• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Untouchable Mock (Final Update)

Untouchable

So the team’s personnel losses are well stated.  They also traded Turner for Okung.  Picked up Teddy Bridgewater, PJ Walker, Robby Anderson, Seth Roberts, Pharoh Cooper, Keith Kirkwood, Seth DeValve and John Miller on offense. On defense, they resigned Tre Boston while signing Juston Burris, Zach Kerr, Tahir Whitehead and Stephen Weatherly.

So in theory they have starters everywhere except CB but in practice they could use upgrades almost everywhere on the roster.  As a “retooling” team they should target players to get them out of their most expensive contracts for aging players as well.  Which means UT and OC become critical because of Short and Paradis.

Looking at expiring contracts, if you’re not going to resign Samuel or Moton then WR and OT become needs too.  OG definitely is as well and at the very least depth at NT and RB.

1(7) CJ Henderson, CB, Florida – Okudah is the dream scenario, trading back is next best.  If I’m stuck here then it comes down to 3 players, Brown, Kinlaw and Henderson.  Brown can help solve a lot of issues from last season, Kinlaw is the best bet to get me out of Short’s contract, but smart GMs spend valuable resources on the “Money 5” positions (QB, LT, DE, WR, CB).  Henderson has legitimate concerns about his tackling and ability to find and play the ball downfield but his man-2-man coverage ability is on par with Okudah.  Ideally, I don’t want this pick to be at 7 and I think the team will take Brown but I’m not projecting trades and CB is the team’s biggest need going into the draft.  PREVIOUS: Isaiah Simmons, S, Clemson

2(38) Justin Madubuike, iDL, Texas A&M – Hurney continues with his love of the SEC.  Last year his draft was almost entirely made up of SEC talent or players with multiple games against the top conference.  He’s explosive and versatile and I’ll target him to give the team additional help with it’s interior pass rush and a chance to move on from Short in a year. Igbinoghene would be a great pick here as well whether Brown/Kinlaw is the first pick or not.  PREVIOUS: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

3(69) Cameron Dantzler, CB, Miss State – This pick looks like another great one to trade from because the rankings for players here don’t match the team’s needs very well.  Dantzler’s tape is very good, especially against the best of the SEC.  He’s very good in press and with route recognition.  Athleticism and his thin frame are concerns.  He allows the team to move Donte Jackson into the nickel at times.   PREVIOUS: Robert Hunt, OG, La Tech.

4(110) Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina – This looks like a spot the team may target a WR or Center prospect.  They need some red zone help as Samuel had almost half of their red zone receiving TDs last year so a bigger target who can break press and is good in contested situations seems perfect.  PREVIOUS: Julian Blackmon, FS, Utah

5(148) Cameron Clark, OT/G, Charlotte –  He offers depth and versatility along the line. who is still learning the position.  He has great tape against Clemson but it's inconsistent the rest of the year. I want him as a guard where he can use his nasty demeanor to open up holes on the ground. I would give some serious thought to targeting Julian Blackmon as well.  PREVIOUS: N/A

5(152) Bravvion Roy, NT, Baylor – I waited a long time to grab a NT and that probably locks in Kerr as the primary at the positon this season.  Roy’s play has improved every year and the familiarity with the staff can’t hurt.  His length and limited pass rush ability are going to hurt him but his quickness makes him a great candidate to collapse the pocket and perform as a run stuffer.  PREVIOUS: Harrison Hand, CB, Temple

6(184) Davion Taylor, LB, Colorado – He’s an athletic LB who hasn’t been playing football that long.  Easy ST at the start of his career who is so athletic he could work his way into a more pronounced role once he grasps the game better. Tulane CB Bopete Keyes would be a good target on day 3 as well, especially if the team doesn't get 2 outside CBs early.  PREVIOUS: John Hightower, WR, Boise St

7(221) Lavonta Taylor, CB, Florida St. – This feels like a Hurney prospect.  Freak athletic who was highly touted going into college but who hasn’t lived up to the hype for one reason or another.  Injuries played a big part here but his versatility (time at FS too) and athleticism are worth taking a shot on in the nickel.  PREVIOUS: Davion Taylor, LB, Colorado

I missed on center help in this mock which I think is critical either this year or next but trade down (or up) scenarios with our 1st or 3rd round picks could help pick up that piece to start grooming for the future.  I think RB, QB and TE will come into play after the draft where I think the team will target alot of UDFA to fit the new culture and to steal several sports from veterans (especially vets in depth positions).  This draft is really wide open because of the unknowns with the new staffs desired prospects and the new scheme.  I can think of so many way to go about it but went with one of the more unpopular ones to be different.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, Varking said:

Picking much higher than 16th now, friend. 

Picking at 7 the team can get an elite prospect this year so my 1st round pick has definitely changed since Thanksgiving.  At this stage I always try to project where players will be picked on draft night and not where they are rated today but I plan to update as we get deeper into the off season.

• 2 months later...

Archived