• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So when we line up in the 3-4...

rayzor

12 minutes ago, Cuttinedge said:

Switching to a hybrid 3-4..4-3 defense this year 

I can only assume we will be using all our timeouts now on defense to get the right personnel in. Seeing as RR has always run a tight ship in that regard 

The goal is to use the same personnel for both formations without substitutions.

These threads are popping up everywhere.  So here is what I posted in another thread 

Here you go. 

DE - Butler/ Qualls Draft- Wilkins, Jones

NT - Poe/ Hamilton Draft- Lawrence  

DE - Short/  Obada? (Just not sure he can be a stand up 3/4 OLB)  

OLB - Addison/ A. Williams  / Haynes 

ILB - Thompson / J Carter 

ILB - Kuechly / A. Smith

OLB - Irvin  / Cox. Draft- Burns, Sweat 

If we go to a full 3-4 (don’t believe it’s full time)don’t sleep on Qualls for DE. Played DE for Washington in college who runs a pure 3-4.   Everyone is raving about Khalen Saunders this year.  Qualls was the same kind of guy last year. He is explosive and can also do back flips.  Damn, I have a hard time getting my fat ass out of a chair anymore let alone a back flip.  But he is probably just a depth piece.

Also in a 3-4  J Carter is confusing to me. Although @ncfan  pointed out there are multiple teams who have ILB who are 230lbs.   I simply question his ability to shed blocks on the inside  

A. Williams is a really raw kid but at 6’3” 247 he would fit a OLB.   But he would have to learn it.   He played MLB growing up and SLB for Detroit.  Decent prospect to develop but that may take a bit.  

Plus a lot of these guys would have to loose or gain a ton of weight   Then who knows how they will play .  

Im still on the fence about this if it is going to be a full 3-4 transition.   I think I like the hybrid idea a little better   But I also agree it’s easier to get 3-4 OLB’s all over the draft unlike 4-3 de’s that you have to be in the top 10 to get a good one.   Look at Zadarius Smith.  The Ravens got him in the 4th  at pick #122 and will turn around and get a 3rd rd comp for him after he leaves.  Haynes could turn out to be really good if we run a 3-4.   That’s how you retool a defense consistently.  

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not overly high on Gary, but that's because I honestly didn't buy into this 3-4 talk and I think his best NFL position is 3-4 DE. But, if we're truly going to a 3-4 and he's there at #16...

I just don't think he'll be there. His visit list is riddled with top 10 teams.

I am warming up to your guy Wilkins as our 1st round pick.  While I want a Edge guy I think the only one left will be Ferrell and I am not sold on him, especially in a hybrid or 3/4. Due to the fact that teams drop the NT when they play nickel in a 3/4 we need a guy who can both play the run and rush the passer.  He would fit nicely. Maybe Jones in the second for that role but he isn’t as good against the run as Wilkins. 

I am with you about Gary.  Would give us some good flexibility.  Although his analytics scare me.  Would not mind Oliver if he drops either.  

Archived