• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bench: I’m going to keep Will Grier safe

therealmjl

Truth is Cam hasn't been healthy for a full season since 2015. His style of play warrants having a competent backup on hand due to the physicality with which he plays.

We took a flier on a QB with upside in the 3rd round. Generally speaking, you don't find starting QB talent after the 1st. Those threatened by the move are idiots. Those expecting him to immediately take over from Cam are idiots. 

Just be happy we have a plan B in the event Cam goes down again so we won't be completely SOL.

I think some people are taking this whole grier thing a bit too seriously, both for and against. He's just a guy at this point, a guy that I hope we don't have to resort to because then that means something bad happened and I don't like it when bad things happen. Nothing against grier, I just hope we don't need him to step in.

OP was obviously meant to be a joke that, unless you want grier to start, no one should get riled up by.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

I think some people are taking this whole grier thing a bit too seriously, both for and against. He's just a guy at this point, a guy that I hope we don't have to resort to because then that means something bad happened and I don't like it when bad things happen. Nothing against grier, I just hope we don't need him to step in.

OP was obviously meant to be a joke that, unless you want grier to start, no one should get riled up by.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's always going to happen with every team. The backup QB is gonna be popular. Has no bearing on the starter. Picking a backup QB with what's essentially an early fourth-round pick is not stupid when the only other QBs are unproven UDFAs who didn't survive an entire game, let alone a season.

Yep. Always the most popular guy on the team, the backup QB for a struggling team.

16 minutes ago, rayzor said:

All of our draft picks are "just a guy" at this point. Do you see anyone saying they hope that Brian Burns fails?

People are being stupid about Grier because it's Newton he's backing up.

20 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Truth is Cam hasn't been healthy for a full season since 2015. His style of play warrants having a competent backup on hand due to the physicality with which he plays.

We took a flier on a QB with upside in the 3rd round. Generally speaking, you don't find starting QB talent after the 1st. Those threatened by the move are idiots. Those expecting him to immediately take over from Cam are idiots. 

Just be happy we have a plan B in the event Cam goes down again so we won't be completely SOL.

All valid.

Darin Gantt likes to say that Cam Newton makes people stupid. Unfortunately, I think it's broader than that. Quarterbacks make people stupid.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

All valid.

Darin Gantt likes to say that Cam Newton makes people stupid. Unfortunately, I think it's broader than that. Quarterbacks make people stupid.

It’s even broader than that.

people make people stupid

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

All of our draft picks are "just a guy" at this point. Do you see anyone saying they hope that Brian Burns fails?

People are being stupid about Grier because it's Newton he's backing up.

Totally different situation. Burns and Little were drafted to be starters, which we absolutely want to use. Grier was drafted to be a backup...and not just for anyone, for the most important part of the offense. Its a role we absolutely do not want to resort to. 

Its not wishing or hoping he fails. Its hoping we don't have to use him. What's so bad or hard to understand about that?

3 minutes ago, mjligon said:

It’s even broader than that.

people make people stupid

Hoping a guy we used a 3rd round pick on plays poorly, whether it's because you care more about one player than you so the team or because it'll make certain fans get riled up or frankly any other reason, is stupid.

The state of the DE, and Tackle positions have been growing increasingly dire for a number of years now.

Comparing us drafting at both those positions early to drafting a QB when we have Cam Newton is grasping a bit.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Totally different situation. Burns and Little were drafted to be starters, which we absolutely want to use. Grier was drafted to be a backup...and not just for anyone, for the most important part of the offense. Its a role we absolutely do not want to resort to. 

Its not wishing or hoping he fails. Its hoping we don't have to use him. What's so bad or hard to understand about that?

Because that's not all that's happening.

When you've got people saying stuff like "can't wait till he throws a bunch of interceptions", "I'm gonna have a lot of fun when he looks bad" or "gonna hate if he plays well because people will react", that's being asinine.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Hoping a guy we used a 3rd round pick on plays poorly, whether it's because you care more about one player than you so the team or because it'll make certain fans get riled up or frankly any other reason, is stupid.

Just who is hoping he plays poorly? No one is saying or implying that. 

Archived