• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafttek Mock Draft (April 17th)

kungfoodude

Ferrell is plug and play. We need immediate help there. Seems like a no brainer. Burns intrigues me more, but i could see him taking longer to adjust. Plus he fits that more 3-4 olb type. Right now we have one legit 4-3 end in Addison, need another there. Also, need another bruce irvin type. Maybe later in the draft? 

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Well the counter argument to that would be that quite a few of those guys that haven't improved technically at the point in which they are being drafted(which would usually be at least 3 years in a college program) have probably not been lacking in coaching. Especially at these football factory schools, you have ample opportunity to get that kind of instruction. And you have the ability to improve on all of those skills on your own time even when you are restricted by NCAA rules. 

So, if you are still being regarded as a guy that has great "potential" but haven't really realized it, are you that good of a prospect? Sometimes those guys suffer from being great athletes without the drive to be great football players.

Pretty much my thoughts on Gary. JH believed to be a great defensive coach, Michigan in general a great program, but Gary was lacking in technique or coaching? Just don’t think the guy has it. 

And to expand and on my previous comment, I’m not saying it’s bad to have a good combine or whatever. Just saying someone that’s improved every year in college and has that elite production should also have “upside.” Males hit their athletic peaks when, mid 20s? Don’t see why CF or others couldn’t improve athletically, especially when they’re now being paid millions to do so

1 minute ago, Panthero said:

Ferrell is plug and play. We need immediate help there. Seems like a no brainer. Burns intrigues me more, but i could see him taking longer to adjust. Plus he fits that more 3-4 olb type. Right now we have one legit 4-3 end in Addison, need another there. Also, need another bruce irvin type. Maybe later in the draft? 

See, Im talking 2 DE in this draft like that.  Like Ferrell and Jelks or Chase Winovich or even a bigger one like Zach Allen or Joe Jackson that could float between 3-4 end and strong side end.  2 defensive end types or if they are really pushing more 3-4 looks, get a big OLB like a Christian Miller or something.

3 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

Here's an example of when people use "upside" 

Safety

258.png&h=110&w=110&transparent=true

Juan Thornhill, Virginia

What do NFL teams love most in a prospect? Athleticism and versatility. Thornhill has both. He played cornerback and safety for the Cavaliers, picking off 13 passes in his career. And he finished first among safeties in the vertical leap (44 inches) and broad jump (141 inches) at the combine, where he also ran a 4.42 40. He has tremendous upside.

Projection: Second round

per-Mel Kiper.

Thornhill also looks the part on tape. 

I think we we can both agree good tape plus good combine = upside 

2 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Joey bosa ran a 4.9, was that worrying?

i hear that dudes doing ok now

I dont think most watch the tape, they just get in bands of fans or haters in groups. I watch the film-- like Burns. His film he gets one hand stuffed a lot-- literally.  The good plays he gets that outside step and gets around the slower guy. If hes untouched he looks great.  There are too many plays I saw where he got ALMOST around a guy and got stopped or even thrown down with one arm,... didnt see that with Ferrell.  Ferrells tape hes got a lot of different moves and hes got power. I saw him push OT back into the quarterback- saw him dive under, go around, swim past-- a relentless motor.  You cant teach that.

10 minutes ago, Panthers8969 said:

Thornhill also looks the part on tape. 

I think we we can both agree good tape plus good combine = upside 

Thornhill looks great— there’s several safeties there that look pretty good. 

15 minutes ago, JARROD said:

I dont think most watch the tape, they just get in bands of fans or haters in groups. I watch the film-- like Burns. His film he gets one hand stuffed a lot-- literally.  The good plays he gets that outside step and gets around the slower guy. If hes untouched he looks great.  There are too many plays I saw where he got ALMOST around a guy and got stopped or even thrown down with one arm,... didnt see that with Ferrell.  Ferrells tape hes got a lot of different moves and hes got power. I saw him push OT back into the quarterback- saw him dive under, go around, swim past-- a relentless motor.  You cant teach that.

I saw all the same things.  I don’t even know how they are on the same tier as prospects, Ferrell looks that much better on film.

9 minutes ago, NJPanthers89 said:

I saw all the same things.  I don’t even know how they are on the same tier as prospects, Ferrell looks that much better on film.

Yeh— anyone who takes the time to watch the film would see the difference. I’ve said for awhile that Burns looks like a project. He has the physical tools to grow into Von Miller but he’s not Von Miller today,... he looks like Everette Brown today— that’s not saying he will or won’t. If we draft him I have to have confidence that Hurney and Rivera don’t see him that way— but if it’s him and Ferrell and my job is on the line— Ferrell all day long.

I think this is my last first pick draft that I will post

This one had Sweat to us at 16, could have taken Ford. Ferrell was gone as he always is, so was Wilkins, so was Jonah and my other likes.

i did drop back with Patriots in 2nd and got Thornhill and Nasir— immediate DB help, then Chuma, Nate Davis, Parris Campbell— my favorite—Mack who seems to be a value DT pick, Wyatt Ray and Gant— a poor mans Hooker ha.

i like this draft— read em and weep.

7E30E834-A9E7-475F-A913-AE5D80001BE4.png

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but, frankly, that was most of the fanbase being idiots. It had nothing to do with Luke's talent level or what his evaluations were. Panthers fans thought we didn't need a LB and it was a dumb pick. 

D25F971D-B6D5-4AB7-B0FC-CC87F0685ECB.thumb.png.a6794fbad5215258df7e563945705469.pngThat is him actually reading the negatives from  his draft evaluations. Includes not fast enough or athletic enough and how his tackles were inflated, same as people saying Ferrell’s numbers were inflated because he played beside good players. Anyone just reading that , that did not actually watch him play would be sitting there saying I can’t believe we took that guy with the 8th pick...game tape counts for a lot more than what somebody writes about them on a piece of paper

Archived