• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Is The Statement Of Statement Games.

top dawg

The Huddle has been discussing Jake so much (and to my chagrin, rightly so) that perhaps we are losing the dramatic---almost theatrical---undertone to this game. This game should be very entertaining from that perspective.

This game will be the second part of the story. Of course Jake is the central character. He's trying to come full circle, and get that gigantic cardinal off his back while simultaneously snatching his foot out of the grave that the Cardinals began to dig for him. But we must look at Coach Fox and Davidson as well. Will they be able to rebound from their coaching bewilderment, apparently caused by seeing who they deem as their only viable option tank last January, and redevelop the trust in the QB that helped make people believe that they actually are doing more on the sidelines than just being helpless spectators like the rest of us? Can they actually carry out an effective game plan if Jake starts slinging the ball to the other side, or putting it on the ground? Will that be their only emphasis on the "ground game", or will they actually try to get Williams and Stewart involved in the flow of the game against the league's best run defense? Will Fox pull his beloved Jake if the game starts getting away from the Cool Cajun?

Then enter Meeks---the new kid on the block. Realizing that he was brought here because of the second-half-of-the-season faltering of a defense that culminated in a defensive debacle of gargantuan proportions, will his defense, ranked first against the pass in the NFL, be up to the task of stopping a repeat performance by Fitzgerald and other Cardinals that were let loose from their cages and dropped bombs of whoop ass as they flew all over the field last January? Will the defense be punked twice in a row, or will a few months of stewing over a meltdown make the vets give payback in the form of pain? Perhaps the naiveté or the enthusiasm of the rookies will help take the air out of the sails of the Cardinal passing attack.

This is the second part of the story. Either the regime, and perhaps some key players, will go down in flames, or rise above the ashes.

Guys and gals, take a moment to catch your breath from the rants. Wipe the tear out of your eye and get over your current disappointment for a few hours. Appreciate the Shakespearean nature of the moment and enjoy viewing the soap opera that will end all of our troubles either sooner or later, one way or another.

i know what you're saying.

people are hoping that this is a watershed moment.

it makes for a great story but i'm just thinking that the story of the year is just more of the same. you have a QB who has just barely been able to keep his head above water for most of his career as a starter who falls apart but his coaches and team aren't ready to admit it and move on so the whole team suffers because of their loyalty.

this whole year has been miserable for the team and the tone was set in that january game followed with peppers making a disappointing end even more disappointing. losing kemo in the first 20 minutes of training camp didn't help either. then came the losing every game in preseason. then came the week 1 game against the eagles.

2009 is a year that i just want to get over with. best thing that can happen is a fresh start.

it would be great if this was the week that they turned everything around and became a force that kicks in every team and doubters teeth.

i just don't believe anymore. i don't believe that this team has the ability to move on and it all starts at the top with fox. he sets the tone and the tone is complacency.

i would like to be shown that i'm wrong. i would like to be frying up a big old crow and chowing it down when all is said and done. i just don't see that happening. we aren't the worst in the league but that doesn't matter. i want us to be the best and with fox/jake...that isn't happening. they had a chance. they could have made it happen but that moment passed, imo.

I think Monsta said it. It has the possibility of being the Wally Pip game on many fronts:

Jarret starting instead of Moose.

Sherrod Martin over Godfrey

Barnidge over Rosario

And the coup de grace if he stinks it up the first half

Moore over Delhomme.

Either way, it's gonna be exciting to watch.

I am getting ready to watch some football, but I just wanted to tell y'all, again, to enjoy the game, people...regardless of the outcome. Either way "a change gon' come, oh yes it will."

I am really looking forward to seeing what the rookies have (and the vets for that matter). This game will be like a microscope/magnifying glass, depending on how you look at it, as to the true character of our team (on the field and on the sidelines).

i do not believe jake can "turn around" and play fairly good today or ever. he's problem is mental, he lost his self confidence. yes, he'll throw a good pass once in a while but it wont be consistent.

i hope he doesnt turn suicidal and try to rush and hope to get hit and injured so he wont play no more.

Archived