• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To all of you who are complaining about not addressing the safety position........

Lloyd Christmas

13 hours ago, YETI said:

We had Coleman and Harper. Before that we had Mitchell and Mikel. 

Teams that won the SBs recently had guys like Thomas, Chancellor, Ward, Stewart, Jenkins and even Patriots had Chung, Harmon and Mccourty. 

Harper at the end of his career? Coleman, a career journeyman? Mitchell? 

Those are all terrible examples to support your argument. They were good players, that ended up playing the roll for us adequately. 

I'm pretty confident we can get similar play with what we have, especially with a consistent pass rush. 

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

It does when everyone said that the hole in NO OL was C and the hole in our OL was LT. I’m saying that I think there’s a good chance they plugged their hole with a better player than we did. That’s what I meant by anchor. They didn’t need a LT.

I guess I’m just confused by your underlying point. C is a wayyyyy easier position to fill than an LT, so it was always going to be much easier and much more likely for them to fix their hole than ours. Interior o-line is a much safer transition to the NFL than OTs, so it’s easier to say that they drafted a “better player” at C relative to our LT. Plus they gave up a future 2nd to move up to get that C.

Everything you’re saying is just in line with how the draft naturally works.

If Team A had a hole at QB but filled their hole with the 3rd best QB at pick 8 who is presumably still starting-caliber, and Team B had a hole at SS and drafted the top SS in the draft at pick 23, would you be praising Team B because their safety was a better player amongst his position than Team A’s quarterback was amongst his? Different positions have different values of course.

This is how I look at it: 

Football starts in the trenches, and our pass rush was absolutely atrocious last season. We addressed that in the draft. A strong d line can make safety’s look a lot better. Additionally, we desperately needed a backup qb. The backup qb is a vital position in football. If Cam goes down, we don’t have to throw dudes like Heinecke or Kyle Allen out there. 

To those complaining that we didn’t get a safety in rounds 4-7, what are the chances we find our answer there? I trust the staff to bring in a solid vet FA safety. 

Overall, I liked this draft. 

1 hour ago, Tarheels23 said:

That’s not quitting, that’s letting up when he shouldn’t have, looked like Bradberry had him and Tre just let up after he thought Bradberry was gonna make the tackle 

21 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you have help over the top you don't need to be playing CBs 10 yards off the LOS.

a lot of that cushion was because our CBs sucked or were young, coupled with the fact that our pass rush was toast. 

with a good pass rush and better corners, we dont need to play off the ball as much, infact, its best to jam those recievers and play tight

we played off the ball primarily because we didnt have faith our pass rush would get there in time, allowing time for deep routes to develop, where we need saftey help

we now have a much improved pass rush and much better corners. we arent foing to get burnt deep because of a saftey (edit: in 2 seconds like OP claims, like all day they are just gunna chuck it deep.  that our pass rush wont have any effect because the ball will get out quick   . and it may, but itll be underneath or over the middle, but not deep. a QB aint going deep with a pass rush getting there in 2 seconds)

i agree a need a saftey but his reasoning was off to me

Archived