since his stint here in Carolina but we're trying to become great for the long haul. Let's ignore the urge to constantly want to merge the past with our future and simply build our future with players and staff that's willing to buy in now. 

I don't think Ron sees safety as a position to invest for the long haul. We've always made do with mid-late round draft picks and/or afterthought free agents. I don't expect that to change.

live in the past if you want but he's put up two solid seasons since being cut(which shouldn't have happened in the first place). at the very least dude is good depth and he does play the pass pretty well, his issue previously was wrapping up and not shoulder bashing players instead. Def a guy i would pair with reid or another s in fa 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't think Ron sees safety as a position to invest for the long haul. We've always made do with mid-late round draft picks and/or afterthought free agents. I don't expect that to change.

You're still in the past. I believe that a new future is on the horizon with Tepper. I don't think that he'll sit back and stack up wins.

8 minutes ago, PantherPhann89 said:

You're still in the past. I believe that a new future is on the horizon with Tepper. I don't think that he'll sit back and stack up wins.

I don't think the owner is going to influence the coach's philosophies. If he wants a coach with different philosophies then he should've fired Ron. Ron has made it pretty clear that he values building his defenses around the front seven and that safeties have the lowest positional value in his defense. All you have to do is look at our roster building history while Ron has been here. Whether it's been Gettleman or Hurney at GM, our resources have been spent on the front seven on defense. We've never drafted a DB in the 1st round or spent big money on a DB throughout Ron's tenure. We've never drafted a safety higher than the 3rd.

Archived