• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mandalorian

Ja  Rhule

Chapter 7 was great! I still like Chapter 6 best so far, but that shootout was impressive, and there was great, earned tension in the speederbike chase at the end.

To those saying this show is just a Xena Warrior Princess adventure show with no character development: well, first, so what? That's awesome!

Second, there's one thing that really sets this show apart from the SyFy serials and the 90s era adventure yarns; Production Value. The show looks great. It has amazing effects, tons of extras, and brings attention to detail and impressive action to the small screen. And if you're questioning the value "Star Wars" adds to the 90s adventure formula; it demands the production and budget that no other property could dream of. If it weren't "Star Wars" it would look like Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

8 hours ago, Captroop said:

Chapter 7 was great! I still like Chapter 6 best so far, but that shootout was impressive, and there was great, earned tension in the speederbike chase at the end.

To those saying this show is just a Xena Warrior Princess adventure show with no character development: well, first, so what? That's awesome!

Second, there's one thing that really sets this show apart from the SyFy serials and the 90s era adventure yarns; Production Value. The show looks great. It has amazing effects, tons of extras, and brings attention to detail and impressive action to the small screen. And if you're questioning the value "Star Wars" adds to the 90s adventure formula; it demands the production and budget that no other property could dream of. If it weren't "Star Wars" it would look like Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog.

I didn't particularly like those 90's adventure/sci-fi shows. Not many of them, anyway. So, the increased production value isn't enough to win me over alone, nor is it just being a "Star Wars" vehicle. I would honestly like to see something a little grittier and with some more originality from Star Wars.

I think my axe to grind is that in that specific universe, Lucas was able to be original with the first trilogy and even the second trilogy(although it had some issues, it was original). Furthermore even some of the supporting material over the years in the form of books and video games has featured some excellent and original material. 

The bulk of Disney's content(outside of Rogue One and perhaps Solo) has been extremely derivative and wholly unoriginal, IMO. The new trilogy feels more like an homage to the original. Heck, you can see some shot by shot remakes of scenes from those movies in the films. And I can also understand from Disney's perspective the need to "play it safe" with their newly acquired IP. 

I was hoping The Mandalorian was going to be some fresh content and some welcome originality. Instead, it has been mostly regurgitating old sets and even characters. Not in a particularly palatable package, in my personal opinion. 

As I said in a prior post, I'm jaded and spoiled by access to great dramatic content in the modern era. It would be fantastic to see that in a Star Wars show. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

As I said in a prior post, I'm jaded and spoiled by access to great dramatic content in the modern era. It would be fantastic to see that in a Star Wars show. 

I want to address this point in particular, because you've hit something dead on that perhaps is why I'm so invested in Mandalorian.

I am relieved it's just a TV show.

You're 100% right. We're in a new golden age of television, with shows being every bit as prestigious and regarded as movies, attracting big name directors and A-list TV stars. The plotlines are rich, complex, and carefully weave season-long plot arcs. But, that's morphed into something that's just so. fuging. tiring.

Every show now is an epic. Every TV show episode now isn't an "episode," it's a single segment of a 8 to 12 hour movie. If you miss one episode you're SOL. If you wait a couple weeks between episodes and pick it back up, you're like "who is that guy again? Why are they going to the Kingdom of Glahgul again? Why did she say that thing about the money so meaningfully, was that about something that happened in a previous episode?" It's the same reason I can't get into modern fantasy and SciFi. No one tells a story in one book. "This is book one of nine of the thrilling Light of Everdark series!" Like, fug! Will someone just tell me a story?

I love just being able to come home, pop down in a chair and watch a complete story, beginning, middle and end. Which is why Chapter 6 is my favorite. It's just a jailbreak caper. Characters are introduced, we start out with a plan, there's a betrayal, and a resolution. All in one episode. Done! It's exactly what I need.

With all these series floating around, and each one being a huge investment of time and energy to follow along with, I'm just happy to have a TV show that's a damn fine TV show.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Valid but I am not a child now. 

we have all the politics we need in the real world, can we not have some free range fun?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/80602/8-reasons-thinking-child-will-make-you-happier

7. THEY’RE DECISIVE.

Ask a kid what they want to do right now, and they’ll shout the first thing that comes to mind, whether it’s to ride their bike, go to outer space, or pet a rabbit. It might not make sense, sure, but when faced with an abundance of options, they weren’t paralyzed with indecision. Nowadays, committing to a simple choice can be debilitating … and a common roadblock to happiness. Based on a pyschology researcher’s findings, “satisficers”—those who opt to make a good-enough choice rather than agonize over what the “best” one is—have less anxiety and more emotional stability than “maximizers” who weigh every possibility thoroughly before coming to a conclusion. 

21 hours ago, Captroop said:

I want to address this point in particular, because you've hit something dead on that perhaps is why I'm so invested in Mandalorian.

I am relieved it's just a TV show.

You're 100% right. We're in a new golden age of television, with shows being every bit as prestigious and regarded as movies, attracting big name directors and A-list TV stars. The plotlines are rich, complex, and carefully weave season-long plot arcs. But, that's morphed into something that's just so. fuging. tiring.

Every show now is an epic. Every TV show episode now isn't an "episode," it's a single segment of a 8 to 12 hour movie. If you miss one episode you're SOL. If you wait a couple weeks between episodes and pick it back up, you're like "who is that guy again? Why are they going to the Kingdom of Glahgul again? Why did she say that thing about the money so meaningfully, was that about something that happened in a previous episode?" It's the same reason I can't get into modern fantasy and SciFi. No one tells a story in one book. "This is book one of nine of the thrilling Light of Everdark series!" Like, fug! Will someone just tell me a story?

I love just being able to come home, pop down in a chair and watch a complete story, beginning, middle and end. Which is why Chapter 6 is my favorite. It's just a jailbreak caper. Characters are introduced, we start out with a plan, there's a betrayal, and a resolution. All in one episode. Done! It's exactly what I need.

With all these series floating around, and each one being a huge investment of time and energy to follow along with, I'm just happy to have a TV show that's a damn fine TV show.

That is actually where I really enjoy a show like True Detective. It's a happy medium. Not a multi-season epic nor a bunch of 30 min to hour little vignettes, but a single season of fresh writing and fresh characters. I'd love to see something similar from the Star Wars franchise. Give me a small group of characters for a well scripted 8-10 episode story arc. Like you said, a single book, not a multi novel epic nor a comic book. 

5 minutes ago, Jangler said:

we have all the politics we need in the real world, can we not have some free range fun?

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/80602/8-reasons-thinking-child-will-make-you-happier

7. THEY’RE DECISIVE.

Ask a kid what they want to do right now, and they’ll shout the first thing that comes to mind, whether it’s to ride their bike, go to outer space, or pet a rabbit. It might not make sense, sure, but when faced with an abundance of options, they weren’t paralyzed with indecision. Nowadays, committing to a simple choice can be debilitating … and a common roadblock to happiness. Based on a pyschology researcher’s findings, “satisficers”—those who opt to make a good-enough choice rather than agonize over what the “best” one is—have less anxiety and more emotional stability than “maximizers” who weigh every possibility thoroughly before coming to a conclusion. 

I was decisive. I decided I didn't like the poo they were shoveling at me. 

:shades:

Archived